• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which scope for my new PRS22 build?

Litzner

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2023
Michigan
I am building a new rifle for PRS 22 next year, this will be my first open division rifle. I have Kenny spinning me up a barreled action which I am planning on dropping into a KRG Bravo chassis. I am trying to decide on an optic for this build, as I would feel bad moving my Arken EP5 over to it. I won't need the optic for another 4 or 5 months, so I have time to wait for a deal.

I am looking to keep the price around $1500-2000. The following are the optics I have been looking at. I would be very interested in hearing peoples opinions when it comes to glass resolution/clarity, FOV, and eye box. Or any other optics I should be added into my list.

Tract Toric 4.5-30X56

I hear many great things about this optic. The only thing that bothers me about it the oversized locking turrets. I personally would prefer something a little more low profile, and not locking, at least on the elevation dial.

Apex Rival 4-32×56

This scope looks pretty good to me. I love the reticle.

Maven RS.4 5-30X56

This optic checks all my boxes from what I have seen in review. I just think the CFR-MIL reticle looks very crowded around the aimpoint which turns me off from it a bit.

Burris XTR III 5.5-30x56

This scope seems to check everything, and sometimes it appears you can get some pretty good deals on it. The reticle looks OK I guess.

Burris XTR Pro 5.5-30x56

I love the fact it is made in the USA. I don't really care for the capped windage, but I do love the idea of the whiteboard turret.

Zeiss LRP S3 636-56

It sounds like this may have some of the best glass available, and I love the turret and magnification adjustments. A little expensive for me.

I've got an Athlon Ares on one rifle and a Vortex Venom on the other. Both 457s are in KRG Bravos. Both are fixin to get a Yo Dave spring as soon as I get off my rear end and install em.

It isn't the scope making me miss. Cheap OR expensive(ish)

As much as I hate to accept the blame for not being stable on the barricades and to blame the rifle/equipment, I know its me.

M

I have a Burris XTR IIIi 3-18x50 on my NRL 22 rig and love it - it's a great scope, forgiving eyebox was my reason for buying it.. Some asshole will chime in saying it sucks and that their 25.00 Tasco from Chinamart has 10000x better glass and shit.

Reactions: FreAll
I have a Athlon Cronus on my Vudoo. I got it for under $900 and it rivals my Gen II Razor.

I think it’s a GREAT choice for NRL .22.

I'm actually selling a TRACT Toric very soon (got a great deal on Gen III's and had to get them) and I've loved that Toric. Don't worry about those turrets, they are the easiest turrets I've ever used and I actually hated going back to the turrets on my ZCO I had on another rifle after shooting with the Toric. The glass is VERY clear and gives a Gen III a run for the money. The reticle is AWESOME in my opinion. They may have a sale this weekend for Labor Day. I've heard very good things about all the other scopes you're looking at...I will say that a top shooter I shoot with is moving away from his Cronus due to glass that's not up to his expectations, but again, that could be subjective. Finally, glass, toughness, and reticle are the most important things for me. Everything else, including locking/not locking turrets is secondary...At least again, for me.

You can see my review of the Toric here:

On that list, I'd look at the Zeiss LRP and recently saw one or two in the PX.

Reactions: Craig Brown
The Zeiss is the easy winner in your list. Even the 4-25 would be a good scope if the 6-36 is too much. The 4-25 also has 46.5 mils of elevation. 25x is enough for matches. I can think of maybe a few times I went over 16x in matches this year. I have the 4-25 on my Vudoo on a 20 moa mount and 40 moa base and have about 41 mils of up elevation.

I have owned the Pro and the Tract also from your list and both are excellent. I wasn’t a fan of how far you have to pull the Tract knob up to unlock. If they dropped that down to about half of what it is that would be great. The reticle is really nice. Their new 4-25 is worth a look too as it has a ton of elevation also.

The Pro is really nice also and the 12 mil race dial is a cool feature. No tool zero also. Has 26 mils of elevation so on a 40 moa base you can dial to 400 yards. You can just take the cap off the windage knob if you wanted it exposed but I usually hold wind so doesn’t bother me.

The Zeiss is the easy winner in your list. Even the 4-25 would be a good scope if the 6-36 is too much. The 4-25 also has 46.5 mils of elevation. 25x is enough for matches. I can think of maybe a few times I went over 16x in matches this year. I have the 4-25 on my Vudoo on a 20 moa mount and 40 moa base and have about 41 mils of up elevation.

I have owned the Pro and the Tract also from your list and both are excellent. I wasn’t a fan of how far you have to pull the Tract knob up to unlock. If they dropped that down to about half of what it is that would be great. The reticle is really nice. Their new 4-25 is worth a look too as it has a ton of elevation also.

The Pro is really nice also and the 12 mil race dial is a cool feature. No tool zero also. Has 26 mils of elevation so on a 40 moa base you can dial to 400 yards. You can just take the cap off the windage knob if you wanted it exposed but I usually hold wind so doesn’t bother me.

Well right at the moment I am looking at the XTR 3 for $1300, the XTR Pro for $1900, and the LRP S3 for $2200.

Have you looked in the PX? Best deals around.

Well right at the moment I am looking at the XTR 3 for $1300, the XTR Pro for $1900, and the LRP S3 for $2200.

That will come down to how much you feel comfortable spending. The XTRIII is a good scope but the Pro has a little better glass and some other features. If you can swing the Zeiss you will be very happy but the Pro is a good choice also.

