• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which Rangefinder?

USGILT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2007
KS, Leavenworth
I am looking at purchasing a laser rangefinder within the next week. I think I've got it narrowed down to two. I am looking for some imput from some of you guys who have had experience with these two rangefinders so that I can narrow down my choices.

Zeiss8x26.jpg

Zeiss Victory PRF 8X26 T - 1300yard rangfinder $599
Magnification: 8X
OBJ Len Dia: 26mm
Measuring Distance: 10-1300 yards
FOV @ 1000: 330ft
Weight w/battery: 10.9 oz
Waterproof & Fogproof

OR

Leica1200.jpg

Leica CRF 1200 Range Finder - $599
Magnification: 7X
OBJ Len Dia: 24mm
Measuring Distance: 10-1200 yards
FOV @ 1000: 347ft
Weight w/battery: 7.8 oz
Waterproof & Fogproof

Thank you,

Re: Which Rangefinder?

I have the Swarovski. I like it quit well. May buy the Lecia for bow hunting. I would say both well be fine.

I have owned most all of the low end lasers: Leup ,Nikon, Bush arc 1500 etc. My Leica 1200 has been the only hassle free, get a reading every time laser I have owned. My understanding is it's only second to the Swarovski.

FWIW.

I have a Lecia LRF. Phenomenal glass. I got the LRF not the CRF do to the LRF being flat for use off a ruck or pod.
I have never seen glass this good in a three digit price optic.

I would find it hard to believe that the Zeiss would be in any way inferior in optical quality or performance. The Zeiss is 'flat' if using on a rest is a consideration.

Both top quality Euro glass. Can't go wrong with either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1ZNUF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell Elite 1500. Cheaper than either the Swaro or Zeiss and will range as well or better than either of them. </div></div>

You are the first person I have heard say that. You must have got a different range finder from Bushnell than the ones my friends had. The bushnells have all been thrown away. My Swarovski is top of the line.

of your 2 choices the zeiss is a better lrf, iho. i have used bushnell elite [junk ] nikon , leupold ,leica ,leica geovid.
i bought a swaro .i think its the best . my shooting partner has the zeiss , i think it is just as good out to about 1200yds . was not imperssed with the leica i used ,have HEARD mixed reports about their customer service i like the glass in the zeiss also

my lil crf1200 reiew:

i just picked up the leica crf1200..wandered up to the end of my driveway and hit a house at 1203 yd. the thing is small and light, glass is nice.

took it to mifflin, and on a bad weather day w wind, and rain i could hit our 1030yd targets w an airport a few miles away reporting 2 miles vis in rain and fog. as the weather got worse so did the rangefinders performance..when we couldnt even make out the 1k targets any more i could still range a dead tree at 830yds. as the snow started flyin i could still get out to 700yds, but we couldnt spot trace, or get any certian hits past 500. at this point the snow was flyin and blowin in all directions, and id put the vis at 1/2 mile or so at best. w only 1 good test day on it, id say the crf 1200 can range farther than id want to shoot when the wx and visibilty get bad. btw $540 shipped from cameraland for a factory certified demo

edit: the only things i dont like is there are no lens covers, and no tripod mounting screw. the little case that comes w it is decent. comin up w a tripod mount it on the list of things to do

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=40523

crf1200 certified preowned from cameraland now even cheaper, mebbe they have some demo zeiss units, i forgot to check

hth

lear

Just cough up the $750 for a swaro demo model and buy it!!!! I have used the zeiss, bushnell, and leica and the quality of the swaro far surpasses the competition. (for the $$$ invested) The only gripe I have with the swaro, and its really not that big of a deal is that it takes a little bit longer to range then the rest...not alot, about 1 sec longer. I have ranged a plumbthicket @ 1979yds with my swaro, try that with a bushnell, leica, or a zeiss!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1ZNUF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell Elite 1500. Cheaper than either the Swaro or Zeiss and will range as well or better than either of them. </div></div>

What planet are you from,LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1ZNUF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell Elite 1500. Cheaper than either the Swaro or Zeiss and will range as well or better than either of them. </div></div>

What planet are you from,LOL </div></div>

Same planet as some of these members: Leica vs Bushnell

Just sayin.

