• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Rifle?

jsbcody

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2010
I have done some bolt rifle shooting (Remington 700s and Browning A Bolts: currently don't own any) and I want to move up to a Tactical rifle mostly for training and fun. Before I get my choices, I just want to say I am one these "buy it right the first time" people. I know some of the suggestions will be for antoher rifle, but I know I will want to upgrade in a year or two, so I might as well do it right the first time.

I am interested in a TAC OPS Tango 51 (spent a very enjoyable 45 minutes talking to Mike about his rifles). I know the Tango is a damn good rifle from all the reviews.

My other choice is a Desert Tactical Arms SRS. Completely different rifle but I do like the idea of switching barrels/bolts for different calibers. I have no plans right now to get into another caliber but it is a nice option to have. I have seen som reviews on the SRS but a lot of reviews were inital range reports. How is the SRS doing long time?

Thanks in advance for responding with any sugestions and advice.

Re: Which Rifle?

this is one of those questions that can get lots of responses but I will say that if you pick any of the builder's on the Hide or Tac Ops you won't be disappointed. If you have talked to Tac-Ops then you may have a decent relationship that may be the way to go. When you step up to the Tactical rifle builders you are moving up to a precision rifle. Then the rest is on you. If you shoot badly then it is truly you and not the rifle. I recently got a GAP M40A3 and I was more than surprised on the fit and finish of this rifle. Everything about it says quality. I have other Tactical rifles such as H&S Precision HTR and an AWC M40A2 but the GAP is just a cut above. I have never shot or even seen a Tac Ops but I have heard enough about them to know that I would get one if I had the money. Hope that helps.

Well i guess ill offer a opinion, what about a accuracy international AW in 308? The cost is about 5000 dollars for the rifle but there very accurate and built extremely well. Just a idea.

i think a switch barrel like the dta srs is a good idea,
one stock one trigger one scope.
but i have also had different rifles and liked them all for different reasons. having one rifle that is the same only different barrels to me would get boring.
i like to put rifles together that feature things that i like.
when you spend 2500.00 to +5000.00 it should be exactly what you want.