• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which rifle rest (front & rear)?

ilmonster

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2012
My current bolt gun is a Rem. 700 SPS Tac in .223, housed in a B&C Medalist stock. Although I have a Harris bipod, most of my shooting at my club is off a bench. While they provide sand bags (in somewhat inflexible plastisized bags that previously held 25lbs of shot), I'd like to get a front and rear rest of my own for this and any future bolt guns (wouldn't get anything larger than 6.5 CM in the future).

What is your experience with front and rear rests? A large bag for the front, or a metal stand. If a metal stand, would you look at aluminum, steel or an iron stand (with a leather front bag on it)? If so, pluses and minuses with Caldwell, Protektor, Sinclair, etc. models? And no, I'm not looking to spend $1500 for a Farley or even $400 for a pricier Sinclair. Looking at $0 - $200). Thoughts to a rear bag that would go with a front rest? Thanks!

Buy a good $20-30 rear bag and learn to shoot your rifle off the Harris. If the rifle is decent you should be able to shoot sub moa with bipod/bag off the bench or prone. It is not that hard, it just takes practice.

What laseredge said. You don’t need a special front rest. If you want to shoot off a barricade then a bag upfront is very helpful, but if you’re shooting prone or from a bench a rear bag and a bipod is all you need. Just load the bipod, position and squeeze the bag to adjust your POA, and let her rip. If the rifle and ammunition are capable of it, it’s pretty easy to shoot 1/2 MOA or less, especially at 100. Holding sub 1/2 moa at distance is harder the farther out you go because there are so many other factors that affect your point of impact, which is a bunch more discussion about a bunch more topics. I’m not really an ELR guy (yet) and am certainly not a voice of authority on anything, but for reference I’ve shot out to 1360 with only a bipod and rear bag no prob. Other people on here have shot twice that far with the same setup.

Thanks for the replies! Off a bipod or the bench, my rifle has been able to put up 0.5 MOA groups out to 300 yards, so it's not an accuracy issue. Just thought off a bench an adjustable rest might be more appropriate. There is a range around 2 hours away that goes out to 600 yards I'd like to try this summer, and as you've suggested, I'm guessing it's a different game (accuracy wise) when you get 400-500 yds. out and further.

Just my opinion, bipod and bag should be just fine for the ranges you want to shoot.
I would get a STR8 Laced bag and a Crosstac heavy fill can bag for the rear bag and then just focus on practicing the fundamentals and natural point of aim.

Bullets dot com that's what you're asking for. Pretty affordable yet decent quality rest. I've got one that's been collecting dust in the garage for 3 years. It's a crutch and with practice you can shoot just as good with a rear bag and a bipod. A little more skill is required but that is also worth having. I'm not judging anybody, there is a Caldwell lead sled and a rear rest in my garage. But I would encourage you to learn how to use a bipod and a rear bag instead. If for no other reason it's just far more rewarding than removing the shooter from the equation entirely.