• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which scope?

bnoland

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2006
Memphis, TN
I am getting a Remington 700 PSS in .308 16 inch with a threaded barrel if all goes as planned. If this deal falls though I still plan to get a rifle which will be used in the same way but may be a diffrent setup. I will likely only be using it to shoot targets at 300-500 yards. If I decide to try my hand at deer hunting I will use it for that as well. I am not sure what scope would be best. I am thinking a fixed power would be good. I also want one with a MOA reticle. Since I do not plan to go much past 500 yards I am thinking a 4x/6x fixed would do what I need. Side focus would be nice but not a deal breaker. I plan to spend around $500 on the scope. Any recommendations?

Re: Which scope?

Any thoughts on the Leupold Mark 4 MR/T Scope 59100? It seems like it would fit pretty close aside from it no being fixed.

The Leupold Mark 4 is a great scope that can work for you. However, you might want to consider something with a little more high end magnification. 5x magnification is not a lot when comes to a 400-500 yard shot on a deer. Something in the 9x range should give you more confidence at that range. Have you seen the new Leupold VX-6? These will have magnification in a 6:1 zoom ratio. I was able to get my hands on one a few weeks ago and was highly impressed. Scopes in a 6:1 zoom ratio tend to be bulky and heavy. The 2-12x42 I handled weighed in at just under 17oz.

Chase B.

Side focus on a 4X scope hahahaha....

Super Sniper 3-9 FFP (500$ on samplelist.com) or a weaver 3.5-15 FFP (769$ at midwayusa.com). Both are made in Japan, super sniper has lots of good reviews and weaver is getting decent writeups too...

700 could probably get you a used leupold M3 if you want to go that route. I would not get the 2.5-8.

vortex PST MOA versions look like they are in stock at midwayusa take a look at those too....

Thanks for the recommendations. I have been leaning towards the super sniper scope the last couple of days as I have seen reviews on them. They seem very nice for the price range. Thanks for the link to Samplelist.com page.. Looks like a lot of good deals. Glad you got a laugh with the 4x with side focus.. I guess that's not done or at least common.