• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which rings to use on M1A w/Sadlak to allow irons

jtb33

Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
PHX, AZ - USA
Wasn't sure if this was more appropriate for the optics section or here.

Anyway, I have a SA M1A with a Sadlak mount on it and would like to get some 30mm rings that would still allow me to use the iron sights. The Sadlak supports the setup because of the "channel" down the mount. The catch is that I am not 100% sure which scope I will put on it, so I don't know the size of the objective. Most likely, it will be one of these:

USO SN3 Slimline 1.8-10x37
NF 2.5-10x24
Leupold Mk4 2.5-8x36

In any case, I don't think the objective will be above a 40. Can anyone recommend me some 30mm rings for my requirements?

Re: Which rings to use on M1A w/Sadlak to allow irons

A guy I've talked to ran a similar setup with LaRue QR rings and Badger Ordnance standard rings as I recall. He had the Leupold scope. I think the NF would be okay also but definitely not the USO.

not to discourage you at all, but there is an M14/M1A site i used to have that would know that, let me see if i can find the link.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A guy I've talked to ran a similar setup with LaRue QR rings and Badger Ordnance standard rings as I recall. He had the Leupold scope. I think the NF would be okay also but definitely not the USO. </div></div>
The Larues are a good height (with an ST10), but my sadlak chewed up the center lug of the rings since it isn't full width...YMMV..

BTW, I thought the 37mm ST10 was perfect for it.... so the 1.8-10 should be the same..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not to discourage you at all, but there is an M14/M1A site i used to have that would know that, let me see if I can find the link. </div></div>

this is a good site..
http://m14tfl.com/upload/

The ST-10's eyepiece is narrower than the SN-3's. I think by 5mm or so, I'd have to look at the spec sheet. You'd need taller rings for it to work with the SN-3. I think the guy who showed me his setup had the same issue with the LaRues and went to BO's.

m14tfl.com is a good site, I'm usually over there a lot more than here since this site is very limited on M14 related info.

I run ARMS throw-levers on mine. In my experience you're going to run into problems on the ocular end of the scope before you do on the objective end. Now I'm also running an ARMS base & have no experience with the Sadlak specifically, but I figure that have to be somewhat similar. I just know on my set up, it's a lot tighter over the rear sight than it is over the forearm with a 40mm objective.

By the way, NoExpert can make all the claims he wants, but I think he might actually be... an expert on M1A's (he at least stayed at a Holiday Inn Express
grin.gif
).

Good luck.

I have a M1a Std-Loaded with a Sadlack mount, and Badger std rings, holding a NF 5.5-22x56mm. I can't see the front sight because of the front bell. I lined up a laser and the laser hits the bell by about 1/4" (eyeball guestimate). The front bell is about 1/2" (or more) above the front barrel guard, so I don't want to get higher rings. Personally, I didn't spend $2000 on a scope because I want to use iron sights.

Regards,

Rick

I would hazard a guess that if you have a proper cheek weld to be able to see through a scope mounted to an M1A that there would be no way for you to get your face low enough to see through the irons. You would be best served getting an adjustable cheek piece, a good torque wrench and GOOD rings that get the scope as low as possible. A good set of rings will allow you to torque them back with good repeatability. When you want to shoot irons then pull the scope, lower the cheek rest and carry on. Use the last 5 rounds of the day to put your scope back on.

Cheers,

Doc

J-Ham is right, 9 out of 10 times the rear sight/eyepiece is where you'll need to pay attention to the ring height.

Rick S. also has a valid point and I share his feelings, if I'm scoping a rifle it's going to be a scoped rifle, period.

doc76251 is also correct and I use the same method as him. Typically good rings torqued to spec will bring you back within an inch of POA.

For me it's optics first, irons second. When I get my rifle back up and running I should be able to switch from optics to irons in a couple minutes with one tool that I can carry in the stock.

Of course this is your rifle and your setup so you need to do what fits your needs.

I'm actually in this same boat except I'm still waiting on parts to show up.

It'll be an SN-3 scope with a 44mm objective though.

I'll give the other site mentioned above a look. I'm really interested to see if I can find something similar therein.