• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which SA bolt faces can reliably handle SRPs?

Mr. Wolf

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Heartland
Looking to experiment with 6.5CM with small rifle primer cases over the winter.
Plan is for moderate loads to ~2850 fps with H4350 from a 24“ barrel.

What short action (large manufacture or small batch custom) can reliably shoot small primer cartridges without piercing primers and without the need for shimming for a smaller firing pin?

Your experiences would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My experience is with the 6.5 SRP Lapua brass necked to .25 ..... over 5k rounds through an impact action with a couple thousand through an older defiance deviant with no issues. I've also run some through an older stiller TAC 30 with no issues so I'd think that any custom action would work fine, especially at the lower velocity you're looking for...... seems pretty mild load that will not push the edge of pressure.

Reactions: Mr. Wolf
New(er) AIs are capable of firing SRPs. There is a cutoff year, like Post 2018, that are all capable of it. Somone here can chime in on that.

I just sent my 2014 AI BOLT in for bushing work at LRI. Turn around time was great, work looks excellent, reasonable price. I can now shoot SRPs in my AI w/o piercing primers on a mild load. I couldn't before.

Last edited:
I’ve been shooting srp through my plain Jane Bergara hmr with Peterson and Lapua brass. Never pierced a primer.

THank you everyone, good knowledge drops.
Hopefully others down the road can use this to help with their decisions with SRP reloading In SA rifles.

Actions that seem to work in addition to (or have) bolts with small diameter firing pin diameter of 0.062”:
ARC (all 3)
Bergara
Defiance anTi/anTiX
Defiance Deviant
Defiance Ruckus
Kelbly Nanook
Sako s20
Stiller TAC 30 (newer)
Tikka

What SA bolts have you found that DOSEN’T work (pierces or severely craters primers)?
Stiller TAC 30 (older)

Mixed results:
Remington

Last edited:
I have a Remington 700 in 6.5x47 shooting cci450s and I haven't had any problems with a 130 berger doing about 2810.

THank you everyone, good knowledge drops.
Hopefully others down the road can use this to help with their decisions with SRP reloading In SA rifles.

Actions that seem to work in addition to (or have) bolts with small diameter firing pin diameter 0.062”:
Bergara
Defiance Deviant
Defiance Ruckus
Sako s20
Stiller TAC 30
Tikka

What SA bolts have you found that DOSEN’T work (pierces or severely craters primers)?
Add
Defiance anTi/anTiX
Kelbly Nanook

Thanks. List updated.
Put Remington in the mixed results list.
I gave Tika because you asked for mass produced (read factory) actions.

If your including custom then put ARC on the list as GTG. I have all 3 & they all have the small firing pin with a very close fit through the bolt.

My go to 6.5C load is 130 Hyb @2950 in Lapua SRP brass with ARC Nuke Gen 1.2 25" barrel.

Had an early model TAC 30 with the PTG bolt that copied the R700 right down to the big sloppy a$$ FP hole. It cratered primers on damn near everything, including factory BH 308 match ammo - SRP brass wasn't even a thing back then. Stiller gave zero fucks. Made me *so* happy to have to send my brandy new bolt off to get the FP hole bushed. Awesome experience on one's very first 'custom' action.

Had an early model TAC 30 with the PTG bolt that copied the R700 right down to the big sloppy a$$ FP hole. It cratered primers on damn near everything, including factory BH 308 match ammo - SRP brass wasn't even a thing back then. Stiller gave zero fucks. Made me *so* happy to have to send my brandy new bolt off to get the FP hole bushed. Awesome experience on one's very first 'custom' action.
Appreciate the shared knowledge. List updated with TAC 30 (older)