• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

which one?

heavy boolitt

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2011
wisconsin usa
Hi everybody,i need your opinons on what ishoulddo ,wife likes the tikka t3lite ,but they dont import the 260,or 6.5x55se.she wants a cal. that will drop a black bear if needed andwhitetails ,and something she can shoot allday.she has a sav. mdl.11,308 right now shootin 178 amax. but kicks too much for her.so she doesn't shoot much,any more.iwant her back stootin with me. should i rebarrel to a.260 or get a cz 550 in 6.5x55se or a howa 1500 6.5x55se? ithought about abreak but dont want her to go deaf when she hunts deer with me. and if i went the cz route would a 1-9 twst stabilize a140grn or would ineed a 1-8 twst? iwould like to thankyou all in advance. s

Re: which one?

I think 260 might be a little ruff on the wallet to shoot all day. recoil wise it might be a bit better

might wanna look at 6.5 creed

I am in the same situation, my wife wanted something light but then did not want to shoot it because it kicked too much so I gave her my 700 LTR and bought myself and M24.
At 10 pounds it seems to have enough weight to offset the recoil for her.

Have you thought about .25-06?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: red6actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Have you thought about .25-06? </div></div>

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading down the posts. cheaper ammo than the others considered in the initial thread and she can shoot it all day no problem

Great, then try the Hodgdons youth loads. You can send a 125 Nosler BT at the same 100 Y trajectory as you full load. They should be good on deer up to around 250Y.

I load up a 125 Nosler BT over 37 Of H4895, my 13 year old daughter shoots them like a champ.

I also like the fact that they are green tipped, so you can keep a few amax loads with you and not get them mixed up.

would the 120s or 90s from the 6.5 be good to practice with,then use the 130s or 140s to hunt with . ive been really checkin to the 6.5 creed.

Sounds like you have your heart set on that 6.5, don't see why not. I don't shoot 6.5 at the moment, but we have done the same with 7x57. 120's and 140's.

Looking up the ballistic info for the 6.5 creed looks like the 120 @ 3000 fps, produces the same energy as the 140 @ 2800 fps.

Looks like its time to call Shilen.

I'm not sure the 260rem will kick that much less than the 308. I would look into buying or creating some "manages recoil loads" for the 308. But, if you are looking for a reason for another gun, don't let anything get in your way.

iwill check into to abox mngd recoil loads,and load some 125bt to have her try out.still kickin around the idea of the muscle brake,just dont want it to be to loud.i have never heard one first hand just what other people say.
(p.s. I could see having a 6.5 in the crowd)