• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which precision AR upper?

sjbryan308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
Oxford, NC
Looking to purchase an upper more suited to long range shooting and am looking for first hand knowledge of the following two uppers:

1) Larue stealth 20" upper

or

2) Noveske 20" medium varmint upper

Which would you choose and why. Any thoughts and or experience shared would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Which precision AR upper?

I own a Larue 20" Stealth upper.

It shoots great. With hand loads you can get very smalls groups.

I own the 20" Noveske medium contour upper. I love it and its my DMR match gun. Shoots one hole groups at 200. Its heavy, given the mono receiver and the medium contour barrel, but if you need to hit something in a match restricted to 556NATO gassers, it is the setup to have. I shot the 70gr Berger VLD at 2925fps and have had first round hits past 800yds with it.

I own both systems although mine are 18" units. My Noveske is set up with John's 18" stainless steel 1/7 5.56 barrel and the Larue is a 18" 1/8 223 Wylde unit. Shooting them both side by side using the same ammo in each one( Federal Gold Match 72gr. ,Hornady 77gr. Match and Corbon 69gr Match) the Noveske is the hands down winner. Then when I introduce my AWC Raider into the test the Noveske with his Switchblock gas system it really puts the Noveske into a class by itself with repeatable POA/POI first round impact and overall accuracy.I am not knocking Larue's systems just in my experience owning and using both John's stainless steel barreled platforms are TOP Shelf. I also have one of Noveske's 12.5" stainless steel w/switchblock systems that will shoot hole for hole out to 350-400 with either 18"units. I am not putting down the other manufactures barrels or platforms (Douglas, White Oak, ) I just haven't got around to trying or having the pleasure of running them as of YET!

Sounds good, thanks for your insight. So far its sounding like the noveske might be the way to go. Im thinking I would get the 20" medium varmint with the new NSR rail.

All I know is I shoot Specialized Dynamics uppers for more than just the fact that they shoot great. Scott's been a huge supporter of the precision rifle community for years and builds nothing but quality shooting AR's. He stands behind his work personally.
I've personally seen George Gardner (GA Precision, who can build anything he likes) pass up scopes and other stuff on a prize table to pick up one of Scott's uppers. 'Nuff said.

I have several Specialized Dynamics uppers, and they are the real deal! To be exact I have four uppers from Scott, a 5.56, .204 Ruger Varmint, 6.5 LBC, and 6.8 SPC. They all are sub MOA rifles, and repeatable .5" groups are pretty common. I would highly recommend him for any future builds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sjbryan308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where would be a good place to purchase the 20" noveske upper?</div></div>

I like my Noveske, the fit and finish is the best I have seen. Not to mention it shoots great.

Check with Brian, he is a site sponsor and has great prices. His screen name here is jakhamr81 and his website is www.wernerarms.com

Thanks for the info on werner arms already spoken with them and everything sounds good. Any other thoughts on the noveske upper I think I am going to go with the Nsr rail.

Noveske with the new 16 inch NSR! Just kidding, that's more for 3gun, but I would do Noveske as a stand-alone upper for sure. Excellent barrels, and I like the handguard choices. Compare it to a Larue PredatAR and it gets to be a harder choice, but you can't just buy the PredatAR upper.

White Oak or Compass Lake if accuracy is the concern. Thousands and thousands of top high power shooters can't be wrong. If you want something more tacti-cool, but supremely accurate, order a Krieger barrel/bolt combo from Compass Lake with a Wylde chamber and then accessorize as desired. Krieger will also provide you a chambered barrel/ bolt combo directly and that would be very good as well. There are many top barrel makers that get use in competitive target shooting, but Noveske is a name I never hear.