• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which one ? SR25 type or AR10 type

Tank

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2002
California
So Im in the market for an AR 308 type rifle. Thinking initially a 16-18 inch barrel type of upper.

Which platform is your choice or recomendation ??

Reasons ? Other then magazines are there any huge differences between the two types ??

I searched but didnt find what I was looking for.

Re: Which one ? SR25 type or AR10 type

No big difference except for the mags. With the DPMS platform, you get DPMS, KAC, Cproducts, and Pmag-LR mags. Personally, the improved mag options for the DPMS mags steers me that direction.

Also, there are just more upper and lower receiver choices in the dpms/sr25 pattern.

My advice would be for you to buy all of the parts and have a smith do the barrel work and assemble the thing. APA seems like a great choice. I am in the process of doing this. You will save some money over the top brands (JP, larue, etc) and probably have your gun quicker. It will probably out-perform the factory guns.
One detail- I would go for an adjustable gas block. Some people think that the ability to precisely adjust the gas to the load and rifle can result in greater accuracy.

Dtac - Thats pretty much what I intend to do. Nothing against them (stock factory rifles) but Im more interested in someone like GAP or APA building the rifle for me once I get most of the parts I want. Though do to were I live Im not sure if a stripped or lower only will work with my exemption

In New York State,our gun laws mirror the 1994 assault weapons ban almost word for word,and they didn't sunset in 2004. Due to this,current production DPMS pattern mags and Armalite Gen2 mags are not legal here. Armalite AR10's have the Gen1 mags that are made from NY legal pre-ban M14 mags. DPMS pattern rifle owners are stuck using 10 round magazines unless they can find some pre-ban SR25 magazines which are probably very rare and expensive. That being said,if you live in a state that allows current production high cap magazines, the majority of 308 AR type rifles being manufactured are using the SR25/DPMS pattern mag.

I have a GAP SASS rifle and I can say that it is awesome. I can shoot 3/4 MOA all day but can get a 1/2 MOA out of it sometimes. I am sure a better shooter could wring out more accuracy then I can but I love the rifle.

I contacted GA Precision and they are taking build orders for their 308 semi autos but said that they are very backed up. I did not want to wait 9-10 months so I just ordered a DPMS SASS. I can now send it to GAP and have them upgrade it.

I plan to build both. Iron ridge lowers in armalite and Dpms. Personally I like the armalite a bit better. Their new forward assist reciever and bolt carrier with AR15 serrations feel more familiar. The AR10.bolt head is better balanced. Other than that I suppose it is a tossup.Noveske makes barrels for armalite(when they are in stock). Both platforms should be equally accurate. I saw some guy on AR15.com recently modify a magpul pmag308 to fit and function well in the ArmaliteAr10. I hope someone contacts Magpul about this. If this guy can do it Magpul can. The other reason I like Armalite is that I can legitamately call it an AR10. The others you have to call a LR308. Doesn't roll off the tongue as easily. Just my .02

I think that Armalite is the best rifle for the money, but the LMT and OBR will be the best available. The mag issue really isn't one. Armalite mags are available in 5,10,15,20,and 25 round versions, are extremely reliable, and can be had for $30 each. If you really have to have a P-mag, you can mod the 308 P-mag with a belt sander. It actually seems to work very well.

Either way, the SR-25 (Knights, Larue, and LMT, I believe are all the SR-25 pattern) and AR-10 types are great, high-quality firearms, and I don't think you could go wrong with either.

So Im in the market for an AR 308 type rifle. Thinking initially a 16-18 inch barrel type of upper.

Which platform is your choice or recomendation ??

Reasons ? Other then magazines are there any huge differences between the two types ??

I searched but didnt find what I was looking for.

Are you looking to buy a complete rifle or build one? If building one I would suggest trying to find a Mega-Maten upper/ lower and hand guard kit. The only downside is since Zev got involved they are not making them anymore, but you can still find some around if you look.

SR25 all the way unless you live in a place where they aren't legal. way more current/future development in that pattern as it is quickly becoming the industry norm.

build it yourself - that is always the answer imo. you'll save enough in your first build to purchase all of the tools/gauges needed to build a safe, reliable, and accurate AR.

I'd start with an upper/lower from Aero unless you are going for a very light weight build, then I"d go 2A armament (very nice, though expensive). this is only what I'd purchase, as long as you stay away from the bottom rung of the junk out there you'll be fine. These companies are capable of producing decent stuff - but their failure rate for out of spec parts makes me just pass.

the selection of your barrel and trigger will be based on the purpose of your rifle - handy deer rifle? 16" med profile. 800 yd steel banging? 24" heavy profile.