• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which scope? 3-15 vs 5-25

R700P308

Private
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2017
Kentucky
Looking to buy an optic in the $1000 range for my Tikka 6.5CM. Pretty much settled on the Viper PST line.

Rifle will be used primarily for riflekraft-type training within 300yds or occasionally shooting out past 1000 at a local range. Hope to get started with NRL Hunter at some point, but this will stay a "crossover" type rifle for now.

Do I go with the smaller footprint and slightly lower weight of the 3-15x44 or the higher mag and larger objective of the 5-25x50?

My only experience with "precision rifle" is NRL22, so I need y'alls help.

INFO:
Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50
Length: 15.79"
Weight: 31.2oz

Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44
Length: 14.3"
Weight: 28.1oz

I would look at the SWFA offerings they normally track better than the PST. The 3x15 did real well for me out to 600 after that I was wishing for a little more power, HD glass would have probably been enough though. 3x15 with HD glass.

I usually go for more power because the price between the two is pretty close and the weight isnt much more. I just see the 5-25 as more versatile. Steel, coyotes, tiny varmints from a long ways off, no problem. I have three PST2 5-25’s.

My next one will probably be a 3-15 for my 300wm, a dedicated lightweight big game rifle. But who knows, maybe I’ll change my mind again when I’m looking at them side by side.

This 👆

The difference in price is pretty small too. The only reason I would ever encourage a lower magnification is for weight or size difference.

wider fov with 3x vs. more magnification. which will you need more often?

I've had both scopes. You'll almost certainly do better with the 5-25x50.

The objective diameter really won't matter much - more important is how much total elevation is available. The 3-15 has a slight advantage here - 22 mils vs 20 for the 5-25. (Keep in mind that 20 mils is the Total - 10 above center, 10 below... so you'll need a 20- or 30MOA rail or rings to get your max elevation; just be aware that a 30MOA rail will have your erector nearly maxed out in travel at 100-yard zero and that can stress the springs over time.)

But the extra magnification will be helpful at times - like for zeroing, load development, etc. - even though 15x is adequate for the vast majority of PRS competition scenarios. Better to have the magnification and not need it than the converse. I found that out the expensive way.

Finally, if you go with the 5-25x50, get the EBR-7C reticle. You can find deals on the discontinued EBR-2C scopes. Don't do it.

Reactions: trob
Your image in most all scopes is nearly always more clear closer to the middle of the magnification range. So if you need 12-15x the image will be more clear in the 5-25x. Also, you’ll almost never need the 3-4x

Reactions: trob and R700P308
Take a look at the Burris. The bigger brother is a couple hundred more. I’d buy this before any PST

Reactions: R700P308
I've had both scopes. You'll almost certainly do better with the 5-25x50.

The objective diameter really won't matter much - more important is how much total elevation is available. The 3-15 has a slight advantage here - 22 mils vs 20 for the 5-25. (Keep in mind that 20 mils is the Total - 10 above center, 10 below... so you'll need a 20- or 30MOA rail or rings to get your max elevation; just be aware that a 30MOA rail will have your erector nearly maxed out in travel at 100-yard zero and that can stress the springs over time.)

But the extra magnification will be helpful at times - like for zeroing, load development, etc. - even though 15x is adequate for the vast majority of PRS competition scenarios. Better to have the magnification and not need it than the converse. I found that out the expensive way.

Finally, if you go with the 5-25x50, get the EBR-7C reticle. You can find deals on the discontinued EBR-2C scopes. Don't do it.
This is very helpful. Thanks. I was going to ask about the EBR-7C next.
Take a look at the Burris. The bigger brother is a couple hundred more. I’d buy this before any PST
I'll look into it, though tbh that thought process kinda never ends. The PST is a couple hundred over what I wanted to spend originally, so I think I'll stop here. I will take a look at the Burris though. Thanks!

EDIT: Actually, the MSRP of that Burris is comparable to the PST!

Your image in most all scopes is nearly always more clear closer to the middle of the magnification range. So if you need 12-15x the image will be more clear in the 5-25x. Also, you’ll almost never need the 3-4x
Never knew that. Good to know!

This thing might be better than the Vortex in every way. The PST's aren't bad scopes, but I think the Burris has a lot more advantages.

Reactions: R700P308
This thing might be better than the Vortex in every way. The PST's aren't bad scopes, but I think the Burris has a lot more advantages.
Spent some time researching this...VERY impressive scope.

