• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes which scope ????????

Eagle_Eye

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
Victoria, Australia
OK....

I got the gun (.300 win mag in tikka tac)

now... the tricky bit.

What scope is going to give me the best bang for my buck?

Most of the shooting will be done between 300-600 yards but i would like the capability to shoot 1000 yards, which was the driving force for purchasing this setup.

Leupold?
Night Force?

Or another manufacturer that i should consider?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Re: which scope ????????

if you are wanting bang for your buck in that range i would go for a super sniper i love mine its cheap and reliable but the glass will never compare to USO, S&B, or NF i believe the bushnell 3200 i have on my 308 even has better glass but not much better.. your question could have many variables... price, fixed or variable power, ego, etc... just my $.02

Kahles, Schmidt & Bender, Bushnell 6500. basic rule...If the scope costs less than the rifle you probably wont be happy.

$800 rifle, $2200 scope, 1/2 MOA (Tikka 595, Schmidt & Bender 4-16)
308tikka.jpg

Im in the same boat...so many good scopes and so hard to make a decision...

Especially when your talking $1500+. I'm currently using a Millett LRS-1 which has been a good scope but my eyes suck out at 600-900yds and the LRS-1 doesnt have that great of clarity over 18-20 power so im looking at the NF NXS 8-32x56 and the IOR 9-36x56. I want something nice and clear when power is turned up to 20-25x.

I have searched long and hard here and elsewhere and its really hard to decide when most peoples input are subjective and based off opinions.

The IOR is nice in that it has the 35mm tube but the NF's have better reliability. The 35mm IORs are supposed to be alot better now though. I would call the CS between those 2 a wash especially if you deal with Scott @ Liberty on the IORs.

Some agree the glass is better on the IOR then the NF but with the strong following of owners and reputation for being tough im leaning toward the NXS.

If you have $2-3k+ to spend you probably already know what your going to buy aka none of the above! I cant spend over $1800-2k so the USO/S&Bs are out.

If you are looking under 1k then the Bushnells, Millett (now owned by bushnell) Super Snipers and Falcons are great pieces and probably cant go wrong with any of them.

It really depends on how much money you want to spend. Spend the money now and be happy rather than save now and spend the money again later and be pissed off.

I have bought three used S&B 4-16s, all in 98% out perfect in. Most I paid was $1600.

sb4-16x50ph.jpg

Money seems to always be the factor when buying high end optics. I was in the same boat but nutted up and spent $2600 on a 5x25 pmII S&B. I've never looked back and regreted it.

I am in a similar situation; compiling data on several different scopes. I have found that doing a simple trade study helps narrow the field and in some cases; actually point to the answer. For my scope, I am looking at several factors, weighing each as to importance, scoring each factor for each of the scopes, then adding up the scores. The better scope will have the highest value.
The factors that I am scoring are:
1. Image clarity – Brightness, Magnification, and Objective Size, To distinguish your target is extremely important.
2. Parallax Error – (not a factor for either of these scopes since both have adjustable parallax)
3. First Focal Plane vs. Second Focal Plane – How the image changes when you change magnification. Fixed magnification is FFP.
4. Elevation Adjustment Methods – Knob, Reticle or a combination of both. Both of these have knob adjustments. Not sure if Nikon also has reticle adjustment.
5. Elevation Travel – Will the scope cover the full range of my rifle?
6. Elevation Travel per Click – Target size I can engage vs. speed at which I can make changes.
7. Reticle Features - MilDot, Horus Vision etc.
8. Windage Adjustment Travel - How much wind can I adjust for the given bullet I am using.
9. Windage Travel per Click - Same as elevation
10. Zero-stop
11. Bullet Drop Compensator
Hope this helps in the decision process.
Semper Fidelis

Thought I should add that I am looking at scopes for the same usage as you.
The four I am considering are:

Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1
U.S. Optics SN3-1750 3.2-17 x 44 T-Pal
IOR 3-18x42 FFP Sniper's Hide Edition
Premier Heritage 3-15 x 50

All are good scopes with similar features and a range in prices from $1450 to $3000.
Have fun picking one!
Semper Fidelis,
Max

ok.....
i should have specified a little more

i was looking at spending $1600 aus dollars on a Leupold but i didnt believe it would have sufficient magnification for what i wanted to do with it.

I will spend more (up to 2k aus.) if it can be justified. Im really looking at the NXS range, heard good and bad about them.

