• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Which of these 2 optics would you use for hunting?

vmpglenn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2004
Fitchburg, WI
I have a 16" 6.5G carbine that I'd like to use for hunting whitetail, feral pigs, and maybe even wolves (if DNR ends up allowing this).

I have two scopes I can use:

(1) Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 TMR reticle with Firedot, 1/10 mil knobs

(2) Nightforce 2.5-10x32 illuminated mildot reticle, 1/10 mil knobs, zero stop

I'm sort of drawn to the Leupold because the reticle is very bold and the Firedot seems to allow for very fast shots inside PBR for my 100 yard zero. The reticle is in mils and matches the 1/10 mil knobs, and the objective is bigger. However, I really like the NF for its precision capabilities, legendary build quality, and zero stop. I'm not all that much of a glass snob, so I could take either one in terms of pure glass quality.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Here are images of my rifle (VX-R on top, NF on bottom):

65g_reccescopes_1000.jpg

Re: Which of these 2 optics would you use for hunting?

i have the nightforce on my mws for the same type of shooting you are doing. works well for me and i don't wish for a second that i would have went with my second option.

if you already own them both, try them both out in the field? am i missing something?

seems to me more of a which should i buy question but wants to sound cool guy?

I actually own everything in the picture, but am thinking about selling one of the scopes. Thought I might ask you guys first, as I unfortunately don't have time to get out and do a lot of field testing in varying conditions. If one is clearly favored by hunters it would be helpful for me to know that. Thank you for your forbearance if my line of questioning is, well, out of line.

Funny, this is not the first time I"ve been called out for what looks like Photoshopping...
grin.gif

well well then, that clears it all up, awsome pic then, never knew a feller with two of the exact same rifle, modern gun that is

one thing for sure, you prob wont have any trouble re-selling that NF

BTW...nice guns!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well well then, that clears it all up, awsome pic then, never knew a feller with two of the exact same rifle, modern gun that is</div></div>

That picture is of the same rifle with different scopes... That is considering the wear marks on the buffer tube, witness mark on the castle nut, and the the screws lining in the exact same location. FWIW....

vmpgsc, I have both of those scopes and prefer the NF. The VX-R Patrol is decent in it's own right, however the NF is stronger, more durable, has absolutely consistent tracking, and zero stops. That little Nf is a great scope.

Sounds like you talked yourself into the loopy.
Pick the scope that YOU like best and can shoot from varying positions the best in the field.
hunting will rarely provide you with steady rests when you need on the most.
What will you be hunting with the rifles the most?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vereor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well well then, that clears it all up, awsome pic then, never knew a feller with two of the exact same rifle, modern gun that is</div></div>

That picture is of the same rifle with different scopes... That is considering the wear marks on the buffer tube, witness mark on the castle nut, and the the screws lining in the exact same location. FWIW....</div></div>

Yes, thanks for clearing that up. It is the same rifle with different scopes mounted. I do have a nearly identical rifle set up in 5.56.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">vmpgsc, I have both of those scopes and prefer the NF. The VX-R Patrol is decent in it's own right, however the NF is stronger, more durable, has absolutely consistent tracking, and zero stops. That little Nf is a great scope. </div></div>

I am getting a lot of feedback that the NF is a very good hunting scope. I'm glad to hear that, as the features on the NF and its build quality are excellent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you talked yourself into the loopy.
Pick the scope that YOU like best and can shoot from varying positions the best in the field.
hunting will rarely provide you with steady rests when you need on the most.
What will you be hunting with the rifles the most?
</div></div>

Whitetail the most, feral hogs when I get the chance.

Yep the NF is a bad A optic for out to 6-700 yards or so.

PB171289.jpg

That Muley was at 369yds if I remember correctly.

This busted up old Whitetail was at 383yds...

PB141260.jpg

We were on a backpack hunt and earlier in the day the rifle was strapped to the pack. I was glassing some deer and brewing lunch when I noticed something under foot. I was standing on the scope right at the turrets with my full weight. It upset me.... because I almost slid down the hill when I did it. I kicked the the pack/rifle out of the way and finished my coffee. When I dialed the turrets for the shot later in the evening there was absolutely zero doubt that the rifle was still zereod. The Leupold is a decent scope in it's own right, but the fact that I never have to worry what happens to the NF, and know it will track perfectly is priceless.

i would have to go with the Leupold

I have two nightforce scopes I use for hunting. I really like the low light capability and clarity of the scopes.

Whichever one you feel more comfortable with. Also, for hunting I would stick with the lighter of the two, if there is much of a difference.

Given your considerations and hunting the animals you listed with that rifle, I would choose the one that is fastest on target at low mag. But that would change if you said you shot them past 300 yards. BTW - nice pics

The only time i have need a super fast sight picture is a chance encounter with a brownie on kodiak. I still managed fine w/o a fire dot. For most other hunting i would not reccomend fast sight picture and shooting because i would not be able to ensure a clear firing line. Now if the Zombies are coming then.... i would grab the firedot scoped, whiz bang, double barrel, earth shattering, bullet zinger and get after it!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vereor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That Muley was at 369yds if I remember correctly.

This busted up old Whitetail was at 383yds...

PB141260.jpg

We were on a backpack hunt and earlier in the day the rifle was strapped to the pack. I was glassing some deer and brewing lunch when I noticed something under foot. I was standing on the scope right at the turrets with my full weight. It upset me.... because I almost slid down the hill when I did it. I kicked the the pack/rifle out of the way and finished my coffee. When I dialed the turrets for the shot later in the evening there was absolutely zero doubt that the rifle was still zereod. The Leupold is a decent scope in it's own right, but the fact that I never have to worry what happens to the NF, and know it will track perfectly is priceless. </div></div>

M40A1 return stock?

Nightforce. I have one on my 18" 6.5G and love it. Rock solid, amazing glass, great reticle (mine is NP-R2) etc. etc. Nothing but good things to say about it. The zoom range is a perfect fit for the 6.5G in the AR-15 in my opinion.

15.jpg

My disclaimer is that I have no Leupold experience, and don't want any. Spoiled on NF.

I would keep the one I liked best, but if you decide to sell the NF give me a PM.

Guys. This thread is four months old. BP dug it up for whatever reason. The OP has probably already made his decision and sold whichever he didn't end up using.

Seems like you can't go wrong with either. I like the price of the Leupold though.