I've had all three in my hands at the same time. The Zeiss and the Swaro do have the superior glass, truly spectacular but in all conditions, the Bushnell was as good or better at <span style="font-style: italic">ranging </span>. I've used these things since the first Tasco 200 came out. I've owned almost every brand out there. From the Bushnell, the only direction I would go is to Newcon. I think with the Swaros and the Zeiss, you're paying for the glass, not necessarily the rangefinding abilities, which is actually pretty fixed in this price range. An eyesafe laser with a pump diode that runs off a 9volt battery can only overcome so much ambient light noise, which is the real enemy of using a laser rangefinder during the day, in bright conditions, or non-reflective targets.

I guess in summary I'd say the Zeiss and Swaro do have better glass, and if that's important, great. I just haven't found their ranging abilities to be significantly, if at all superior at this price point.

I must of got a funky B1500 because mine would only range to 500Y on non reflective objects and that's on a good day.The Swaro I have works much better,although it struggles a little on bright days sometimes.

I've ranged my steel at 1096Y before with it and a rock face at 1320Y.The Bushy would have cried Mama if I attempted the same thing.

Steve

I have a Zeiss and I love it. I agonized over a choice between the Zeiss and Swaro (which I use at work).

IMHO the glass is great on either one. I like the display and reticle much better on the Zeiss. I've ranged to 1450 yards on a nice big reflective target easily with the Zeiss... and have checked it on known distances and found it to be very accurate. The Swaro may range a bit farther but over 1000 yards is nearly impossible to find up here anyway, we have trees.

I chose the Zeiss because Doug at Cameraland and Scott at Liberty Optics were both very high on them and they sell both brands. I'm not disappointed at all with my choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1ZNUF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell Elite 1500. Cheaper than either the Swaro or Zeiss and will range as well or better than either of them. </div></div>

What planet are you from,LOL </div></div>

+1 I have both the Leica 1200 and the Swarofsky, both are superior rangefinders but the swaro is by far a farther=better rangefinder, the few bushnells I have handled were embarrasing.
http://www.6mmbr.com/rangefinders.html

I have a Bushnell 1500 "Elite". I have ranged a IPSC target brown side out at approx 700 yards but the rangefinder must be ABSOLUTELY LOCKED DOWN.

Anybody ever try the Newcon LRM 2000?

I did a lot of research on this same subject a while ago and bought the Swarovski. I have not been dissapointed at all. I was able to range deer over 1000 yds consistently off a tripod this season, it also has a nice little hard plastic carrying case for your belt so it won't be lost.
Unless you want a binocular rangefinder combo like the Leica Geovids (which are a bit pricey, but very nice glass)I would get the Swarovski.

my personally owned LRF experiences:

bushnell yardage pro 600 or something.... ranged out to about 400 at best in the field. - sold

bushnell elite 1500 ARC... generally excellent out to around 750yds in the field, but has ranged a 1680yd stop sign. the LCD died and spilled green shit all over the lens inside so it's in a box for the time being. ARC helps alot as where I shoot is often very up/down.

Swarovski laser guide, GOOD TO GO. Expensive yes, but as you can see... I made two purchases that both got the boot. Buy it once, do it right the first time. Your LRF is the next most important thing to a rifle in my opinion... Without, you can only guess where to hold / dope.

If you have a $3000 rifle, with a $2000 scope BUILT SPECIFICALLY FOR LONG RANGE SHOOTING... Why kick yourself in the throat and buy a time-waster LRF?

2c

I own both products the Lecia and Swaros. Both are great procucts but the Swaros are better at longer ranges. That is a fact not fiction.

I have owned both the Leica and Swaro and both are excellent

like the battery better in the Leica 9 volt
and easy to replace
Has a very "tight" laser window and laser path

however out past (in normal conditions) 1000 yds
the Swaro is better ie

it has 8 and not 7 power optics and the eyepiece lets in more light and better field of view than the Leica

a few days ago in really good conditions for a rangefinder ( about 1 hr before dark I got a bounce at 1964 yds with the swaro

so if 1000 and under go with the leica and if you want farther readings then go with the Swaro