• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which scope rings?

Bouldar

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2022
Georgia
I am thinking of the ARC M-brace or the Vortex PMR/seekins rings or Hawkins with the level.

I like the idea of the M-brace but with so many of the “better” rings, there are multiple screws rather that the 1 M-brace uses.

What do you think is the better option of these? Thoughts on the level included in the Hawkins?
Any others I should consider?

I’ve been transitioning all my optics over to ARC M10/MBRACE, away from the Vortex PMR rings. Not having to account for scope rotation when tightening the final screws, plus high enough torque values that I can just carry one torque wrench for the whole gun (a Presta Cycle 6 Nm t-handle wrench) just makes the whole setup so much easier than it used to be.

The Wheeler FAT wrench stays at home, and I get the scope locked in with one try now, no dancing back and forth with the multiple screws to keep the scope from canting as it’s tightened. Highly recommend.

ETA: I use the rings, not the one-piece mount. They're cheaper and lighter.

Last edited:
ARC...well, I use their rings and not their one piece but like KnowNothing256, I deeply appreciate not having the scope twist in the rings when tightening...every...fucking...time. haha

As for one screw vs many...does it matter? The ARC torque spec reflects their use of one large screw vs many smaller ones and I have not experienced any movement whatsoever in my scope in these rings.

ARC...well, I use their rings and not their one piece but like KnowNothing256, I deeply appreciate not having the scope twist in the rings when tightening...every...fucking...time. haha

As for one screw vs many...does it matter? The ARC torque spec reflects their use of one large screw vs many smaller ones and I have not experienced any movement whatsoever in my scope in these rings.
I love the idea of it not turning. I feel the same as you. I think I may go that way

Reactions: Baron23
I have read threads that say wait but that sucks, lol. I will be building my gun but just started the 40 week lead time for the defiance action.
It will be a defiance ruckus with 20 moa integral rail. Proof carbon fiber sendero barrel in 300 win mag. 30 mm tube and 50 mm objective scope. Any ideas what height? Low, medium? Saw one that said anything over .885.
I would love to have all the pieces at once.

Last edited:
I have read threads that say wait but that sucks, lol. I will be building my gun but just started the 40 week lead time for the defiance action.
It will be a defiance ruckus with 20 moa integral rail. Proof carbon fiber sendero barrel in 300 win mag. Any ideas what height? Low, medium? Saw one that said anything over .885.
I can’t answer your question, but those who can will need to know the main tube and objective lens diameters on your scope.

Sorry. Will fix that. Thanks
I recently got a BA from Altus with a Defiance Deviant (20 MOA base), MTU barrel, and a ZCO 5-27 x 56.

I did Ted's penny thingy (look at his site, go to rings and click on it, scroll down and you will see Ted's explanation for determining ring height).

Now, these are rings and I don't want my scope hovering at 50k feet over my action like some UFO haha....one of the reasons I'm not too personally keen on one piece mounts on bolt guns...but I seem to be in the minority.

With that scope and base, I ordered Ted's medium (1.1") rings. Lowest M-brace is 1.26"

Hopefully this will be a bit helpful in determining what height you need for your rig

ABFE751E-34D6-402E-A6CC-0B8FB9C25D7A.png

I recently got a BA from Altus with a Defiance Deviant (20 MOA base), MTU barrel, and a ZCO 5-27 x 56.

I did Ted's penny thingy (look at his site, go to rings and click on it, scroll down and you will see Ted's explanation for determining ring height).

Now, these are rings and I don't want my scope hovering at 50k feet over my action like some UFO haha....one of the reasons I'm not too personally keen on one piece mounts on bolt guns...but I seem to be in the minority.

With that scope and base, I ordered Ted's medium (1.1") rings. Lowest M-brace is 1.26"

Hopefully this will be a bit helpful in determining what height you need for your rig
I will look into it. I am with you, don’t want my scope looking like a suitcase handle.
ARC does have a .94 ring. The picture is from area 419 website.

I will look into it. I am with you, don’t want my scope looking like a suitcase handle.
ARC does have a .94 ring. The picture is from area 419 website.
Yes, they have lower rings....I misunderstood and thought you wanted the one piece mount. I think Ted made a mistake by calling them "M-brace rings" and "M-brace mount". I rather think they should have diff nomenclature.

I have a Viper PST 3-15 x 44 with 30mm tube in a set of Leupold mediums (their mediums are actually their lowest ring...I have zero idea why) which are .84 which are the lowest rings I could find.

Dunno if this is helpful to you at all....but maybe a basis of comparison.

Best thing is to wait until you have your scope and be sure...but I do understand wanting to move forward..I have no patience either! hahaha

Yes, they have lower rings....I misunderstood and thought you wanted the one piece mount. I think Ted made a mistake by calling them "M-brace rings" and "M-brace mount". I rather think they should have diff nomenclature.

