• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Which one?

ocherp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
I'm looking at getting either a SIG Mosquito or Walther P22, pros and cons of each. Any suggestions?

Re: Which one?

I had the Walther and sold it for a Mosquito.

My take was that the Sig was of much better feel and quality than the Walther. However, the Walther had better magazines than the Sig. Although the Sig feels different than its larger 22x series cousins, it certainly felt more like a real pistol in my hands. The Walther felt more like a toy.

The Walther now belongs to a friend of mine. He isn't the best at gun care, but has in no way abused it. It has since fallen apart. The muzzle weight won't stay in place. There is either a FTF or FTE about every other round. I could go on and on.

The Sig has held up well, but i'm still not wild about the plastic frame and aluminum slide.

If you have the money, and want a combat pistol in .22lr, do the conversion unit route. Otherwise, go with the traditional .22lr pistols for plinking (Ruger MkII, Colt Woodsman, Buckmark, S&W 41, etc.)

What are you wanting to shoot? There are many "better" .22 pistols, suggestions will come faster and easier if we know what you are wanting the gun to do for you.

I have a P22 for a few years now,no complaints at all my buddy had bought one also around the same time had had feeding issues turned out to mag problems which Walther swapped out.

Walther SP22.

M3 version, 6" match barrel.

Remove the rails and it dont look too bad.

Shoots everytime, adjustable match trigger.

M1 version 4" barrel for plinkin.

There are A LOT of used Mosquitos for sale. That says something to me. Also, we have gotten back about 30% of the ones sold at my local shoot and scoot. We were thinking it was ammo preference like many 22's, I do not own one so I never investigated the cause.

Between my son and I, we now have 5 P22s. No problems yet. Just read the manual for ammo list. There are big differences in ammo quality and some brands function better than others. Don't get the 5" P22, just the standard. The long barrel gun can be a problem at times.
Also, we both run ours suppressed. They work and they are lightweight and fun to shoot.
I did see one with over 15K rounds thru it and low maintenance break a slide once. But it was a range gun and had been handled and shot by a world of "newbies". Walther replaced it with no problem.

I have the Sig. My buddy has the Walther. the trigger on both are less than good. What do you plan to do with this buy?

The Ruger platform would be my suggestion for you over the 2 that caught your eye so far. Suppressed, integrally suppressed, regular, plain jane, etc. They run and shoot very well.

GSG-1911

f1gsg1911.jpg

GSG-1911 if you're looking for a rimfire that points/shoots/looks like a typical centerfire handgun. Reliability so far for mine has been absolutely stellar. 2,700 rounds before the lead/grease built up on the feedramp, and I got the occasional FTF.

Plus its full sized. Big plus if you're looking to practice, and the barrel is threaded straight from the factory...

Im not the only person blown away with the quality of this gun

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1230266

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=277607

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=277715

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=279422

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ocherp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just looking for one to run a can on and do some plinking for the most part </div></div>

They will both do that. The triggers are shill crappy though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Ruger platform would be my suggestion for you over the 2 that caught your eye so far. Suppressed, integrally suppressed, regular, plain jane, etc. They run and shoot very well. </div></div>

+ 1

This is the way I went with my 2nd quiet 22. I have an Oasis upper on a 45/22 lower and it is a joy to play with.

I'll start by saying I'm a Sig guy 99% of the time. Sigs are great, however I do own a P22. Part of that is since I bought the P22 before I got into Sigs. A good friend bought a Mosquito and I've put around 100 rounds down it. I still like the feel and reliability of the Walther. Both guns do tend to get upset regarding ammo selection and general grip / fire technique, but the P22 performs slightly better in my experiences.

I haven't owned a sig, but I do own a P22. I have never had a problem with it, and it has never been picky on what ammo it feeds and extracts. I have ran all of the bulk offerings through it and never had a problem. It was my only 22 handgun for a while so it got a work out, I have since added a smith and wesson 422 to use with my can. I grab the 422 90% of the time now, and cannot say enough about it. The 422 is highly underated, and the last 2 I have seen for sale have been less then $300

I have shot both and honestly they both suck! lack of accuracy in either one, sig feeding sucked, walther is tiny and feels like a toy.

get either a browning buckmark or ruger mkIII and have the barrel threaded you won't regret it or tactical solutions makes a barrel for either one.

had the walther fired afew times wasnt much to write home about
neither good or bad in my opinion.