• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Scope for the TRG 42 ?

700plm

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2010
SF, CA
Which scope did you / would you choose for the TRG 42 .338LM?
(for shooting beyond 1000yards for course)

Re: Which Scope for the TRG 42 ?

I....would pick a USO 5-25x58 TPAL. I...have used 4-14 Leup. Mark 4 and USO 3.2-17 on that gun and those scopes are fine, but money considerations if they exist might dictate. Lots of great scopes out there for out to one mile. Seems like a lot of Schmidt and Bender scopes and Premier have gone on the auction block lately here and I would think they would work awesome. Good that you have such a problem. Good luck.

Agree with Olin, just check out the Optics and Accesories boards and you will find some great deals on USOs, Premiers, Schmidt and Benders, and many others that will fit the bill for you at 17x and higher with sufficient elevation and windage adjustment. Choice of reticle is equally important for long range shooting. A few choices, there are others as well, are the Premier Gen II reticle and Premier Gen II XR (lines a little fine), the EBR-2 MRAD reticle, and some of the Horus reticles as well, especially the H37 or perhaps the new H58 or a Zeiss Rapid-Z 1200 reticle. regards, Dale.

i have a nightforce 5.5x22 on my 700p and it works great on it . s&b and uso definately good choices as well

I think the first thing to consider when making a major purpose is to spend enough so that the item you buy will be able to accomplish the task you are asking it to do. Just because you spend the most doesn't always mean you get the best product. I have never been rich enough to purchase cheap items. I currently own several top of the line scopes. (S&B, US Optics, March & Nightforce) For shooting from 100 yards on out to 1800 yards I would purchase a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 with an NP-R1 reticle. There are other options such as ZeroStop & High Speed turrets if you so choose. I believe this scope will serve you well in all your shooting disciplines. On top of that it is priced well below the others.
My .02.
Semper Fi

I'd go sublime, obviously European glass so my choice would be;

1. S&B 5-25x56 P4 or P4 Fine (Huge elevation is always a good thing!)
2. PR 5-25x56
3. Hensoldt/Zeiss 6-24x72

Rest just ain't glass enough for your rifle and distances
wink.gif

I use a nightforce 5.5-22x56 with NP-R1 reticle with the zero stop on the TRG 42. I think it is worth the extra for the zero stop feature.

I am mounting a SFP IOR 3-18X42MM on my TRG-22. Great glass without the issues the FFP scope had...

Another vote for the Nightforce here

I have an SN-3 3.8-22 on my TRG-42/338LM. Awesome combo out to 1000yds. I have not regretted either purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 700PLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which scope did you / would you choose for the TRG 42 .338LM?
(for shooting beyond 1000yards for course) </div></div>

I put a SB PMII 5-25 P-4 on mine. I figured that the rifle deserved that scope and I was already bending over.

Chris

S&B 5-25x56 P4 Fine. Absolutely crystal clear, and importantly amazing resolution.

Nightforce 5.5x22x56 NP1 was what showed up on the rifle after loaned to friend to shoot in Casper Wy, since get to keep the scope figured was that decided it (was change in a five year on going trade, including NFA items).

Had been running a Leupold 4.5x14 until last month and watching for a used USO, but only the ones more for a 308 kept showing up.
All previous scopes have been mil based, so new learning curve (have to think more in the short term).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 700PLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which scope did you / would you choose for the TRG 42 .338LM?

SBPMII-1.jpg

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 700PLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which scope did you / would you choose for the TRG 42 .338LM?

SBPMII-1.jpg

Chris </div></div>

Nice, never a bad choice ;-)

What base would you put on the 338lm with either the NF 5/22 or the S&B scopes to shoot 1000 to 1500 yards? I just got a TRG42 338 and have to set up the optics on it. Any advice apprecicated. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Liberty Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What base would you put on the 338lm with either the NF 5/22 or the S&B scopes to shoot 1000 to 1500 yards? I just got a TRG42 338 and have to set up the optics on it. Any advice apprecicated. Thanks.</div></div>

The three ring Sako tactical rings and base has 30 MOA of off set built in and worked well out to a mile in Wy this spring, with NF 5x22. However, the Near setup looks interesting also and one does not appear to have the pesky plastic scope ring inserts with 30mm tubes.

Thread on TRG42 Scope Rings and Base

I would choose a 5.5-22x50 NightForce NXS, on a 40MOA base.

That's what I'm saving up to put on my 338 Edge build... until then it's a 16x SuperSniper on a 40MOA base.

I am a big fan of the 5.5-22 Nightforce! Best for the price, imo!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redbastrd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another vote for the Nightforce here </div></div>
I'd get the NightForce 8-32X56 NXS or the 10-42X56 NXS with the NP-R1 reticle.

After seeing so many scopes broke on top of TRG42, I wouldn't recommend any "cheap" solution. Go with Zeiss/Hensoldt/NF/S&B/USO/etc. and dont look back.

I have the NF 5.5-22x56 NP-R1 MOA knobs w/ZeroStop on my TRG-42. It's mounted via a Near 20-moa rail and Near Alpha Mount. Perfect setup for me.