• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which one?-7mm mag or 7mm wsm

steeltex

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2009
ND
Hey guy's Help me decide which one to chamber my next gun in. The barrel is on its way. I first decided on the 7mm mag because brass and ammo are easy to find.But I'm starting to have second thoughts.Yea, the 7mm mag is easier to find when it comes to brass and ammo, and it's a couple bucks cheaper, but that doesn't concern me too much. I'm more concerned about how accurate the 7mm mag is when it come to the belted case and how apparently the 7mm mag takes a little more to dial in that "sweet load" because of it's weird pressure issues.

From doing some digging on the internet, it looks like more people choose the 7mm wsm when it comes to competitions. It seems to be more accurate and more efficent. One thing I'm wondering about is barrel life. Does the 7mm wsm burn barrels faster? Because some guys talk about having their barrels done for in as little as 700-900 rounds . Where as it seems like most guys talk about getting upwards of almost 2000 rds out of their 7mm mag.

I'd appreciate any info you can give me about the both of them. I'm pulling my hair out trying to commit to what I want to do. Oh, in case it matters the barrel is 31" and I'll be shooting a 162 Amax over Retumbo

Re: Which one?-7mm mag or 7mm wsm

I would say the barrel life is exactly the same.

I went 7wsm because the case isn't belted.

Don't concern yourself with the belt. There are a lot of old myths about belted magnums and most don't hold water. The only issue I had with belted magnums was the bulge above the belt. But that is an easy issue to resolve with the right equipment.

Now between the two rounds you mentioned I think it is a toss-up. Both are very capable and will get you down range just fine. Personally I'd pick the Remington Magnum but that is just because I have experience with that round. If I didn't have experience with belted magnums though I'd run the WSM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't concern yourself with the belt. There are a lot of old myths about belted magnums and most don't hold water. The only issue I had with belted magnums was the bulge above the belt. But that is an easy issue to resolve with the right equipment.

Now between the two rounds you mentioned I think it is a toss-up. Both are very capable and will get you down range just fine. Personally I'd pick the Remington Magnum but that is just because I have experience with that round. If I didn't have experience with belted magnums though I'd run the WSM.</div></div>

It's not exactly a myth. The whole reason for the belted case is extraction, not accuracy. In spite of the belt, rounds can be accurate. But, they have to start out with tight specs to begin with.

That said you can make a belted case just as accurate as a non-belted case by neck sizing. That way you headspace on the shoulder instead of the belt. It's a proven fact that headspacing off the shoulder is more accurate. How accurate the rifle needs to be is determined beforehand. Do this by choosing a cartridge to meet your needs. If you only need a 1 or 1/2 MOA rifle then a tight spec'd belted cartridge can get that. But, if you need tighter accuracy with quality bulk loaded rounds, then I would go with a beltless cartridge.

Also, the bulge just above the belt can be minimized by not loading as hot as the round will go. You give up a bit in velocity but bullet choice will still get you there faster than the next smaller case.

I personally shoot a 7 WSM. Mostly because there wasn't much around here for 7 RSAUM. From the guys I've shot with they are getting the same velocity as what I can get with a bit less powder. The 7 Rem Mag can get a bit more velocity. But, with almost ten more grains of powder. I know of a Savage Tactical (early model 12) that shoots right at .5 MOA. If that's all the accuracy you expect from a first fired case then that's a good choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't concern yourself with the belt. There are a lot of old myths about belted magnums and most don't hold water. The only issue I had with belted magnums was the bulge above the belt. But that is an easy issue to resolve with the right equipment.

Now between the two rounds you mentioned I think it is a toss-up. Both are very capable and will get you down range just fine. Personally I'd pick the Remington Magnum but that is just because I have experience with that round. If I didn't have experience with belted magnums though I'd run the WSM.</div></div>

It's not exactly a myth. The whole reason for the belted case is extraction, not accuracy. In spite of the belt, rounds can be accurate. But, they have to start out with tight specs to begin with.

That said you can make a belted case just as accurate as a non-belted case by neck sizing. That way you headspace on the shoulder instead of the belt. It's a proven fact that headspacing off the shoulder is more accurate. How accurate the rifle needs to be is determined beforehand. Do this by choosing a cartridge to meet your needs. If you only need a 1 or 1/2 MOA rifle then a tight spec'd belted cartridge can get that. But, if you need tighter accuracy with quality bulk loaded rounds, then I would go with a beltless cartridge.

Also, the bulge just above the belt can be minimized by not loading as hot as the round will go. You give up a bit in velocity but bullet choice will still get you there faster than the next smaller case.