Dont know enough about the other makes but if someone could elaborate on what makes them so good, that would be great.

You can't go wrong with NXS. Hell of good scope.
The IOR Sniper's Hide Edition fits your price range as well. Somewhere around $1450. Compare the two. Biggest difference is the first focal plane vs. second focal plane. The Nightforce F1 is 1st focal plane but runs somewhere around $2200

I like my nightforce. But you can get by with a Leupold.

New Sightron SIII 6-24X50 LR MD 100 moa total adjustment, Ultra clear glass, positive audible 1/4 clicks, rock solid tracking, very nice large target turrets. Better scope than the Leupold MK4 scopes for hundreds less. The run about $800 or little less. They are hard to get because they stay sold out. Liberty Optics is taking back orders on them. You maybe able to find one with a web search. They are a deal.

GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxgusmc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't go wrong with NXS. Hell of good scope.
The IOR Sniper's Hide Edition fits your price range as well. Somewhere around $1450. Compare the two. Biggest difference is the first focal plane vs. second focal plane. The Nightforce F1 is 1st focal plane but runs somewhere around $2200</div></div>

They came out with a Sniper's Hide edition?

Hmm, where can i find out more/purchase one???

Who is the cheapest online supplier of Nightforce????

Someone who can ship Overseas preferably.

8-32 x 56 or 12-42 x 56 is what im starting ti lean towards

My local gun shop tells me they are alot heavier then the leupolds though is this correct?

other option is still looking like mark 4 in 8.5 - 25

The other brands mentioned on this thread seem to look the goods but don't have factory backing here in aus so i am going to rule them out.

I'd go with either a NF NXS 5-22x or the IOR 3-18x42 Snipers Hide Ed. Forget Leupold.

Since you are in Australia, don't miss Seeadler, an excellent German scope imported to the UK, AUS and NZ. I have a 6-24x50 that is fully as good as my 6.5-20 Monarch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmachine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go with either a NF NXS 5-22x or the IOR 3-18x42 Snipers Hide Ed. Forget Leupold.</div></div>

why do u suggest the 5-22x, is this enough magnification for 1000 yards??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stealth5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since we are on the topice can anyone tell me if the NF 8-32x56 NXS is first focal plane or second focal plane?
</div></div>

SFP

Help us out here is this for shooting targets? I have to assume so because the ranges shown are too far for humane game shooting (exempting varmints).

Do you need to find target range using this scope or will you be shooting known distance targets or use a LRF? With a $1,500 budget here in the U.S.A. you are on the threshold of the better scopes. Realize that you will also need base and rings that are capable of allowing the scope to do its job and this means you need to budget maybe $200-$250 for a solid base and ring system to keep the scope shiny side up on that .300 Win Mag. So realistically you have a $1,000-$1,200 scope budget unless you already have an outstanding base and rings in the right size which would seem unlikely. You may want to budget more money ($300-$400) for this project of you may end up significantly compromised in terms of sighting system effectiveness and/or reliability.

When I say better scopes I mean a scope that has the best characteristics and design features including image quality (glass), repeatability (mechanical design/material quality), durability (material/mechanical execution), features (knob style, light gathering, eye relief etc.). Being limited to $1,200 means you will likely be looking at used scopes in order to get the best mechanical reliability out of your scope choices. IMO you should consider NightForce and Leupold for their very good mechanical records. Sure there are some very attractive lower price scopes but if you mount them using a very solid base/ring system that.300 Win Mag's shock load will be transmitted directly to the scope. Most of the lower priced (and even some moderately high priced) scopes are all pretty much going to be trying to fall apart under this shock stress.

Do some research here on the hide using the advanced search functions and you will find a boat load of experience with just about any scope you can imagine reported by folks from the field. There are a LOT of really attractive scopes out there with great features and prices that would work very long and well on say .22LR, 5.56 NATO, .243 up to .308 Win but may have issues with the .300 Win Mag recoil impact. Hope this helps!

Sir
My$.02 I shoot a Supersniper 20x ($350) out to 1000 and it works fine for the money can not be beat. I just bought a Sightron SIII 8-32 ($760) so I would have some magnification to work with when there is mirage. Just got back from the range and I have to tell you it is a smokin' hot scope. You will not go wrong with either. Best approach is to decide what you want to shoot (discipline, range etc) and then get scope that matches.