• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which off-set red dot for my AR-15?

david8989

The Tactical Texan
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2011
Bowie, TX
Guys, I have an 18" 6arc AR-15 that I use as a hunting rifle with a razor lht 4.5-22 scope. Here lately we've been jumping hogs quite a bit at very close ranges, like 10-15yds, and I've been thinking how nice it would be to have an offset red dot for those snap shooting situations. One deal killer for me is that it has to have an enclosed emitter since it will be next to the ejection port. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions! The 2 front runners for me right now are the Aimpoint Acro P2 or the Aimpoint T2. Curious what your guys thoughts are, thank you!

You don't need closed emitter for being near the ejection port. Plenty in 3Gun & USPSA running offsets right over/behind the port.

For banging around the woods ruggedness is good. I'd go Trijicon RMR or SRO if the budget allows.

Reactions: david8989
Either would be a great option. The P2 is a bit more streamline and has a larger dot. For quick acquisition at closer ranges you may prefer that. It's also half the weight.

ari-5__07649.1604939959.jpg

ari-4__80725.1604939959.jpg

EUhR0rZXQAMnh__.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

stafford-acro-p1-3.jpg

Wow, great comparison pics @Clayman ! I hadn't seen much as far as pics or experience with the P2 on a rifle but I was leaning that way for all the reasons you mentioned. Thank you for the visuals!

Reactions: Clayman
Wow, great comparison pics @Clayman ! I hadn't seen much as far as pics or experience with the P2 on a rifle but I was leaning that way for all the reasons you mentioned. Thank you for the visuals!

Just to clarify, none of these pictures are mine and I've only handled an acro at a store. I previously wasn't interested until the P2 came out with it's CR2032 battery compatibility.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy one or use it for that purpose. I don't have any real world use experience with it though.

Holosun 509T and T-Rex Arms Offset mount with RMR mount. Use the adapter plate that comes with the Holosun and not the extra riser plate that comes with the mount.

This gives you a sealed solution and is priced right. 509T is on sale at a number of places as of this post. You get dot or circle dot along with a bunch of other great features.

Holosun 509T and T-Rex Arms Offset mount with RMR mount. Use the adapter plate that comes with the Holosun and not the extra riser plate that comes with the mount.

This gives you a sealed solution and is priced right. 509T is on sale at a number of places as of this post. You get dot or circle dot along with a bunch of other great features.
Good option, thanks for the heads up!

Guys, I have an 18" 6arc AR-15 that I use as a hunting rifle with a razor lht 4.5-22 scope. Here lately we've been jumping hogs quite a bit at very close ranges, like 10-15yds, and I've been thinking how nice it would be to have an offset red dot for those snap shooting situations. One deal killer for me is that it has to have an enclosed emitter since it will be next to the ejection port. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions! The 2 front runners for me right now are the Aimpoint Acro P2 or the Aimpoint T2. Curious what your guys thoughts are, thank you!
Trijicon rmr Aimpoint micro or acro

Mine all wear Holosun 407c green dots. 0 regrets. Work great and reliable. Can understand the desire for a closed emitter though so I’d look at the 509t

I have a 509T gen 1 on an arisaka and I really like it, but get the x2 if you go that route because the glass is not great on the gen 1, a lot of distortion.

Another good option is the Holosun EPS(not eps carry) on the arisaka 507k footprint direct mount.

Of course the acro is great as well and the Steiner MPS is also good.

Last edited:
I have a 509T gen 1 on an arisaka and I really like it, but get the x2 if you go that route because the glass is not great.
Are you saying the glass is better with the x2? Is the x2 compatible with the Acro P-2 base or is it its own proprietary base footprint? Lots of guys seem to love the 509t so might give it a try... would you go red or green illumination, I've always used red but low light situations seem to prefer green???

Reactions: JDB55
Are you saying the glass is better with the x2? Is the x2 compatible with the Acro P-2 base or is it its own proprietary base footprint? Lots of guys seem to love the 509t so might give it a try... would you go red or green illumination, I've always used red but low light situations seem to prefer green???
From what I have read, yes, the X2 is considerably better. The glass on the x1 has a lot of distortion but still works for snap shooting.

Me personally, I would stay with red illumination just because I feel like where I live in Tennessee and all the greens we have in the summer I may lose the dot...but I haven't tested that specifically. Outside of that it's probably down to your own eyes and what you prefer.

As far as footprint, I do believe the 509T is its own footprint, I know arisaka has 2 different plates for them for their offset mount. The 509t does come with an rmr plate that it directly attaches too.

On another note, if I was to buy now, I would probably get the Holosun EPS(not the carry it's wider), it seems equally solid and the glass is really good to my eyes. It just doesn't have the titanium but it's still 7075 aluminum. It works off the 507k footprint.

Reactions: Glassaholic
On another note, if I was to buy now, I would probably get the Holosun EPS(not the carry it's wider), it seems equally solid and the glass is really good to my eyes. It just doesn't have the titanium but it's still 7075 aluminum. It works off the 507k footprint.
You saying the glass is better on the EPS vs. the 509t x2? Or what other reason would you choose the EPS for an offset AR optic?

You saying the glass is better on the EPS vs. the 509t x2? Or what other reason would you choose the EPS for an offset AR optic?
Well, I don't have the 509t x2 so I can't accurately say. But, I do really like the EPS and the glass a lot better then my gen 1 509, in a smaller overall footprint.

Reactions: Glassaholic
My understanding is that the EPS has similar window size and glass to the x2 but with the 507 footprint, meaning it doesn’t need the extra mounting plate that the x2 does. A few advantages there for sure.
I do have both the original (x1) 509 and the x2. While I can say the glass is nicer, I don’t subscribe to the belief the difference matters. In my experience you have to look through 509 x1 like a scope/dot focused to notice a difference. I use a red dot how it was designed to be used. Target focused not dot focused.

I can echo the recommendation for the 509t. Great optic.

Here's a thought for you tho. Ive been using piggyback or offset MRDs on ARs since 2004. In a situation where you're making quick aimed shots on something that bursts out in front of you is going to trigger your reflexive muscle memory. You're going to shoulder the gun the way you always do. For that reason I've never liked the 45* offset mount. It will take cognitive action to shoulder the gun and roll it over; it will probably never be your first reaction when your blood starts pumping. It would take a couple hundred rounds a range session and a couple of sessions to rebuild a roll over presentation shot as instinctive action. Probably not something you're willing to do on a 6Arc. I've always favored a 12 o'clock MRD mount for this reason. Or alternatively you could consider switching to a 1-8/10x scope on that gun to suit the style of hunting. Keep it on 1x. I'm willing to bet just based on most people's current baked-in muscle memory they'd be faster with a 1x LPVO than a, down-the-rail, 45* offset unless they dry fire and reinforce with live fire.
Ill add that the 45 just gets in the way and bumped alot.

My biggest problem was frozen condensation on the scope from exhaling when using the red dot in cold weather.

Took that shit right back off.