• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which runout gauge?

Jefe's Dope

Red Forman
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2017
    Just like the title says. I'm looking to get a runout gauge for reloading 6GT. I assume they all work with most calibers but thought I'd include it.

How about best money no object and best for budget.

Just like the title says. I'm looking to get a runout gauge for reloading 6GT. I assume they all work with most calibers but thought I'd include it.

How about best money no object and best for budget.
    The better concentricity gauges are those that are not held and indexed off the case's base: like Hornady's

As mentioned above, the
    The 21st Century concentricity gauge "money no object"

Sinclair Concentricity gauge "best for budget".

Last edited:
    I have a RCBS its got to be 20 years old definitely want a 21st Century with a wheel. But what straightshooter 1 said kind of makes sense with the Hornady maybe being better?

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    I use the Sinclair one as my final answer. I also have the Hornady concentricity checker/corrector. I use them both. I look for .002" or less TIR at the bullet tip with the Sinclair checker to be considered match grade. If out more than .002", I'll use the Hornady corrector to gently bump a round into compliance.

The wheel type like 21st Century or Accuracy One are damn nice with stubby cartridges.

My screw up what i ment is that the Hornady may be the better gauge that holds the case at the base not compared to the gauges that you roll the case on rollers or v blocks. That's if you can indeed fix runout on a seated round. To me it's not really necessary just use the bad rounds for shorter work up to 300 yards i seen no difference in group size,just when i shoot further out do i notice a difference on paper.

I have the Hornady also and it works. I'm sure there are better ones out there but it does do the job at a good price. Hornady makes some tools that do work well as does RCBS and all the other big names in the reloading game. Just have to pick the best one for your needs. Seems every company has some tools that works really good and others that don't. For Hornady, this concentricity tool is one of the ones that do work.

Just like the title says. I'm looking to get a runout gauge for reloading 6GT.

How about best money no object

c8000-01.jpg

Very pleased with the Redding Slant Bed Concentricity Gauge. I have tried a few and settled on this one.

This one may fit the bill for best for budget. I like the angle for ease of viewing. Place holder for the Accurate or 21st Century.