• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Which power of binoculars?

Little Bill

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2008
I am a LEO that covers city and rural areas and need some new binos. I am having a hard time deciding between 8, 10, and 12. I am mostly looking at the blem Vortex Vultures from Camera Land NY. With the variety of distances and terrain, I like the 8 for the ability to scan without fatigue, but the 12 for the stuff at distance. Ideas?

Re: Which power of binoculars?

No LEO here, just a deer hunter and target shooter, but I'd say split the difference and go with a 10x.

if you like the different parts of both...why not go with an 8x-12x adjustable pair?

For daytime use, I like 10x50; at night I prefer 7x50.

I have 6 pairs of binos, mainly for astronomy instruction with the Scouts. Swift 7x35(I think?), an older couple of Jason 7x50's and 3 cheap Tasco 10x50's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Little Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a LEO that covers city and rural areas and need some new binos. I am having a hard time deciding between 8, 10, and 12. I am mostly looking at the blem Vortex Vultures from Camera Land NY. With the variety of distances and terrain, I like the 8 for the ability to scan without fatigue, but the 12 for the stuff at distance. Ideas? </div></div>

12x is way too powerful. It will have a reduced FOV If you need to view facial features at range try a spotting scope.

Thanks fellas. I am leaning more towards 8x. If I need more magnification, I will use the rifle. I would use the binos for extended scanning periods, so I am thinking that the 8x may be easier on the eyes. Also, alot of our ops are in the dark or dusk/dawn, so the lower magnification may be better.

I began looking through the "birding" forums, and those dudes know their binoculars. I am now looking at the Zen-Ray ZRS 8x42 for about $170. The "birding" fellas say that they are equal to Vortex Vipers at 30% of the cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Little Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I need more magnification, I will use the rifle. </div></div>

Tell me you didn't just say that. You plan to point a rifle at someone/something so you can look at it through the scope? I have a pair of zoom binos you can have if you'll promise not to point guns at things you don't plan to shoot.

1911fan

LB,

Based on what you have said, and on previous posts:

1) You are an officer....probably in Missouri (being the central location between NE, OK, and MO in a previous inquiry).

2) You are probably on a budget....since you are LEO, and if you need binos, you are out patrolling and probably aren't command staff and making command staff money. Also, in other posts made comments on affordable training.

3) If these Binos are going to be for LEO purposes, they will most likely be thrown in bag and find their way in and out of the squad car trunk daily.

You don't need ultra high-end. And as long as you aren't careless with your gear, the ultra-bomb proof $1k+ binos aren't really necessary either.

Adjustable power with quality binos is available for reasonable price.

I got some Minolta binos on my 15th birthday. I still use them to this day on duty, and the do just fine.

1911fan

I think you jumped to a conclusion or three... (That I would point the rifle at a person, that the rifle is loaded, that "cover safe" not utilized, etc.)

Thanks for everyone's input. There are times that I will be glassing "an area" for extended periods, so I wanted the best-cheap binos. After reading here about the Vortex binos and the Zen-Ray binos on some other sites, I am going to get some Zen-Ray ZRS 8x42 binos @ $170. Nice bang for the buck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Little Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1911fan
I think you jumped to a conclusion or three... (That I would point the rifle at a person, that the rifle is loaded, that "cover safe" not utilized, etc.)</div></div>

Yeah, I did, and yeah, sooner or later you're going to do it. Free bino offer still stands.

Not meant as a slam, though- if your only more powerful optic is mounted on a rifle, at some point you're going to need that optic, and the fact that it's weapon-mounted will be less important than the need for basic gun safety.

1911fan

I bit the bullet years ago and bought some Swarovski's 10X50... Yes the cost hurt....But ohhh my.. If you end up not being satisfied with the less expensive binos... Save up and get better glass.. The better the glass the greater the light gathering. I can just about use the Swaro's at dark. When all other optics fail during very low light the Swaros are still able to see quite clearly. I know your situation may point you in a different direction and I hope what you get will serve you well... Just adding my thoughts and experiences..SmokeRolls

Yeah, I was originally wanting more power. At my last call out I took out some 12x and 15x binos to use to watch an area about 900~ yards from a observation post and I had a couple issues. (I was out there for several shifts that lasted 4-6 hours. Did I mention it was seriously cold?) Even tripod mounted, the 15x binos (Canons) were a little shaky and gave me a headache quickly. The 12x binos (Minoltas) were not tripod mounted, and they were impossible to hand hold and still see decent details at that distance. The 12x also had crappy glass so as soon as the bright light faded, the view was really dim.

I like 8's. The brain can already teach your eyes to see through things so setting alarms to trigger at movements that should not be there is no problem.

