• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which primers? powder?

cheddar

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
Madison, WI.
Hey guys. I have been looking but not much info on .223. I will be starting reloading but would like to start looking for primers and powder. I know nothing about either so it makes it tough to read without some help.

What primers fit and work well with a .223 bolt gun? I know some of it may be personal preference and dependant on loads, but there has to one to STAY AWAY from. Same questions goes for powder. I've seen people refer to varget and a bunch of crazy stuff like h54138 or something. What the heck is that? Help me out here guys! Thanks!

Re: Which primers? powder?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheddar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and a bunch of crazy stuff like h54138 or something. What the heck is that? Help me out here guys!</div></div>

Do you have a reloading manual?

The "H" powders are Hodgdon, as in H4195 or H4831SC.

Look into Ramshot Tac, it's a ball powder so it measures easy and works pretty well in a lot of 223 loads. Most any small rifle primer will work.

LG...ZERO!

I'm trying to get my stuff together. Found CCI primers in town today. I'm a little way from doing this but Gander doesn't get this stuff very often.

jasonk-I also started a thread titled "Which manual?". I need one to go with. Cabela's shows the Nosler for $19.95 where as Gander has the same book for $39.99

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheddar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LG...ZERO!

I'm trying to get my stuff together. Found CCI primers in town today. I'm a little way from doing this but Gander doesn't get this stuff very often. </div></div>
Do you plan to load for more than one or two weapons?
LG

I would say the best "single book" or beginners book would be the Lee manual. It has the most loads and the best "how to" with the least "PFM" in it.

If you want a recipe that's likely to work on the first shot, try 26gr of Ramshot TAC behind a Hornady 50gr V-max loaded to max book OAL with any standard primer in any case EXCEPT Military cases. If you're using Military cases, drop back to 24gr.

As always, work up from a couple of grains below and watch for pressure signs: flat or extruded primers, sticky extraction or hard bolt lift, or anything else out of the ordinary.

I'd buy the nosler manual for $19.00 if you are that anxious to spend your money. They make only bullets as far as I know, and cover different presses and the various steps in reloading pistol, rifle cases and shotshells.

Read up before you buy something you can't return or is less than what you may find you'd prefer.

I save all my left over fireworks and use that powder. Black Cat works the best. Very accurate.

are you a troll?

Don't even touch a press until you've read a manual or two. Actually, I suggest not buying any equipement until said reading is completed.

LG- I plan to reload for my .40S&W and whatever else comes my way down the road. I plan on picking up the Nosler and the Lymn(49th) this weekend at Cabela's. That should be a good start. Thanks guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheddar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys.
[snip]
What primers fit and work well with a .223 bolt gun? [snip]</div></div>
Surely you already know that they will be small rifle size???

But anyway, what primers????

BWAHAHABWAHAHABWAHAHABWAHAHABWAHAHA!!!!!

Whatever primers you can get, bud. Small rifle is all I have left, and I've been waiting for large rifle and small pistol since April.