• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Savage for long range shooting?

youngun

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2012
I've been contemplating a long range rifle for a while now and finally decided to bite the bullet. Im wanting an out of the box sub MOA rifle that I can shoot from the get go and slowly build on as the money comes in. My original idea was a Remington 700 but after discussing this with a few people a lot seemed to recomend looking into a Savage for out of the box accuracy.

I've never owned a Savage, never shot one, never even held one so I am completly in the blind at the moment. This is where I was hopping for some help. Which model would fullfill my needs?

A basic run down of what I am after is a .308 Win, heavy barell, 1:10 twist (only because that was what was recomended to me for my intended purpose, not sure if entirly suited), sub moa out of the box. Not too worried about the stock (heard they were cheap) as it will be the first thing I replace. My intended purpose is to shoot mostly to 600 yards in the field but occassionaly out to 800-1000 yards and also will spend time on a bench at the range. I want to keep the price under US$1000 as the mark up once it gets to Australia is a killer.

I hope I have provided all relevant information. Any and all help is appreciated.

Cheers

Re: Which Savage for long range shooting?

Model 12 FVSS has a 1:10 Twist barrel length is 26 inches and according to Savages website it is $895 so this should be a good one to start with. Also have you considered doing a Stevens 200 Build? Also look in the classifieds you may find a better deal on one there ie already upgraded stock an such but getting someone to ship it to you over seas maybe difficult hope this helps ya

Model 10PC also has 1:10 twist and 20" heavy barrel that is threaded for a brake or can.

I've only taken mine out to 550 yds with some reloads and it easliy did MOA. Am sure it would do better with a better shooter and some more tweaking of the reloads.

You may also want to research the various models. The 10PC has the bolt release on the bottom in front of the trigger guard, which I believe takes it out of the running if you'd ever want to put the barreled action in a chassis system.

A buddy of mine bought a Savage .308 Cabela's exclusive in a cholate tactical stock - bolt release up by the bolt. He was able to bolt it right into a McCree Chassis. Sweet shooting gun that is capbable of shooting bug holes.

I would consider Savage Model 10FCP-K in .308, 10FP-SR, 10 PC, or the 10 FCP-SR all in .308. the 10 FCO-SR looks interesting as it comes from the factory with a detachable 10-round magazine and is what many try to add.

My .02, I would build a savage in whichever combination you desire. If you want a bull barrel 18" 308 in a 1:10 tw. Order all the components and build one.

I bought a model 10 FCP-K at Thanksgiving for about the same usage myself. We have club matches out to 540 yards and several shops and friends suggested a Savage as being about the best value out of the box. I think they were right. Mine is a 1/2 MOA rifle and I haven't done anything to it but mount a scope and shoot it.

When I bought it I didn't know about the aftermarket stock limitations with the Accutrigger and bottom bolt release. I don't know what benefit to expect from a stock swap, other than comfort, but this factory stock can't be all bad.

This model is 24" heavy fluted barrel with a muzzle brake, and a detachable box magazine. I like it, but don't have anything else to compare it to.

I put a 3.5-21x50 Bushnell DMR scope with a G2DMR reticle on it a few weeks ago and am slowly learning to shoot it out to 540 yards.

Joe

I got the savage 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor for the better ballistics. It is a sub moa rifle. The HS precision stock wasn't bad but I have it in a McCree now which fits me better.

I have an older Savage 110 tactical in a bell and carlson stock that shoots sub moa all day long.

I have a 10 FCP-K in .308 and have won every match at our range I have entered with it. We shoot from 200-800yrds. I have taken it out to 1,000 just as easily. My buddy was so impressed with it that he ditched his 700 and bought a Savage in .260 Rem. They are great rifles. I have replaced the stock on mine, but the accustock is not bad for accuracy I just did not care for the ergonomics as much.

+1 LRP 6.5 Creedmoor. Only mine shoots so well in the HS stock I scared to change it out?

Owned an fcp-k. Nice gun, but i hate the accustock idea. Ended up bedding the stock, and shot bug hole groups. Also ditched the muzzle brake. Lloyd and unnecessary. Also don't care for the accutrigger - too many sear slips and jams against accurelease.
I have since sold it and bought a savage HS precision and installed a Karsten cheek rest, SSS 9 round magazine, and SSS comp trigger. Sub MOA all day with reloads:
2012-12-11_19-45-19_892.jpg

2012-12-11_19-46-41_625.jpg

2012-12-08_17-19-36_135.jpg

I'd go with the model 10fcp McMillan. You don't have to worry about replacing the stock. Stock alone is $500 or more. All you have to do is add pillars and bed it. I did that myself and it shoots submoa. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Haven't posted anything for a while but decided to update this thread.

I ended up going with a Savage 10 FCP-K .308 and could not be happier with it. Manage .5moa at 100m reasonably easily and thats without handloads as Im not set up to reload for .308 at this point. I've had it for about 5 months now but have only had the chance to take out and shoot it 3 times.

Current set up is Warne Tactical rings and base, Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50, harris bi-pod, TAB sling and Bradley cheek raiser. Haven't had to spend anytime or money to get it shooting accuratly so I can not complain.

Not much of a write up but thought I would just share it.

(Everyone needs a good spotter)