• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Rimfire? Need Help Choosing!

SJshooter

BTM FDR
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2011
Maryland
picasaweb.google.com
I've been watching this section and have been considering purchasing a decent bolt action 22 lr to use for training to save money.

I'm looking for something under $800.
Requirements:
-Detach box mag with up to 10 rounds capacity
-Able to be accesorized and accurized easily (decent amount of accesories)
-Adjustable trigger would be nice
-Scope Rail (obviously) but ability to put a picatinny rail on without having to tap and drill would be preferred.

I'm interested in CZ, Sako, Remington. Will consider other options.
Firstly, which manufacturer?

Then, what model?

(I will add more info later)

Re: Which Rimfire? Need Help Choosing!

Rifles are like girls, keep trying them until you find the one that fits.

I went through this same experiment several years back. I started with a CZ, then tried a Sako Quad, and finally got tired of experimenting and bought a Annie 64 MPR. It's a little higher than your price goal, but you might actually save money in the long run.

Just a thought.

jeff

Look for a Anschutz new or used. You will not be disappointed. Last year I picked up a 54 Sporter that was made in 1970 for $750.00, it will shoot with my 1413 out to 300 yards.

Nervous

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Which did you like better? The CZ or Sako Quad? What did you like and not like about each gun? </div></div>

The Quad had a much better trigger and fit and finish on the metal. The stock was plastic and didn't really do much for me. At the time the heavy barrel wasn't available so I went with the sporter weight barrel. I bought it fully expecting to add a lija barrel and an after market stock, but went with the MPR. I had roughly $950 in my MPR brand new, and it out shoot everything I own at 50 yards. Best trigger I own.

I am not familiar with the 22lr rifles you mentioned other than the Remington 40x. We shoot ARA matches so not many of us use the magazine boxes. That said last year 2 years ago I used the Savage mark II BSEV. It has a 10 and 25 round magazines adjustable trigger and runs about $450. It would print pretty good groups with federal super match ammo. Savage guarantees sub MOA with this ammo at 100yds. I have one I would sell you if you were in colorado.

I have a Ruger SR22 that I love. Super accurate & dependable. Paired with a Burris AR 3x...)

i voted for cz as the 452 varmint is my number one choice.

the savage tr is a close second

there is a reason why CZ is loved by so many.....if customization is a huge issue for you, the Savage may be the way to go. Better quality = CZ.

I would go with the CZ Model 452.

Heavy rifle = Anschutz

Light Rifle = CZ 452

Tactical Solutions. Has everything your looking for at a price of about $660. The only thing lacking is the trigger. Trigger job can be done by yourself or there are other drop in replacement trigger. Fyi Tactical Solutions is a ruger 10/22 copy with all the bells and whistles.

Eddie

I'm partial to Savage mkII's, but your mileage may vary. With your budget, any other those will fit the bill.