I personally shoot a 7 WSM. Mostly because there wasn't much around here for 7 RSAUM. From the guys I've shot with they are getting the same velocity as what I can get with a bit less powder. The 7 Rem Mag can get a bit more velocity. But, with almost ten more grains of powder. I know of a Savage Tactical (early model 12) that shoots right at .5 MOA. If that's all the accuracy you expect from a first fired case then that's a good choice. </div></div>

This is what I was talking about. I got sub MOA accuracy out of my 7mm RM as a factory rifle shooting commercial ammunition. And with handloads things really tightened up (and this is with FL resize every loading). So this thing of only being able to get 1-1 1/2 MOA with out of the box stuff is BS. Also look at Weatherby, they get sub MOA out of a lot of many their rifles and all Weatherby rounds are belted magnums.

As for the bulge, yes it can be minimized by loading down but why? Magnums are high pressure rounds by design. And the point of a magnum is to get the most velocity out of a given bullet. Also the bulge can easily be corrected with the collet die from Larry Willis (I have one and it works great).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't concern yourself with the belt. There are a lot of old myths about belted magnums and most don't hold water. The only issue I had with belted magnums was the bulge above the belt. But that is an easy issue to resolve with the right equipment.

I personally shoot a 7 WSM. Mostly because there wasn't much around here for 7 RSAUM. From the guys I've shot with they are getting the same velocity as what I can get with a bit less powder. The 7 Rem Mag can get a bit more velocity. But, with almost ten more grains of powder. I know of a Savage Tactical (early model 12) that shoots right at .5 MOA. If that's all the accuracy you expect from a first fired case then that's a good choice. </div></div>

This is what I was talking about. I got sub MOA accuracy out of my 7mm RM as a factory rifle shooting commercial ammunition. And with handloads things really tightened up (and this is with FL resize every loading). So this thing of only being able to get 1-1 1/2 MOA with out of the box stuff is BS. Also look at Weatherby, they get sub MOA out of a lot of many their rifles and all Weatherby rounds are belted magnums.

As for the bulge, yes it can be minimized by loading down but why? Magnums are high pressure rounds by design. And the point of a magnum is to get the most velocity out of a given bullet. Also the bulge can easily be corrected with the collet die from Larry Willis (I have one and it works great). </div></div>

Most Weatherby rifles I've loaded for do not get sub-MOA. I've even assisted a friend who got the Sub-MOA Vanguard...and it don't shoot sub MOA.

But I will say that we are quite possibly on the same sheet of music when it comes to people thinking belted cartridges can't be accurate. With necksized handloads my .300 WM was getting .3-.5 MOA typically @ 300, 500,600 and 800. More typically, the farther out I got the .5 grew to a 1 or so. But that's me, not the rifle.

As for loading down a magnum, they were not specifically designed to shoot high pressure. Just to add more volume for a longer stronger push. So, by loading down a bit you get exponential results in less barrel wear. Better brass life, and therefore consistency. I usually used WCC (A191) brass in my .300 WM.

The point about collet sizing down the bulge is well taken. Next time I get into a belted magnum that may well be something to get to help with the reloading of it.

my response wasn't because I thought belted magnums aren't accurate. My response was due to the bulge above the belt.

I would go with the WSM. They are popular so getting brass won't be a problem in the future like it could be with the SAUM

I went the 7mm Rem Mag route and couldn't be happier. Retumbo/168VLD's... plenty accurate out to 1K.

Norma makes brass in 300SAUM which is only a neck down away from being 7SAUM. Not that simple making a 300WSM Norma case to 7WSM due to the longer headspace of the 7WSM case.

The 7Wizzer has way too much case capacity and eats away the throat like nothing! 7SAUM has just the right amount! Still able to drive 180 bergers at 3000fps, why would you want anything els?

Also, due to the shorter case length of the SAUM, mag feeding while chasing lands is much easier with the SAUM than the WSM.

SAUM also has a longer neck which leads to longer throat life.

I didn't know norma made the 300SAUM brass. I guess you could buy up enough for the life of the barrel and be good to go.

They sure do. All you have to do is neck size it down to 7mm and you are set. Not so easy with the 7WSM though. If you anneal, 200 cases will be enough to burn your barrel out before you need new brass.

7WSM and .300 WSM are different sizes too, even though fairly similar. So you have to live with a short neck or trim if you go vice-versa. .300 and .270 are the same case. And yes the RSAUM's are the same case. That is a good point.

The reason I only load to 2900 is better case and barrel life. Same good accuracy.

Got a 7mm rem mag that is 10yrs old and still shoots sub moa love it. never had prob. with accuracy. How ever to be equal I can not speak for the other cal. as I have not owned one. I Think it will be a person preference mainly long action vs short as stated above.

I can only comment on the RM as thats what I shoot. I went with it because I already had a LA mag 700 and tons of reloading gear on hand. I had my barrel chambered to space off the shoulder (thanks 7mmRM), not the belt. I got 8 reloads from my last batch of Rem brass, dumping them because of loose primer pockets. I never had any bulging issues, spliting, etc. running 67 grains of R22 and the Amax. Plenty accurate, averages around 5/8". I had an easy time finding a load. Tried R19, Retumbo, and R22 settling on the latter.

LA: .284 Win loaded long
SA: .284 Win loaded short

You do need a .308 bolt though