• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Savage. 308?

Mcgnuggitt

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2022
Ontario Canada
I'm new to rifles, being a pistol guy for years. I we t with a friend who had a tactical Remington 700 and loved smacking targets put past 300 yards (longest range near me).
Anyway, Remingtons are hard to find now that they're insolvent. I have a line on 2 entry level rifles. I'm sticking with. 308 (yes I know 6.5 shoots further and more stable, but 308 is still cheaper and more plentiful where I am and my friends all have 308). Also, I won't often shoot further than 300 yards based on range limitations.
Theres a Savage 10 FCP McMillan and a Savage Axis II Precision at the same price. Which is better?
Want to keep the budget down and I've heard good things about the accu trigger.
Opinions?

10 FCP is far better. I’d stay away from the Savage Axis. Have you considered a Bergara or Tikka T3x? I have a Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 Cm, and it shoots fantastically, but with the options available today I would opt for the Bergara over the Savage for Rem 700 aftermarket compatibility.

Does that stand for Axis II? Some boards suggest they redeemed the quality issues with the old axis. But I appreciate your expertise and input. Tikkas are easy to find here. What's their allure /niche? What model do you suggest for a quality entry level rig?

I’d go FCP before Axis

I’d go Tikka before savage

I’d go Tikka T3X CTR

I’d get .223 for your indented range if you don’t need 308 knockdown power

Reactions: evilsemaj
I have a 110 in .308 (yhat I'm switching to 6.5), a 12FV in .308, and a Tikka CTR 6.5. I recommend getting a Tikka.

I also have the 12fV. Good rifle, but I HIGHLY recommend anyone to step up to a Tikka before going Savage. Action is light years better than the Savage for not much more money. ( I should add I have 3 Savages and have grown tired of all the little niggly issues with them.)

Reactions: evilsemaj
I’d go FCP before Axis

I’d go Tikka before savage

I’d go Tikka T3X CTR

I’d get .223 for your indented range if you don’t need 308 knockdown power
Handloaded 80gr and over bullets for the .223 are a hoot at 1000 yards. Not all rifles and magazine systems will let you load to the 2.500" or longer lengths necessary to capitalize on running the heavies, though. Check the rifle specs for maximum load length if you plan to go .223 for long range. A 1:6.5 to 1:7 twist and 26" of barrel length is a must with the long projectiles as well. Our mild load with 80gr Amax runs 2770fps and brass life is amazing. Some folks are running 100fps faster without brass issues.

My savage has been collecting dust for 7 years now. Hate the bolt lift on that action. Get the tikka.

What is your budget? The FCP McMillan looks like it's around 1200. For around that I would definitely go Tikka CTR.

Out of stock right now. Also Shot Show is coming up so might be some new stuff announced to check out. I'm hoping to see these in the US:

Are you going to get the gun, throw a scope on it, shoot it, and never upgrade it? If the answer is “yes” then get a Savage. If your going to do any upgrades then look at another manufacturer.

I mentioned the T3X above

If I wanted to get into a decent platform for less $$ it be,

Tikka T3X CTR
KRG Bravo
Yo Dave spring for trigger

Watch the px

If you haven't gotten the hint yet, most will take Tikka over Savage and many even over the Remington. As mentioned above, a T3x CTR, KRG Bravo stock and a Yo Dave spring will put you light years ahead of the Savage and a rig only surpassed by going custom.

MSRP for that combo is $1481, $1089 if you want to hold off on the KRG for a month or two.