• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which of these is a better buy?

Fortyfiveautomatic

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2011
Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC

20" barrel, threaded, Hogue Stock, Trigger set @ 3.5#, and I believe a hinged floorplate bottom metal

Cost $570 shipped

--OR--

The .308 Remington 700 Varmint at Dick's sporting goods:

24" barrel, no bottom metal, Remington scope, not sure on the make of stock.

Cost $450 (after rebate?)

Thoughts?

Re: Which of these is a better buy?

If just between those 2, the AAC forsure. When u get it sale the stock and have the gun bedded in aftermarket stock of your choice and it should do you very well.

I'm going to assume the varmint is chambered in 308 also. The advantage of the AAC is the faster twist(1:10 compared to 1:12) which will let you shoot heavier bullets. If you plan to push it to the limits of the round then I would go with the AAC. If you will be shooting <1000 the varmint will be just fine. Then of course if you ever want to get a suppressor the AAC is threaded from the factory. Either will be best served with a stock upgrade.

Do you need the threaded barrel? Both will need a better stock and BDL floorplates are pretty easy to come by.