• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which rail?

freebird63

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Boise, Idaho USA
I am thinking about switching out my scope mounting system, right now its the dual dovetail system. I am looking at either the 20moa or 40moa rail. What are the benifits of each one and what would be the downfall of each??
Thanks for any input
Chuck

Re: Which rail?

What scope do you have, this will make all the difference some scopes don't have enough adjustment if you go with 40 MOA offset when you shoot at closer yardages. I am accustomed to Nightforce and they don't have enough adjustment if you would ever like to shoot at 100 yards if not than go for it.

What distance are you wanting to shoot and depending on your scope and turrets 20MOA is fine for most if you are willing to hold over than just adjust.

I am using a sightron S3 6-24x50mm with 30mm tube. Targets out to a mile would be nice to be able to acomplish, but for hunting maybe the farthest I would shoot at an elk would be 800 yards. I am new to this long range shooting stuff. Another question, I see that the nightforce rail has a recoil lug built in, what is the benifit of that over say a EGW or badger ordenance rail??? also would like to get the nightforce TI rings, the rings I am using now are large rings, I would guess with the rail I should be able to get away with using medium rings???

We need to know what bullet and velocity you'll be shooting to figure out how many minutes you need out to 1760.

Hey we can always dream big, don't know if I could find a place to shoot a mile, but 1200 yards no problem. The bullet I am using is a 210gr berger and its moving 3000-3100fps. I was looking over a spot for a 1000 yard shot the other day, wow thats a long ways.

i have a 25moa rings on my 50 bmg standard chamber and a 30 moa rail on my 50 bmg match gun
i have no problems getting from 100 yards to 1,000 yards with either my leupold 8-25 varix3 or my leupold/premier heritage mark4 in fixed 20

I'm not certain of the rail you need (ie: 20, 30, 40 moa) but can say that I shoot 100-1000 with EGW rails, NF and TPS rings and have had very good luck...For the money, the EGW is great I would try them.