• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which optic or dot for an SBR FAL? Update

mrtoyz

Armchair Commando
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2009
Western WA
Looking for optic opinions for my SBR FAL.
Couple FAQ’s:
Barrel is 13.5”
I’ve run a cheap 1-6 Wasn’t in love with the optic
Currently run the T1 in pic
This FAL is surprisingly accurate
Currently thinking I want some magnification
56B73FCA-5194-48C1-8510-7FE0A8AE6BF6.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: PBWalsh
No info on optic but that stock setup looks interesting. Haven't messed w/ FALs in years but still have some. Quick search - ACR w/ Lucky Irishman adapter? Also see DSA has something similar but like the looks of yours better.

Have you ever tried running a holographic with a flip to the side magnifier? It would get you some magnification but also give you the speed of the holographic.

Elcan is built like a tank, as is the gun, but damn they’re heavy!!!

They only come in at like 5 to 8 oz heavier than an LPVO with rings. Throw a quick detach setup on an LPVO and it is a wash.

I’m waiting on my stamp to come in for my DSA 13” OSW. I’m going to put an Aimpoint Comp M4S with a Bobro mount on it. That setup is 16 oz, but I don’t know if that weight includes the battery. The bare rifle is about 9 lbs 6 oz. I’m putting a Rugged Razor on it (15.3 oz)

I’m considering other options, but I want to see how it shoots before I start thinking about a magnifier, not a huge fan, or an LPVO.

I’m not quite seeing what makes OP’s rifle an SBR, unless that flash hider isn’t permanently attached.

Last edited:
Thats a fine looking FAL. No suggestions, just wanted to comment on your rifle.

They only come in at like 5 to 8 oz heavier than an LPVO with rings. Throw a quick detach setup on an LPVO and it is a wash.

I’m waiting on my stamp to come in for my DSA 13” OSW. I’m going to put an Aimpoint Comp M4S with a Bobro mount on it. That setup is 16 oz, but I don’t know if that weight includes the battery. The bare rifle is about 9 lbs 6 oz. I’m putting a Rugged Razor on it (15.3 oz)

I’m considering other options, but I want to see how it shoots before I start thinking about a magnifier, not a huge fan, or an LPVO.

I’m not quite seeing what makes OP’s rifle an SBR, unless that flash hider isn’t permanently attached.
Flash hider is being removed

Well, you probably already know you need something low. Very low. FAL was designed to keep the head down in combat (according to the manual) and that's why the sights and everything are so damn low on that rifle. I tried to make one into an SDM rifle some years back and gave up. Though the Steyr barrel is supposedly the best FAL barrel ever made and I got a new one, I still get this flier I can't account for that ruins an otherwise great group, it's good for 1.5-2 moa --until that 4moa flier fucks it all up. I think it may be something to do with the handguard but I can't be certain. It could be me and the shitty relationship I have with my optic.

Despite them working better with a low mounted optic, Canada issued 'em with Elcan 3.4x optics and you can find 'em for pretty good deals here and there. I got one for $400 ten or twelve years ago. Tritium is dead, I have a lamp for it but don't know how to install it properly with the gas and all. Without it, it works fine but maybe one day I'll find someone that can help install the tritium or convert it to battery. It's also obvious in the picture that I need something to build up a cheek weld. I think they make some kind of plastic device for this that fits these stocks but I don't know what it's called, who makes it or where to find it. DSA didn't have one last I checked.

I forget what it is but there was a scope made for these that was really low. Then there was the Trilux sight, or SUIT. You can still find these with battery upgrades to 'em for fairly cheap. Or you could. I still think a low mounted optic to be ideal though, lower than what I have.

Another good, inexpensive option IMO is the 1-4x Vortex PST something something. Mount it in the lowest rings you can get away with, it'll be about the same cost as the Elcan I have. OR you can go with a nicer optic. An ACOG --DSA makes a scope mount top rail cover with a cutout in the rear so an ACOG can mount direct to the rail, keeping it even lower, but I think a 1-4x (or straight tube scope) mounted as low as possible would be ideal. I have a USO 1-8x that works like a tree reticle at higher mag and a dot reticle at very low mag and it's straight and would be an ideal optic (and can be found in PX here for a good deal, where I found mine).

This rifle has a Steyr barrel which they say is the best barrel ever made for the FAL, and a newer Jard trigger (BIG thumbs up to Jard for their outstanding CS). Cerakote is Patriot Brown and FDE on the plastic and black small parts in case anyone is wondering, and SDN6 can. The folder really adds even more recoil to a hard kicking rifle and takes away any cheek weld you may have had.

Still a sexy bitch some 70 years on...
IMG_0931.JPG

This is on my .22 and it's in fairly low rings but it could go lower for the FAL... It's the Vortex 1-4x I was talking about and it'd make a good solid scope for just about any application really, including the FAL. This one is MOA but I think they make 'em in mil too.
IMG_0837.JPG

For a dot, just get whatever quality one that floats your boat that you can mount low. Maybe a Trijicon, maybe a Mepro. Or an Aimpoint, preferably the larger model. Whatever, mount. it. low.

