• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Which reamer to buy?

Chesapeake

N/A
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2018
Montana
I am having my ‘smith chamber a barrel for me in 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting. I plan on shooting Barnes 127 LRX in Lapua/Alpha/Peterson brass loaded to mag length or less for this particular barrel. I would like to be able to use the reamer to chamber match barrels as well (now currently shooting 147 eldm over Lapua brass).

He does not have a 6.5 Creedmoor reamer so I was planning on buying one. I know that I can have JGS or Manson make me a custom reamer off of a few loaded rounds but I wanted the collective advice. If I plan on using this to chamber barrels for match shooting as well as hunting loads should I just get the SAAMI spec reamer or would you recommend something else?

Thanks for the advice.

For a 6.5 Creedmoor, I would recommend going with a SAAMI chamber reamer which would allow you to run a variety of factory and handloaded ammo.

Reactions: padom
Saami throat is longer than needed, even with factory ammo. .297” neck and .150” throat is a good spot.

Go with the SAAMI spec reamer. That way almost all load data and seating depth info you find online will be applicable to your chamber. The SAAMI spec is very good for 6.5 Creedmoor for 140 grain or less bullets. The only time I have seen it be too long of freebore is with the 147+ projectiles.

Smith doesn't have a SAAMI spec 6.5 Creedmoor reamer? That's probably the most commonly cut chamber, nowadays..
I'm the last one to "eat" an oddball wildcat or specialty reamer for one job, but I'd think this is one he'd want to buy to have in inventory unless he doesn't do much chambering. To each their own, but this one is in the "you should have it" category.

Hopefully, you don't have to buy the bushings, too...

JMO...YMMV

For a 6.5 Creedmoor, I would recommend going with a SAAMI chamber reamer which would allow you to run a variety of factory and handloaded ammo.

^^^^ This

For a common caliber like the 6.5 Creedmoor in a hunting rifle, where off the shelf ammo is plentiful (which is a major factor for me when building a hunting rifle) I’d go SAAMI all the way.

Last edited:
The SAAMI chamber works just fine with the Barnes LRX and factory match loads. I load the LRX in mine and switched to shooting factory Hornady 140eld-m right now.

Smith doesn't have a SAAMI spec 6.5 Creedmoor reamer? That's probably the most commonly cut chamber, nowadays..
I'm the last one to "eat" an oddball wildcat or specialty reamer for one job, but I'd think this is one he'd want to buy to have in inventory unless he doesn't do much chambering. To each their own, but this one is in the "you should have it" category.

Hopefully, you don't have to buy the bushings, too...

JMO...YMMV

I agree that most gunsmiths would have one of these reamers. But it makes no difference. I charge less for a customer supplied reamer than one I supply. There is no free lunch. Every gunsmith that supplies the reamer for the customer has the cost built into his prices. It would be appropriate for the customer to share the cost of the new reamer if the gunsmith is going to buy it and keep it. If the gunsmith declines then the cost is on the customer. It costs a total of $50 to rent and return a reamer anyways. Many starting gunsmiths don't have the capital to buy a reamer in every common caliber.

If I was in the OP's situation I would rent the reamer or ask the gunsmith to rent it and add the cost to the invoice. If I planned to have 3 or more chambers cut with the reamer for myself, I would buy the reamer and keep it.

Exactly. Rent a SAAMI reamer.

JFR

SAAMI all the way. I've been running the same specs since 2010. It doesn't matter what you shoot out of it, it just plain shoots good all the away around.

Decide which cartridge you are intent on using;

Decide on AT LEAST two (2) bullets you are considering. The reason is, is that there are times where your preferred bullet simply does not shoot well. Then go to "Plan B". The second bullet needs to be "compatible" with the first one, so your freebore will work with both;

Decide if you are going to neck turn and just how much you want to turn off;

Call Dave Kiff (Pacific Tool and Gauge) and talk directly to him about the above choices. He will help you make a very good decision.

Buy a throater. Rent a non throated chamber reamer.

why not just buy one reamer with a throat that lets you shoot what ever bullet you want?
If you roll your own then sure, but what's the next best pill to come out as 'factory match'. Big CBTO difference between prime ammo and S&B for example. Uge. BHA will be coming out with something soon, maybe already did, others will follow. Maybe even use same components as Lapua/Berger, but there will be a difference. I've been diligently tracking this 6.5/260 factory stuff for a couple years, spreadsheet a mile long.

I reload for all of my 6.5 shooting but I could see how it would be beneficial to be able to shoot factory ammo. Although I don’t think any of the alternate specs shared thus far would preclude me from shooting factory ammo at </= mag length. I am newer to this stuff so if there is something I’m missing please let me know.

I am thankful for all of your opinions on the matter. If others have tweaked the 6.5 Creedmoor reamer design a little and have had any improvements please share your experience. It looks like most of you prefer the SAAMI specs.

First I think any gunsmith should have at least one 6.5 Creedmoor reamer. And if they don’t, what have they been building? For the last two years I have been building 2 Creedmoors to one of anything else. I have a SAAMI one and have had no problem between factory and hand loads. You will be fine with SAAMI but I would think he would see a need to purchase one for his self as he should have already have built 20 of them... But that’s just my .02.

He’s a retired machinist and competitive shooter that mostly does work for his friends and their small network of competitive shooters. He does work mostly for high power nra stuff, some benchrest and hunting rifles. He’s definitely old school but I have confidence in him due to the recommendations of several guys who I know can shoot well and use him.