I find that 6x minumum and 8x max works for me. Above 8x I can't hold them steady enough with my hands to use them and a tripod plus binoculars is to bulky and difficult to use in normal circumstances, and below 6x they don't have enough magnification for more then a few hundred yards.

Bill, the size of the objective can help relieve some of the eye strain, our ops group uses 8x42's and 10x50's. Depending on application. I'm only familiar with Swaro and Leica in those two sizes so can't comment on the brand you mentioned.

Also a LEO... I always disliked any bino above 8X for reasons others here have touched on. But.... a few weeks ago I purchased one of the new Vortex Viper 10x50 with the ranging reticle. I have to say that as far as binos go these are the best I've owned and the quality of the image, the increase in light transmission and overall quality are very noticible compared to those that I'd previously used.

They ain't cheap but they ARE very nice. The lifetime "no matter what" type warranty is very nice as well...

The Swarovski's 10x50 EL series is worth the extra money. In lowlight conditions these work. I have a pair of Leicas 8x32, Nikons, Leppys, and none of them compare. Was a good investment on glass. I have used them and have taken advantage of the lowlight conditions.

Bill, I was a cop a while ago and found 8 to not be enough so i bought 10 and i was pretty happy. still not enough to really see whats going on.

Professional trackers, S. African game guides, hunters of gunmen, night vision shooters, people that have spent more than a week of their life on glass, they will say 8.

To focus in on specific targets at long range, a larger number.

To look. To watch. 8x

To argue a brand is tiresome and I try to avoid it...

Bill,

If you wear glasses make sure to get a pair that you can utilize without removing your eye wear. Something with 18mm or more of eye relief will work well.

User USSR here used to sell Russian MilSurp binos, may still do. Very good quality and durability, reasonable pricing. I've seen 'em, used 'em, and can definitely recommend them.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tsprink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill, I was a cop a while ago and found 8 to not be enough so i bought 10 and i was pretty happy. still not enough to really see whats going on. </div></div>

Well if you're looking for border jumpers then 10x may be necessary
blush.gif

8x combines great field of view with steadiness. 10x is great too, but can sometimes bring the object 'too close' (if you're scanning a mountain side for animals, etc, and are looking for movement).

Either way I'd be happy with both, but currently have 8x.

Hopefully:

1. you will get binos that take a tripod. much more stable for extended viewing;

2. you will learn how to scan in rays.

I use a set of Nikon 10x42. they are very good at gathering light and have a decent fov. I paid a little over $300 for the camo model.

-Z

I asked this same question a couple months ago. I ended up going with 10x and my buddy got the 8.5 in the same bino. I have no trouble with the 10x at all, could hardly tell the difference in the two. I would go 10x myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Little Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1911fan
I think you jumped to a conclusion or three... (That I would point the rifle at a person, that the rifle is loaded, that "cover safe" not utilized, etc.)</div></div>

Yeah, I did, and yeah, sooner or later you're going to do it. Free bino offer still stands.

Not meant as a slam, though- if your only more powerful optic is mounted on a rifle, at some point you're going to need that optic, and the fact that it's weapon-mounted will be less important than the need for basic gun safety.

1911fan </div></div>

Good call. You know what they say: Never point your gun at anything you do not wish to kill or destroy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Professional trackers, S. African game guides, hunters of gunmen, night vision shooters, people that have spent more than a week of their life on glass, they will say 8...... </div></div>

agree, for all-round use. I use 7x50 for low light, 10x40 for longer range daylight use, I'm partial to Zeiss myself, served me well thru the years.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">User USSR here used to sell Russian MilSurp binos, may still do. Very good quality and durability, reasonable pricing. I've seen 'em, used 'em, and can definitely recommend them.

Greg</div></div>

+1 I've got both the 8X and 12X and can't say which I like best. They are both outstanding. And USSR is good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peanutlover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">User USSR here used to sell Russian MilSurp binos, may still do. Very good quality and durability, reasonable pricing. I've seen 'em, used 'em, and can definitely recommend them.

Greg</div></div>

+1 I've got both the 8X and 12X and can't say which I like best. They are both outstanding. And USSR is good to go. </div></div>

I have a set of 12X from USSR, too,, and I like them.

As others have mentioned 12X is a bit hard for an old geezer to steady,, but when leaned up against a tree,, they work great.

I just picked up some Vortex Vipers 8x32 on closeout from Cameraland. I absolutely love them! I'm sure that the high dollar binos will out perform them in the eyes of the "experts", but I can't imagine myself wanting more.

These Vipers at closeout are the best bang for the buck. My 8x32 are both steady and light with a wonderful FOV!