If you're interested in an adj. Magpul PRS stock and/or complete FAL lower, PM me, we can work out a trade or sale.

I’ve used EOTech EXPS3 and Aimpoints with their respective magnifiers. Not bad. But for a FAL I think you’ll be short dicking the effectiveness of the cartridge with a RDS. Atleast with the Elcan you have a more useable reticle

Well, you probably already know you need something low. Very low. FAL was designed to keep the head down in combat (according to the manual) and that's why the sights and everything are so damn low on that rifle. I tried to make one into an SDM rifle some years back and gave up. Though the Steyr barrel is supposedly the best FAL barrel ever made and I got a new one, I still get this flier I can't account for that ruins an otherwise great group, it's good for 1.5-2 moa --until that 4moa flier fucks it all up. I think it may be something to do with the handguard but I can't be certain. It could be me and the shitty relationship I have with my optic.

Despite them working better with a low mounted optic, Canada issued 'em with Elcan 3.4x optics and you can find 'em for pretty good deals here and there. I got one for $400 ten or twelve years ago. Tritium is dead, I have a lamp for it but don't know how to install it properly with the gas and all. Without it, it works fine but maybe one day I'll find someone that can help install the tritium or convert it to battery. It's also obvious in the picture that I need something to build up a cheek weld. I think they make some kind of plastic device for this that fits these stocks but I don't know what it's called, who makes it or where to find it. DSA didn't have one last I checked.

I forget what it is but there was a scope made for these that was really low. Then there was the Trilux sight, or SUIT. You can still find these with battery upgrades to 'em for fairly cheap. Or you could. I still think a low mounted optic to be ideal though, lower than what I have.

Another good, inexpensive option IMO is the 1-4x Vortex PST something something. Mount it in the lowest rings you can get away with, it'll be about the same cost as the Elcan I have. OR you can go with a nicer optic. An ACOG --DSA makes a scope mount top rail cover with a cutout in the rear so an ACOG can mount direct to the rail, keeping it even lower, but I think a 1-4x (or straight tube scope) mounted as low as possible would be ideal. I have a USO 1-8x that works like a tree reticle at higher mag and a dot reticle at very low mag and it's straight and would be an ideal optic (and can be found in PX here for a good deal, where I found mine).

This rifle has a Steyr barrel which they say is the best barrel ever made for the FAL, and a newer Jard trigger (BIG thumbs up to Jard for their outstanding CS). Cerakote is Patriot Brown and FDE on the plastic and black small parts in case anyone is wondering, and SDN6 can. The folder really adds even more recoil to a hard kicking rifle and takes away any cheek weld you may have had.

Still a sexy bitch some 70 years on...
View attachment 7318363

This is on my .22 and it's in fairly low rings but it could go lower for the FAL... It's the Vortex 1-4x I was talking about and it'd make a good solid scope for just about any application really, including the FAL. This one is MOA but I think they make 'em in mil too.
View attachment 7318374

For a dot, just get whatever quality one that floats your boat that you can mount low. Maybe a Trijicon, maybe a Mepro. Or an Aimpoint, preferably the larger model. Whatever, mount. it. low.

If you're interested in an adj. Magpul PRS stock and/or complete FAL lower, PM me, we can work out a trade or sale.
Notice there are AR sites on my FAL as well as an adjustable cheek weld ACR stock. Perfect for 1.4-1.5” risers. I tried to “update” the gun as best I could. Bring it into the 21st century you might say. Even got a good sling setup :)

What was it that you didn't like about the LPVO you tried ? Brightness of reticle ? zoom ring ? clarity ?
i switched from an Aimpoint in a low Arms to a 1-6 FFP, it's made the gun more fun and more usable.
I get more of a chin than a cheek wield, but it works fine and is still comfortable.

EmptyName 10.jpg

Flash hider is being removed

I should have waited, bought a pistol and Form 1’d it instead of going factory SBR. I’m overseas most of the year, but I’d rather not be waiting on my stamp for 10-12 months.

Reactions: WHO
I should have waited, bought a pistol and Form 1’d it instead of going factory SBR. I’m overseas most of the year, but I’d rather not be waiting on my stamp for 10-12 months.
Yeah... the wait sucks
I've actually had it SBR’d for a while, just haven’t sent it back to the factory to have the silver solder removed.

What was it that you didn't like about the LPVO you tried ? Brightness of reticle ? zoom ring ? clarity ?
i switched from an Aimpoint in a low Arms to a 1-6 FFP, it's made the gun more fun and more usable.
I get more of a chin than a cheek wield, but it works fine and is still comfortable.

View attachment 7318429
Have a Primary Arms 1-6 in and ADM. Not a fan of the glass or the ACSS reticle
Im a FFP, non BDC guy. I also believe that the perfect LPVO is one that functions like an T1 (super bright dot) with 8X-10x mag. As much as it’s over kill I wonder if the new Vortex Gen3 might be cool??

Hey OP, sorry to dig up an old post. It's difficult for me to tell from the pics but do you have a picatinny front gas block installed with flip up buis? That's what I'm trying to do but can't find the picatinny gas block if you know when I can get one. Any help is appreciated🤘