• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which one for 10x? IOR Valdada or SWFA SS HD

fnbrowning

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
St. Louis Missouri
Rifle Platform: Armalite AR10; 175gr SMK
Ranges: 100 to 300yd commonly; but not over 600yd.
Purpose: Accurate, tactical-style shooting at paper. Occasional load development for AR15 & AR10 at 100yds.

I've narrowed my choices to a fixed 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope. The two I'd like help choosing between are listed below, and are $50.00 apart on the same website. Specifically, with respect to clarity & durability, which of these $800 scopes comes closest to the inimitable U.S. Optics ST-10?

<span style="text-decoration: underline">SWFA SS HD 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope</span>
•Mil-Quad Reticle •Rear Focus • .10 Mrad
•HD Model Weight: 20oz • First Focal Plane Mil-Quad
Eye Relief: 3.75" • Field of View @ 100yds: 10.5ft

<span style="text-decoration: underline">IOR Valdada 10x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope</span>
•MP-8 •Side Focus • {<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Focal plane not listed?</span></span>}
•Magnum lock support system on reticle {<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">What's this mean??</span></span>}
•Side focus from 50yds to infinity
Weight: 24oz • Length: 12.5" • Eye Relief: 4"
Field of View @ 100yds: 14.5ft

Feel free to ask any questions if I missed a point.
Thank you for your input!

Re: Which one for 10x? IOR Valdada or SWFA SS HD

On the IOR the Focal Plane is not listed because it is a fixed power scope. The reticle is always going to be the same seeing the power cant change.

Reactions: Saracen

I've had both and for that I'd pick a 10X USO or find a deal on a variable like a 5-20X super sniper both of those can be had for 1k.

Or, 300$ for a super sniper reg with mil quad, I have one and it works fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had both and for that I'd pick a 10X USO or find a deal on a variable like a 5-20X super sniper both of those can be had for 1k.

Or, 300$ for a super sniper reg with mil quad, I have one and it works fine. </div></div>

Thanks for the reply BCP.
You know, the 10x USO is nearly twice as much in cost, and I'm not that well-heeled; spending that much is going to crimp $$ for firearm ammo & accessories.

If I was comfortable with the regular $300 SWFA line, the SWFA SS 12x42 would be the right fit. But I'm really concerned about the glass clarity. There have been some comments here and elsewhere about less than optimal light transmission. Do you or anyone wish to comment about the glass on the regular $300 SWFA line?

{<span style="font-style: italic">Note to BCP: I want to PM - you're over your PM limit. email me</span>.}

The SWFA SS 12X is fine. Shooting my 22LR with my SWFA 20X this morning with great clarity and tracking. It would save you money for other things and suit you well to get you started out to 600 yds. Very fine reticle, but may be difficult to pick up against a dark background. You might have issues with 10 or 12 X to 600, but then I have shitty old eyes.

I have never had a SS scope so I can't tell you anything about them. I have a bit of experience with IORs, and I've been very happy. I really like the glass in the IOR scopes.

fnbrowning My wife and I just did a side by side comparison between my USO 20 Anniversary SN-3 T-Pal and a SWFA SS 10x I bought 5 or so years ago. The SWFA SS has a slight advantage over the T-Pal configuration because of the extra lens in the T-Pal. At least that is what I was told.
Looking at them side by side several times at 50 yards in the light of a flash on dim, the SS had a smaller sight frame then the USO at 10x. The difference in clarity was slight but the winner was the SS.
The SS was my first precision scope and with the new features like mil/mil and the reticule I could not see passing it up. I have no experience with IOR except for an incident where I was going to purchase one and did some research. I was set to buy the IOR, and was getting a great deal until I realized that IOR is always improving their systems making the old ones obsolete. I believe it is a quicker rate then I except with putting over $1000 into something. I expect to get a decade of service out of it without have to jump through all the hoops if something messes up. SWFA has been great to me to boot.
This is an orange to apple comparison because you have to add in for all the features that the USO has (illumination, magnification, reticule, erek, ect…) compare to the SS which is simple and effective.

The wife and I both agree on the results. I wonder if I should tell her she preferred the SS (cheaper) over the USO (greatly more expense).

I have the SS12x. I've used it only at a 100 yard range. That range the targets are built under an over hang so they are in the shadows. In the daytime, whether there is overcast or not, there are no clarity problems. OP, If you are only planning in using your scope as you suggest I recommend the SS, 10 or 12x, I think you would like the 12x more for the extra power. I really do like the reticle. I have never looked thru an IOR but for what I use my SS for there is no way I can justify the extra cost of the IOR, or the SS HD 10x. Milquad reticle is definately a precition retical. My groups shrank dramatically as soon as I slapped that sucker on my LR-308. Worth every penny of $300. I have absolutely no complaints for the SS 12x, and it's mil/mil.

BTW: I will not be looking at any variable scopes. -Thanks
That's silly there are several GREAT variables that can be had for a grand or less new and used.

I will not argue that at a reasonable power, the variable can be quite useful. But against all common sense, one tends to dial up to the max, or dial up and down the range too often, fiddling with the scope instead of shooting better.

I want to spend hard-earned cash on a scope of superior optics and design quality, and several posters want to recommend a variable. So I will put out a list of what I think would get be interested in considering a variable scope. I should tell you know that I have a Springfield Gov't Model 4x14-56 on the rifle now. I'm tired of it. It's TOO big and TOO heavy. The first 2 items below are firm, and the price has to be between $800 & $1599.

(1) Objective must be under 56mm.
(2) Lowest possible weight and length. Must be 14.5 or under.
(3) Parallax adjustment
(4) Mil-Quad Reticle

I know this is a lot to demand on a variable. But to be fair, I'm charmed by the SWFA SS 10x42HD with it's low 20oz weight and 13.5" length, and reasonable price.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I agree with your personal rationale regarding variable scopes, but are you sure that you want to put a 10x scope on an AR platform? Target acquisition is gonna be a PITA at 50-100 yards. Maybe get a 6x for your purpose and go from there?

Also, getting competent at "fiddling" with the scope is a rather important fundamental part of shooting better. :)

By the way, between your presented options, the IOR is built better and there are no focal planes whatsoever on a fixed zoom scope. ;) Also, you do not seem to be comparing / considering reticles and turret settings; just make sure that whatever scope you pick up has the measurement system of your preference AND matches the reticle, with all turrets being on the same metric if you are a beginner.

Last edited:
The leupold M3 3.5-10 would be a good fit, so would the super sniper 3-9 for a light general purpose variable. All things considered I'd rather have something like the super sniper 5-20 or IOR 3-18. They weigh a bit more but you have a higher mag on the top end for load development and you can turn it down to 5-6 and have a wide field of view, plus you have a FFP reticule so your holds are the same at any power and with a 10mil elevation knob you can dial to 1k yards in one turn depending on your zero and your load. just my 2cents

(4) Mil-Quad Reticle

Well, that takes the IOR or ANY scope that isn't SWFA out of the equation, so your decision is already made for you.

The SWFA is a fine scope, but for 750 you could have a 3-15x ffp with an illuminated, enhanced mil dot reticle.

Oh, by the way, IMHO, the MP-8 is a superior reticle.