• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which RRS tripod?

IdahoSpud

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
I’m assuming RRS is still the gold standard in tripods?

I’ve been scratching my head trying to figure out which model and series I’m after. This will be my first quality tripod, having only used cheap ones like BOG before.

Will mostly be used for hunting, with target shooting occasionally. Because I plan on packing it around for coyotes, and elk/deer, I’m thinking the ultralight in long is what I want?

Considering some of these are $1500 plus the cost of attachments I really don’t want to mess this order up.

From what I’ve read the BH 55 head is something I’ll be needing to purchase with it. Do I need other attachments to hook it on to an MLOL rail, sling swivel etc?

Thanks.

@MNTC can help you probably pick out the lighter tripod but the bh55 is heavy. If I were hunting I would probably want an anvil 30.

Reactions: IdahoSpud
Tfct 24L with the anvil 30 is what you want. It’s light enough to hunt with and pack. Tall enough for everything and sturdy enough for matches and just shooting off of in general. Its what I went with and it’s incredible. I bought mine from Mike at mile high shooting above and it was just under $1,500 shipped. Amazing

Strictly hunting... The 14L with Anvil 30 for out west is my pick. I've shot my 22lb AI off it without issues. The 24L for a crossover is really hard to beat though.

I carried my Ascend with ascend head last year elk hunting and didn't even notice the thing in my pack and it does well enough for a light hunting gun but is being replaced with the 14L this year. Just wanted a little more stability for longer shots.

If you could only have one tripod for all things, the 24L would be it in my opinion. I sold my 34L and currently own the Ascend with Ascend head, the 14L anvil 30, 24L anvil 30 and the 34 anvil 30.

My uses are below:
Ascend for ultra light setup. Think sheep or goat hunting or extra tripod in the bag for the camera or light spotter setup.
14L for western hunting. Elk, mule deer, etc. Packs well and still very solid for shooting off of.
24L for crossover or do it all.
34 for a truck to range shooting my heavier rifles.

l'm available now but will echo what has been said. If you want to call feel free.
My suggestions would be:
Ascend-14L with Platform and I can talk to you about the different ballhead options
If going with the Anvil-30 AARC Ballhead, Id push you to: TFCT-14L or TFCT-24L
If you want to stick with the 2 series for the increased rigidity and crossover but want a different head, Id probably push toward BH-30 or 40.

Reactions: IdahoSpud
What makes a good competitive shooting tripod is kind of the opposite of a lightweight hunting tripod.

For hunting you want something light and compact since you are carrying it 99% of the time and maybe using it 1%.

For competitive shooting you want beefy and stable. Even better is the 2 section tripods for faster deployment on the clock.

The 24L may be a good compromise for both. The Anvil 30 is a must no matter what legs you buy. That thing is worth its weight in gold.

Thanks for the replies. I think I’m going to go with the heavier more stable one… Whenever I can actually find one in stock that is. If I’m going to spend that kind of money I want to make sure it’s very solid and great for target shooting too.

I’m still carrying over 16 pounds of rifle, and the heavier one is only 1 pound more than the crap BOG Adrenaline I’ve been using.

When I’m coyote hunting (which will be the majority of hunting with it ) I travel light. I wouldn’t mind a 10 pound tripod in that case.

Reactions: goneballistic
I hope by heavier one you mean the 24L. It’s ridiculously solid to shoot off and light enough for everything else.

Reactions: goneballistic
Still haven't taken the plunge on this because of availability. I ended up buying a Vortex Radian with ball head.
Thinking of just buying the TFCT 34L when I can now. It looks like it would still be 2 pounds lighter than the Radian I have now. Is there any reason not to get the 34L over the 24L besides is weighing 1 pound more (but still lighter than current one)?

Huh...ended up finding the RRS 24L so I snagged it. Side by side it seems noticeable less stable that the $600 cheaper Vortex... Haven't shot off it yet but that's disappointing.

i had an ascend and sold it after getting a 24L.

If all you do is live off your back hunting the 14L will be hard to beat, ideal for rifles under 12 pounds, and some skill. They have a bit of wobble.

24L is a jack of all trades, and very solid with a hunting gun, but you will know your carrying it.

For some time I had both and don’t regret getting rid of the 14L. Couldn’t justify it for that one hunt every once in a while where that pound may make a difference.

Still haven't taken the plunge on this because of availability. I ended up buying a Vortex Radian with ball head.
Thinking of just buying the TFCT 34L when I can now. It looks like it would still be 2 pounds lighter than the Radian I have now. Is there any reason not to get the 34L over the 24L besides is weighing 1 pound more (but still lighter than current one)?
I’m running a 34L with anvil 30 and packed it in Colorado this fall. If your an ultralight hunter and have spent thousands to save ounces buy the 14L. The few ounces between the 24 and 34 are up to you.