• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Route For A Range Toy

Rolltide

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2003
East Tennessee
www.rimfiretactical.com
I'm struggling to make up my mind which direction to go. I don't have any PRS matches close to me, but I want a low recoil option in either .223 or 6mm Creedmoor.

I've went back and forth for quite a while, trying to decide on a .223 with a 1/7 twist for heavier bullets, or just go with the 6 Creed.

I've come across a nice build in .223, but I could buy a GAP PPR in 6 Creed for the same coin...but about 7 pounds lighter...

I'm know I can pick up some additional range with the 6 Creed, but I shoot my AIAT in 6.5 Creed out to range already, so I'm debating the real need for a 6 Creed versus the .223

Any thoughts one way or the other are appreciated. In either case, I'm thinking a Manners T4A, Trigger Tech Diamond and most likely a Bartlein but I'm open to suggestions.

NM, didn’t see that. I guess.223 for barrel life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolltide
223: low recoil, low cost, long barrel life. Better cheaper range toy—-more fun! Since you already have a long range 6.5. And there’s plenty of posts on the Hide of guys banging steel to 600 yds and beyond.

.223 because you already have a 6.5. Jon Beanland (Beanland Custom Rifles) built me a tack driving .223 this year. It is insane what those little 80.5 Bergers will do. Custom chamber for the Bergers, 1-7 twist Hawk Hill barrel. 200 get loaded weekly on the Dillon 550. Lapua brass $52 per 100, half the powder charge of a 6 CM, and 5,000ish barrel life. Cheap, accurate, and fun to shoot. What more do ya want?

You can buy a lot of ammo or components to feed your AT for what it will cost you to put together another rifle. Shooting your 6.5 will also familiarize yourself better with it and make you a better shooter with it.

Or just snag a 6 Creed barrel for your AT and make use of the quick change barrel system. You could buy a lot of barrels for what a rifle build and optic will run you.

HEAVY fill that stock, MTU contour barrel, brake or suppressor, and .223.

No recoiling range toy (y)

That's the plan. I believe when it's scoped, it should be around 13 to 14 pounds.

If all goes according to plan, it will ship tomorrow and be here on Friday...which means I'll be shooting it on Saturday...
probs will be heavier than that

running a 5# manners. TL3, 28" heavy Palma, heathen, razor gen 2 and vortex rings, and I'm around 17#

It's just a little over 14 1/2 pounds with a Bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18 scope. Once it stops raining here...if it ever does, I'll get some better pics and find out how it shoots....

B4464407-66F0-41A0-9757-AC27D0CC6EF3_4_5005_c.jpeg

Specs:

Remington Blueprinted 700
Timney Calvin Elite
Bartlein 24"
APA Little Bastard ( this will be leaving as soon as I can get a thread protector and a can )
Manners T4A in Black Forest Camo
Badger 20 MOA Rail
Badger Bottom Metal
Badger EFR
Bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18
Blackhawk rings ( all I could find )
MDT Magazine

I've got to ask, what's another option for a magazine? The MDT rattles like a bag of nickels...

Reactions: geek65 and MPrimo
I've had pretty good luck with the Accurate Mags.

Accurate Mag as stated above. Have the front plastic piece milled out or razor blade it your self for longer COAL.

Accurate Mags sounds like the way to go.

Thanks for the help!

I took it out to the range today but only put 20 rounds through it.

The rifle definitely likes the 75's and it was boring shooting plates at 300...which is a good thing.

Reactions: MPrimo