• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Rail System for my LR-308

Howie Feltersnatch

Deep in my Plums.
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2007
Largo, FL.
I'm looking for some input on a rail system for my LR-308 that's on the way. I am definitely in search for the monolithic upper so what are some good brands and why? I'm not any different than anyone else in wanting something that is light, strong, and will provide a continuous rail. What have been your guy's experience and why? I have learned that I have to make sure I have the right barrel nut since there are primarily 3 different ones. Here are the one's I've thought about:

Daniel Defense- I really like these rails, but can't find them anywhere. Do you guys have any cons about this system? Where the hell can I find them in stock?

SWS E1- I really like these because they look light, but not familiar with these.

Can't remember other brands? Do you guys have a suggestion. If you could please put why you like it and things you don't like about them. I appreciate all the help. Thanks.

EDIT: Wanted to pass along this deal for the LR 308 receiver blocks from JSE. Brownells and other places want these for $55 and up, they have them in stock for $35. Placed an order with them today and it's already shipped.

LR-308 Receiver Block from JSE

Erik

Re: Which Rail System for my LR-308

+1 for the SWS E1. Its light weight and very well machined. THe E1 comes with two barrel nuts and a wrench so you are GTG. It appears Art has them in stock to. Just be sure to measure your dpms upper since they changed the specs on them. I believe the newer ones are slightly shorter

The KAC SR25 URX and RAS are both solid choices, as is the Daniel Defense. I would avoid the JP VTac - I think the VTac is a bad design due to the six little allen heads that attach the handguard to the nut assembly.

Rainier Arms should have the DD rail in stock. I've used and installed all four of the above. My preference is for the URX, but I have all the tools to install, which will run upwards of $500 in addition the cost of the rail.

For price and performance the DD is hard to beat.

Some LR308 uppers have a rail that's non-standard in height, like a 1/16" or so higher than normal? Depending on what upper you get you may not be able to use just any handguard on it if you want it to be level with your upper's rail. You may have to get a DPMS made one instead.

My DPMS upper has a DPMS quad rail handguard and it works fine although it's a little on the heavy side and not as nice looking as DDefense one.

edit:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=295049

The "high" handguard from DPMS. Depending on your upper you may have to purchase this one. I'm not sure if other handguard makers produce a "high" one either.

Thanks for the input guys. I should have mentioned that I do have the A3 upper and not the 'extra high' upper they have.

What about Troy's TRX Extreme? That looks pretty nice. Anyone used this on there AR10/LR308?

Check out the Larue rails for 7.62 Ar type rifles

I have the DD 7.62 12 inch on my LAR308 with 16 inch barrel. I replaced the gas block with YM low profile so the new rail would cover the block. After getting everything assembled, I wouldnt do it any other way. Its exactly what I wanted. There are pics of it it in this thread on another post I did.
The LR308 being different than all the other AR10 rifles makes the rail a hard item to find for the specific rifle. I found my rail and nut at Cheaper than Dirt. As you mentioned, nobody has them in stock.They didnt have the wrench for the new nut so I got it from Daniel Defense for $15. The price of the DD rail is considerably more but the quality and fit are nice. You wont regret the DD purchase. See pics of mine in my previous post LAR 308.

Ebam- There is a gap in between the receiver and the rail system, which isn't what I'm looking for.

Stacy- I love that rifle. I really like the color scheme you went with. I like the rail set up. So you like the longer rail vs a 9 or 11" model? I was thinking about the 13" but how much rail can a guy need? All that's going to go on there (for me) is a bipod and some NV when I save up for it. It seems everywhere I go there are bolt nuts for RRA and Armalite, but none for DPMS
frown.gif

I've been looking at Troy rails. The TRX standard and MRF are also nice choices. I originally overlooked them but didn't realize there is not a gap between the two.

I went thru so much BS with the Rock River to get a rail. The reason for the new nut on the RR was because the thread pitch is suppose to be different than typical. The new nut is a lot smaller outer diameter than the factory nut. The only place i could find that made a RR specific nut for the 7.62 was Daniel Defense so I bought it. I didnt "need" a long rail like I bought but I wanted it to hide the gas block and tube so I went with the 12 inch. Couldnt be happier with it. It will have night vision and IR illuminator on it soon to join the bipod. Might put chrome wheels and fuzzy dice on it too. The color is green/grey duracoat that i painted. Thanks for the compliments.

Yea I'm finding it's going to be difficult to find a DD rail if I decide to go with them. From what I've read there are 3 main barrel nuts, and all the DD's (insert perverted comment here) that I find they don't have the damn DPMS barrel nut. After reading your post I do like the idea of hiding the gas block.

I discovered the ARMS SIR rail. That looks heavy and bulky. Anyone have experience with them?

I would go with the DD 762 Lite 12.0 or the Knights URX. They can be a pain to find but both rails are well worth the money and the wait.

I don't think LaRue will work unless they came up with something new. I contacted them several months ago and they told me their rail won't fit without gunsmithing. I didn't go any further after that.

Contact Dustin Lotz with Hi Tech Tactical. I ordered my DD Lite from him. Great guy to deal with.

His member name is: HiTechTactical

Troy will work, YHM(same as DPMS) will work. I believe that DD is the lightest one out of the bunch.

His website is hitechtactical.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AresSBR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with the DD 762 Lite 12.0 or the Knights URX. They can be a pain to find but both rails are well worth the money and the wait.

</div></div>

Rainier Arms has the DD Lite Rail: HERE

I've had the DD 12" lite rail on two Armalites, one DPMS and loved it. The DD is an option at RR so I if you have any intallation problems RR or DD will know how to help. The DD requires a special $20 installation wrench.

+ 1 for Daniel Defense. I believe you can purchase direct from the Daniel Defense. Check their website

Does anyone know where to get an Armalite wrench from? The only place I found was brownells but they want $56 for a wrench. Any place cheaper?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ErikTaylor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the input guys. I should have mentioned that I do have the A3 upper and not the 'extra high' upper they have. </div></div>

its not the "extra high" model so much as its the standard A3 that DPMS changed the rail height so that they dont line up with any aftermarket rails except the ones DPMS makes. i have a badger free float and i managed to snag an older LR308 upper that lined up. but beware the difference

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ErikTaylor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know where to get an Armalite wrench from? The only place I found was brownells but they want $56 for a wrench. Any place cheaper? </div></div>

I put a DD 12" lite rail on an Amralite AR10 and I don't remember needing a special wrench to remove the Armalite barrel nut. I have DPMS and Smith Enterprises armor's wrenches. You will need a DD wrench to install the DD barrel nut for sure.