• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which pistol vault?

packratt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2005
VA
My niece and her family just returned to the US after being stationed in England for the last 11 years. She grew up around firearms, I don't know about her husband but even thought he is AF he knows which end of the cartridge goes forward. The children on the other hand have little experience. The girls got to shoot the 2 times they came back to the US on leave but the boy was too young the last time they came home.

She wants to get a carry pistol to use when she is running and to have in the house.

Which would you recommend? Other makes and models welcome.

Check out the Vline box. It used a mechanical Simplex lock. Quick to use, but no batteries. Avoid the electronic locks.

Reactions: doc88
I have had the stack on with the electronic buttons you push. It sucked you had to push the buttons hard and it was LOUD pushing the buttons and the opening mechanism.

Bought the Liberty safe biometric. It sucks too. It was supposed to be fast and quiet, once it's actually read a print it's somewhat quick and quiet. Getting it to read a print does not work worth a crap.

I'm using the Stopbox now. Not the most secure. But simple.

In for ideas, too. I've got that mini vault standard from gun vault. Fuckin thing eats batteries 8 at a time and seems like I can never get it to open when I want to, so probably wouldn't work when I NEED to.

I've got the AmSec HAS410 mounted underneath my desk and the safe is an absolute unit. Uses a 5 digit simplex lock like the VLINE safes but has a 7GA door and 10GA body. If someone wanted whatever is in it, they'd have to take the desk with em.

If you're just trying to keep the kids from getting into it accidentally, you don't need much. Just something that locks.

We bought THIS SAFE for my brother-in-law, and it seemed to work great. A little pricey for just keeping it from the kids. My wife and I bought a couple off amazon for $60-75, and they seem to work fine so far. Came with tie-down cables, etc. Definitely not biometrics. The 4-5 digit code works so far.

If you're just trying to keep the kids from getting into it accidentally, you don't need much. Just something that locks.

We bought THIS SAFE for my brother-in-law, and it seemed to work great. A little pricey for just keeping it from the kids. My wife and I bought a couple off amazon for $60-75, and they seem to work fine so far. Came with tie-down cables, etc. Definitely not biometrics. The 4-5 digit code works so far.
Unless they watch lockpicking lawyer.

Go to YouTube and search "lock picking lawyer gun safe". Lots of them are inexcusable.

I'm leaning toward recommending the amsec or vline to them. I've got a bunch of Simplex locks in use at my offices as JD dont have many problems with them.

Last thing you want is to push the buttons and it not open when you need it

I have a couple Fort Knox boxes (personal pistol, and cab security) and am super pleased with the simplex lock and the heavy construction.
HERE

Rasyad

I've had the SV5000 for 6+ years and its only used to keep my EDC pistol locked away from kiddos. I got the 4 button kind (not the biometric version) and I've only had to replace the batteries on it once. The upright orientation works best for my particular application. There are many different ways to mount it around the house. There are a lot of great options listed in this thread so I don't think you're going to go wrong.

Never buy a biometric for defense guns. The won't work if your fingers are dirty, oily, greasy, bloody, cut etc.

Vline. Mechanical, no batteries to worry about going bad, Set up a simple code to remember. I did a lot of research several years back and Vline came to the top each time. Have not regretted the purchase. Fits in a drawer in the bandstand beside me.

I got a Vaultek safe as a present from my wife a few years back. More features than I know how to setup. Even has an audible alarm when someone’s messing with your safe and sends info via Bluetooth to your phone. Options are good.

+1 Vaultek. Smartphone app monitors usage snd battery level. Can access safe via biometric, app, or combo. Excellent quality but not cheap.

Ignore anything that requires batteries or biometrics. It’s not any faster than a 3-digit simplex code, and has the very real potential to fail.

Another vote for VLine here. I bought the QuickVault XL. I installed mine hidden behind a hinged mirror. It’s perfect for discrete storage and provides reasonable security. You can’t expect it to defeat a sophisticated burglar with pry-tools or power-tools who knows he has time to defeat the door, but it’ll keep the kids and the average crackhead burglar out of it and being between the studs is very easy to hide.

Thick steel construction, Simplex push-button lock that’s crazy easy to set/reset, and mine is big enough to hold an 11.5” BCM. I also bought a few gun magnets to hang my EDC gun in the top corner when I’m sleeping. If the QuickVault models are too big/too much work to install for her, their small drawer mounted handgun vaults are supposed to be the same great quality. Their products are definitely a little expensive, but all USA made.

I grew up with guns all over the house. I knew I shouldn't mess with them before I could pick one up.

WTF is wrong with you. My dad let me grab a gun and go shoot by myself by first grade.

Electronic locks, humanity is fucked.

We have a MiniVault GV1000S and like it. Has the electronic code lock, and a key as a backup. We’re able to keep two pistols in there.