Are you former military/LE/First Responder? Can get some deals on Expertvoice also.

Reactions: Lightning8
That will come down to how much you feel comfortable spending. The XTRIII is a good scope but the Pro has a little better glass and some other features. If you can swing the Zeiss you will be very happy but the Pro is a good choice also.

Are you former military/LE/First Responder? Can get some deals on Expertvoice also.

Out of these options, which do you think would be the easiest to get behind quickly and focus in on your targets? On my current EP5 my biggest weakness is finding my targets and getting behind the optic. Some of this should be resolved though when I have a stock that allows me to get the proper length of pull and cheek weld.

The Zeiss. Glass is really good. Reticle is good. But the amount of elevation travel is insane. My only knock is the tall turrets. But that's just a minor gripe. I'd buy one.

The Zeiss. Glass is really good. Reticle is good. But the amount of elevation travel is insane. My only knock is the tall turrets. But that's just a minor gripe. I'd buy one.

The Zeiss turrets aren’t any taller than the Burris Pro dial. They really aren’t overly tall for a scope. Below are the Steiner T6, Burris Pro and Zeiss S3 next to each other. It was hard to hold them all where tubes are about the same so took another pic of the Pro turret next to the Zeiss.

EE0A7328-D2A8-4E9B-A8E6-4845E0480BC2.jpeg

86612935-E86C-4B61-9F89-FE9090BCD63F.jpeg

Out of these options, which do you think would be the easiest to get behind quickly and focus in on your targets? On my current EP5 my biggest weakness is finding my targets and getting behind the optic. Some of this should be resolved though when I have a stock that allows me to get the proper length of pull and cheek weld.

That is definitely more to do with the total set up in having your rifle set with proper comb height and eye relief and having it on a lower power so you have a larger FOV. A usual mistake made by newer shooters is having their scope on max power. Dial it down to about 14-16x and you have a much larger FOV to find targets.

Have used them all in matches and didn’t have a hard time to get behind any of them and find targets. They are all pretty easy to get behind.

Reactions: Litzner
That is definitely more to do with the total set up in having your rifle set with proper comb height and eye relief and having it on a lower power so you have a larger FOV. A usual mistake made by newer shooters is having their scope on max power. Dial it down to about 14-16x and you have a much larger FOV to find targets.

Have used them all in matches and didn’t have a hard time to get behind any of them and find targets. They are all pretty easy to get behind.
If I add the Razor HD Gen III into my options does this change things up a bit?

Also, out of all the aforementioned optics do you have any input when it comes to DoF?

Thank you very much for your expertise Rob!

If I add the Razor HD Gen III into my options does this change things up a bit?

Also, out of all the aforementioned optics do you have any input when it comes to DoF?

Thank you very much for your expertise Rob!

The Gen III would fall in with the Zeiss in terms of glass. It would be up in the top of the choices but is also for price as the Zeiss is too.

The DOF on them all is good enough for matches. .22 matches have that issue with under 100 yards and small targets so I am always adjusting some with all. Over the 100 yard area they all have that fair area where you can take shots and not need to have to adjust but past 200 they all seem to sit pretty good with little if any adjustment needed. As I said all are good enough for matches and won't slow you down.

Glad to help when I can. (y)

If you are running your scope on higher power settings try turning it down for a better FOV. That simple act fixes a lot of not being able to find your target.

If your wanting a S3 you need to look at MK machining today.

That was the best price I have seen yet, even better then in the PX. I have one 636 on order. I almost went with the 425, but the price difference was small, and I don't think I would ever use the 4x, but the 36x would be at least useful for spotting hits on paper at range. Thank you!

@Rob01 I have the S3 LRP 636 on order ($1875) from your recommendations. It was a hard sell for me vs the Burris XTR Pro and the XTR III (for the money), I really like the features available on both of those optics, but it sounded like the S3 was superior optically in almost every way except maybe a small disadvantage in FoV. Thanks for your help again Rob!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob01
You’ll like it when it comes in and if you don’t I’ll trade you a Burris Pro for it. 😉😁

Reactions: Litzner
The Zeiss S3 from that group. I had a Pro, Gen 3 Razor and the S3 and the only one I still own is the S3. I shoot TT on my PRS centerfire and PRS 22 rifles but I feel I could easily swap to the S3 on my Vudoo and be happy.

I hate money so I have a ZCO 4-20 on my vudoo. It’s far better than the razor HD 2 I had before, but does it make a difference to my shooting? Probably not.

I hate money so I have a ZCO 4-20 on my vudoo. It’s far better than the razor HD 2 I had before, but does it make a difference to my shooting? Probably not.
I concur, but if I am going to have Kenny over at DPG spin me up a barrel I can’t just put a EP5 on top of it. 😅

Reactions: Crowlander
I've got a Maven RS.4 and its really impressive for the price 👌 glass quality is superb and parralax, albeit a little stiff comes down to 15yds so is ideal.

Then you can use the left over $$$ to get the Vision foreend of the KRG 👌

For PRS your really need to start with the reticle.. all the scopes mention are more than good enough. Yourbrain will probably gravitate to a preference and that will help you pick up time on the clock..Every little bit counts.. I personally like the Scr2..So I went with the XTR Pro.. The S3 is nice and not a thing wrong with it but for me the reticle was just faster to use in the Pro. The Gen 3, there wasnt enough difference in the hashes for me to run that quickly either..The reticle is personal preference and I would start there and work my way back since most of the scopes are pretty close otherwise.