My nagging concerns, however, are:
1. Some confusion on what model is which. It looks like the big price drop is only on the non-illum versions? CameraLandNY lists it at $999. OpticsPlanet is up over $1500.
2. A lot of complaints about the reticle being too fine. I happen to like the Vortex EBR-7C and -2C. Some people think that one's too thin too. Are they comparable? One man's "too thin" is another's "nice and precise."
3. Mushy turrets. This is a real pet peeve of mine. But maybe I'll just have to get over it.

This thing has my interest if I can figure out the reticle and whether I care about illumination.

Very helpful thread. Thanks.

Spent some time researching this...VERY impressive scope.

My nagging concerns, however, are:
1. Some confusion on what model is which. It looks like the big price drop is only on the non-illum versions? CameraLandNY lists it at $999. OpticsPlanet is up over $1500.
2. A lot of complaints about the reticle being too fine. I happen to like the Vortex EBR-7C and -2C. Some people think that one's too thin too. Are they comparable? One man's "too thin" is another's "nice and precise."
3. Mushy turrets. This is a real pet peeve of mine. But maybe I'll just have to get over it.

This thing has my interest if I can figure out the reticle and whether I care about illumination.

Very helpful thread. Thanks.
You want the 7c, open center with the dot.
I bought a couple of the 2D models on clearance (closed center crosshairs) and, although I prefer those solid crosshairs to the open center of the 2C, I prefer the 7C by a lot. I don’t think I’d ever want a totally open center.

And what another poster said is the truth, your image is clearer in the middle. So with a 3-15, you might pick up a little fuzziness at 15x. With the 5-25, you don't see it until about 23/24x. Also, more people want the 5-25, so if you ever sell it, you won’t take quite as big of a hit.

here’s a 7c for $850 at eurooptic
https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Vi...C-MRAD-Riflescope-PST-5259-Showroom-Demo.aspx

Not arguing that middle range isn't usually better than the top. Definitely saw it on the XTR3, mid range clarity and resolution was awesome for $1,100 (more CA than PST 3-15 & RG2 at 15x, but not enough to really matter), turrets are cheese graters which is why I returned it (not putting a condom over my turrets to make it work without hurting my soft delicate fingers)

Having owned four PST 3-15s, of 3 none of mine were not soft at the top, but X is limited to 15x (one is still NIB for a rainy day).

I wasn't a fan of the 5-25x, it worked fine but I think the 3-15 is an easier scope with better glass. Again, X is limited.

I agree that resale on the 5-25 will be much better, as it's very popular with the .22 crowd that can't afford ZCOs...

7C is the best reticle. 2C & SD are both usable IME. 7C work better at lower X with greater FOV because you can more easily/precisely center your target at a lower X. Take note of the .2 reticle marks which are finer than the .5 of the 2C,2D. Most people prefer them, others consider them clutter.

The PST is a couple hundred over what I wanted to spend originally, so I think I'll stop here. I will take a look at the Burris though.
If you're interested in the Burris, you should definitely call Doug @gr8fuldoug at CameraLandNY and tell him you heard about him and the store on Sniper's Hide. If budget is a concern, you might also take a look at the Athlon Midas TAC, also available at CameraLandNY.

Interesting that so many folks seem to prefer the 3-15 over the 5-25 for usability.

Still considering that Burris but...the reticle does look really fine.

i'd take a 5-25 ebr7c strike eagle over a pst gen 2 everyday

that being said the 4.5-22 LHT isn't much above your $1k limit

Rifle will be used primarily for riflekraft-type training within 300yds or occasionally shooting out past 1000 at a local range.
I am a fan of the 3-15x, but...

But if you're taking it out past 1000, you will want more magnificatino.

3-15x would not be my choice at 1000.

Inside of 5 or 600, I would prefer the 3-15, but if you're stretching to 1k regularly it's not the right tool for the job.

I am a fan of the 3-15x, but...

But if you're taking it out past 1000, you will want more magnificatino.

3-15x would not be my choice at 1000.

Inside of 5 or 600, I would prefer the 3-15, but if you're stretching to 1k regularly it's not the right tool for the job.
I won't be taking it beyond 300yds very often...once a year I'd imagine. Maybe more when work calms down a bit.

$650 and $800 for the 7C reticle

At full prices id go Burris XTRIII all day. However at this sale price, I chose the sale on the PST over almost double for the XTRIII 5.5-30 (which is on sale for $1,100 on cameraland)

Last edited:
I went with the 5-25 in the 7C reticle. I got some really good commentary recommending the 2C reticle for $200 less, but since this is a scope that I intend to keep indefinitely (no plans to upgrade unless my life situation changes dramatically) and I'm reticle picky, I went with the 7C.

I think it will serve me well. Thanks again to everyone for the help. This place is great.

Reactions: trob and pineoak