• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which optic for first all-around bolt action rifle (<$1000)?

Chris17404

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2020
Hi all,

I'm a relatively new member and have been reading a lot and learning from everyone here. This is my first post. I appreciate everyone's experience-based knowledge sharing on this site. I'd especially like to thank LowLight and Dark Lord of Optics. I have watched several of their videos and read their blogs and posts and it's great to get so much objective knowledge from them.

I am planning on purchasing my first bolt action file. This will be a max 500 yard rifle (because that's the max range distance I have access to). While I'll be using this rifle to build my marksmanship skills, I'd also like it to play a practical/all-around role. I have chosen the Tikka T3X CTR 6.5CM w/ 20" barrel. Now I need to choose an optic. After a great deal of reading and learning, I have narrowed my choices down to these:

• Vortex Viper PST 2 3-15x44 EBR-7C MRAD
  • Nightforce SHV 4-14X50 F1 Mil-R
  • Steiner P4Xi 4-16x56 SCR Mil
  • Brownell's MPO 3-18x50 N-OMR
  • Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 FFP MRAD
  • SWFA SS 3.5-15x42 Mil
My goal is to find a scope that has good quality glass, a practical FFP reticle that is usable at all magnification levels, and is a good all-around scope I can grow into with a proven track record. I do not currently hunt, so weight is not a concern. To that end, I'd like a scope with a low-end magnification in the 3-4x range and a high-magnification in the 14-18x range. I'm looking for an exposed elevation turret with a return to zero feature, solid and repeatable clicks, but not necessarily locking. Capped windage turret. Mil adjustments, mil reticle. Parallax adjustment is desired. Illuminated reticle is preferred. Budget is less than $1000.

Now, the only 2 of these scopes that I've been able to look through are the Vortex and the NF. While they both seem excellent, that was in a big-box store which isn't much help. I know the Vortex is a very popular scope that has many followers. The NF is quality too, but to me the eye box seemed smaller than the Vortex. Now, the others on this list come straight from Dark Lord of Optics highly-valued recommendations.

The Steiner is a proven brand that just seems to "fit" the Tikka. I really like the reticle and it's low-light capabilities are great. I realize that it's discontinued, but I'm sure I could find one somewhere. The Meopta is another quality brand, a good reticle designed by DLO and has a wider mag range. The dark horse in this list is the Brownell's scope. I would not have normally considered this due to it being new and unproven but DLO speaks very highly of it. I like the reticle very much, especially the double horizontal lines making it more visible at lower magnification as well as the vertical hash marks on the tree. They make sense to my eyes. Lastly, the SWFA has a long track record of being pretty-much bomb proof with quality glass at a good price.

So that's where I am. I'm eager to make a choice, and get out and shoot. That's where the real learning happens. Hopefully I've given you enough information about my goals such that you can provide some insights and recommendations based on your own experience. In addition to specific optics, if you have recommendations on what specific features to look for in an optic that would help as well. I look forward to your replies.

Chris

Last edited:
1.) Its always recommended to use the search function, either on here or via google. If you put "snipers hide" at the end of your search you'll find alot of hits that will get you most of the info you're looking for. Most of these scopes have been heavily reviewed on here and theres a "What scope for less than $1000?" thread at least once a week.

2.) I have the Steiner 4-16 and really like it for the money. I bought it used off the PX here (you'll need to upgrade to use the PX). For the money I think its a hell of a scope. The 56mm obj does great in low light and illumination is nice. I do like the reticle, although the EBR-2c on my Razor 3-18 is my favorite. The glass is not Razor quality, but its damn good, and on par with my buddies Nightforce NXS, maybe not quite as nice.

I've looked through an SHV and it seems like another great option for the money. If I were in your shoes, I would either go SHV or PX4i. I cannot however, comment on the Brownells, Meopta, or SWFA

The Tikka won't let you down.🎯
CTR or Super Varmint will be good.
Sounds like the Steiner has your attention.
I would go with the NightForce or spend a bit more for a Vortex Razor.
I have a Razor, it is rock solid and an excellent warranty.
Spend some time just prowling the shops, working out what you want.
Check out what's available, and a decent sales rep will let you try them all.
There is so much choice.
Don't skimp on scope rings, check out some of the horror stories on here about
high end scopes, and shitbox rings.
Most of all, walk away with a rig that you are satisfied with.
I guarantee, it won't be your last.

Reactions: DubfromGA
I have the SHV 4-14 F1 and like it a lot but it costs a little over your budget. I also have a Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTS 4.5-18 which is currently on sale at Cameraland at a great price.

On your list: NF would be my choice

(I’ll be that guy)
Off your list and usually for sale at Natchez or in px here would be 3-15 Burris XTRII

Ares etr.

very hard to beat for the money.
I have the ctr 24” in 6.5.

the two are 1/2 moa all day with factory 140 eld-m. Have shot a few groups in the .3s

only downside is tikka’s slower barrels but you will have zero issues at the stated ranges. 500 is boringly easy with that setup.

I can also vouch for swfa glass, but would take the etr all day on a LR setup. Way better turrets and glass is g2g.

i run etr on my LR setup and SWFA on my hunting rig.

Steiner or MPO would get my vote... I'm going to wait and see what kind of discounts can be had with either one on black friday and then make my purchase accordingly. I will also putting it on a Tikka.

I'm anxious to compare either one optically to my S&B PMII I have on hand. It's crazy how much Mid-Low tier optics have improved!

Edit: Not sure if you can buy the Steiner new anymore. Can't seem to find one?

I have the P4XI and it’s a great optic. Glass is great, reticle is nice. Elevation turret is a little stiff but it tracks right on the money.

Attachments

• A163B068-92D2-4F74-9D6A-25B1733111EF.jpeg
    A163B068-92D2-4F74-9D6A-25B1733111EF.jpeg
    586.9 KB · Views: 68
Of your list, the Vortex and NF would go on my rifle. I'll add the various Leupold MK5 3-18s that are being blown out by everyone who jumped on a certain sale earlier in the year. There's no shortage of ad's for people now needing to reallocate their funds elsewhere. I've got the illuminated reticle version, which does pop the price a bit higher but, to me it was worth it. Great glass, hits the power range you want and priced pretty well. Made in the USA as well, which at times, is definitely the deciding factor for me.

Come to think of it, there isn't any glass on any of my rifles that isn't either Leupold, Vortex or NF, save for the crappy Redfield rimfire sitting on my Dad's old lever action Henry .22. I just can't bring myself to take it off, or even level it for that matter. For some reason, it hits where you aim....but that's another story for another day..

You won't go wrong with your choice, you're doing your homework and if you ever do decide to change, you'll be able to flip any of what you're looking at for a decent amount and get something else. Let us know what you decide!

Pretty much all good scopes.
I have a Vortex Razor on my Tikka 6.5, absolutely no complaints with that piece of kit.
Pretty hard to go wrong with any of them.
Hard part is deciding which one to snaffle.

I just picked up a new SHV MIL-R F1 for under 1100$ for a new rifle build that will be used for hunting and target shooting.

For your price range, I would look at the Nightforce SHV at Euro Optics and the Steiner P4Xi at Camera Land NY.

I've owned burris xtr, I can't complain for the price. You can find one for under $1000, tracks well, 34mm tube, glass is plenty clear, plenty of elevation. I bought one from ebay several years back 5x25 brand new for $750. I have higher end scopes, and also have a Bushnell hdmr. The turret is better than the hdmr IMO, but still like my hdmr and still in use for competition in one of my rifle.