I have a Viper PST 3-15 x 44 with 30mm tube in a set of Leupold mediums (their mediums are actually their lowest ring...I have zero idea why) which are .84 which are the lowest rings I could find.

Dunno if this is helpful to you at all....but maybe a basis of comparison.

Best thing is to wait until you have your scope and be sure...but I do understand wanting to move forward..I have no patience either! hahaha
Absolutely. Thanks. This 39 weeks left before they start on the action is going to be rough. I have ordered everything except the rings and scope. I missed a good deal on a nightforce nxs but I didn’t want to spend the money since I just spent so much.

I didn’t want to spend the money since I just spent so much.
haha...been there, done that....holy shit, I'm there again! LOL This sport can be very bad for retirement and savings accounts.

What kind of action is still 39 weeks out? Are they gnawing it out of steel with their teeth??

So again, I personally would (and just did with the Defiance and ZCO scope) wait until I have the barreled action in a stock/chassis and then look to buy rings once you are sure you know what you need. And, since its still 39 weeks out...maybe plus another 8 wks to spin the chamber (or do you have an action suitable for prefit and have that barrel in hand already?), I'd also save and wait to buy the scope. Once you have the basic gun and scope, when you buy rings you will be able to do so in certain knowledge of what you need and want.

Just my thoughts on it which don't mean much at all :cool:

haha...been there, done that....holy shit, I'm there again! LOL This sport can be very bad for retirement and savings accounts.

What kind of action is still 39 weeks out? Are they gnawing it out of steel with their teeth??

So again, I personally would (and just did with the Defiance and ZCO scope) wait until I have the barreled action in a stock/chassis and then look to buy rings once you are sure you know what you need. And, since its still 39 weeks out...maybe plus another 8 wks to spin the chamber (or do you have an action suitable for prefit and have that barrel in hand already?), I'd also save and wait to buy the scope. Once you have the basic gun and scope, when you buy rings you will be able to do so in certain knowledge of what you need and want.

Defiance ruckus GA hunter. Ordered a week ago. It was a 40 week lead time. It sucks but I knew if I got something else because of that, I would not be satisfied.
What I think I want is a nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 MOA. I am trying to find a good used one since I have time to spare. I am not familiar with ZCO. Most of this is new to me. I shot over 100 yards for the 1st time this year. I am 41 and have hunted all my life.

Defiance actions direct are in the 40-50 week out range. My BIL just ordered a tenancy on Monday, 50 weeks out.

Zero Compromise Optics is one of the top-tier scope manufacturers, roughly $2k more per scope than the NXS you’re looking for. I honestly wouldn’t buy a ZCO in your shoes, unless you really just want to buy the best of what’s out there. If that’s the case, then you have a lot of research of you, and you’ll want to check out various offerings from Tangent Theta, Schmidt & Bender, and maybe some of the best March scopes.

But like I said, I think if you’re new to the long-range game, there are plenty of great optics for thousands less that will serve you well as you get into it.

Reactions: Bouldar
I run Seekins on pretty much every bolt-action I have. There's still a few oddballs, but mostly all are running Seekins Precision.

ARC is all I'll buy anymore. The NXS is a good scope but I'd get the Burris XTRIII from cameraland right now. The SCRII is a decent reticle for hunting and the FOV is good.

Last edited:
Defiance ruckus GA hunter. Ordered a week ago. It was a 40 week lead time. It sucks but I knew if I got something else because of that, I would not be satisfied.
What I think I want is a nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 MOA. I am trying to find a good used one since I have time to spare. I am not familiar with ZCO. Most of this is new to me. I shot over 100 yards for the 1st time this year. I am 41 and have hunted all my life.
I stand corrected about lead times. Wow, I guess I was fortunate in this last BA that Altus had the exact action I wanted and I had the barrel blank.

Not to mind anyone else’s money, I agree that ZCO is prob biting off a good more $$ than you need to right now. As mentioned, there are a lot of really good 3-15 scopes for a lot less.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Reactions: Bouldar
It will be a defiance ruckus with 20 moa integral rail. Proof carbon fiber sendero barrel in 300 win mag. 30 mm tube and 50 mm objective scope. Any ideas what height? Low, medium? Saw one that said anything over .885.
Have you tried the J&A outdoors preorder on the action? They ship late July.

No. I have already placed my order with Defiance. Everywhere I saw was backordered so I figured it would be the same time. I haven’t seen it in black nitride and I wanted that too.
Might want to talk to some of those outfits as they generally have standing or just long standing orders that they receive w regularity and may well get one to you far faster than Defiance.

And many routinely send them out to be nitrided. That’s how I got my action purchased from Altus.

Reactions: KnowNothing256