• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which seater die seats bullets the straightest?

colt933

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
Tennessee
Who's design seems to seat bullets the straightest - in bottleneck rifle cases?

Thanks!

Re: Which seater die seats bullets the straightest?

wilson LE hand die

Yep Wilson
5 shot test group with the same exact components and seating depth have shown me that the Wilson die with an arbor press is better vs my forester co-ax with lee or redding dies.
T

I haven't used Wilson's (though I should on account of 'em being local to me) but I've had pretty decent results with Redding Comps.

For a normal press with 7/8-14 threads, the Redding Competition seater for the Forester Benchrest seater.

Although the new Hornady seaters seem to get lots of good press

Which ever one I'm using, it really makes no difference, right now I'm using Wilson inline seater with a arbor press, but the Forster and Redding do the exact thing with the same results, run out must not be induced from firing, sizing and seating, figuring out where in your reloading technique run out is coming from will help big time, but sadly if your cases are non concentric after firing no die in the world will produce straight ammo, neck turning(which most here say is not worth it) will reduce run out more than anything else IMHO, non bushing dies that are reamed to your specs giving you your desired NT is a better choice than bushing die that the bushing float in, culling shitty brass with large variations of neck thickness will help too, how and where you measure run out must be accurate and repeatable.

I suggest you buy the book Handloading for Competition by Zediker

I'lls econd that suggestion to get Zediker's book. His writing style is PAINFUL to read, but he is very knowledgeable.

For a much easier writing style, and even BETTER technical knowledge, get Tony Boyer's book. Tony is by far the most knowledgeable author I have found on reloading, and that's even though he is a BENCHREST shooter! (National Chmapion). His work is so good and so generally appicable, that the book is worth getting even if you have no intention of ever shooting benchrest.

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I suggest you buy the book Handloading for Competition by Zediker
</div></div>
Or become good friends with someone who already has a copy
wink.gif

i use both the le wilsom and the forster benchrest dies sorting ammo into groups of .002 and below and .003 and above im getting around 70 percent in the .002 and under group with both dies. sorting case necks for concentricity before seating bullets gets me near 100 percent .002 and below. i also turn my necks

i like the wilson for my ar because i bought an extra seater plug for it and have 1 set to load my 69s and 1 set to load my 80s without playing with the dies

also been experimenting with lee collet neck dies in my 220 swift and have found the necks to be very true

the best seater in the world cant help ya if ur necks arent straight

also a good concentricity gauge helps and ive been playing with a tru angle tool for awhile

Wilson is very good but I don't see a measurement improvement over my Redding Comp Seater.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the best seater in the world cant help ya if ur necks arent straight </div></div>

big +1

With respect to concentricity I wanted to throw something out: it's a good idea to clean your seating die either before every reloading session or at the end of every reloading session. The tiniest piece of copper jacket lodged up in the seating cup WILL cause run out. I'd rather not discuss how I came to know this. ha

I tried German Salazar's trick of using an "O" ring between the lock ring and the press on both the sizing and seating dies. On my Dillon now, the runout is consistently between .000 to .001. Love it!

Lee collet neck sizer ( polished up first) if in the Cal you are shooting, plus o-rings around dies and steel wool on brush using drill to clean necks, with Redding comp seat die. Will reduce run out if you, if you are not heading down neck turing direction, even works well if you neck turn.

Agree with Unsichtbar. Do the steel wool/brush trick AFTER you chamfer the mouths of the cases. Will burnish the ridges off. Also, a little Lock Ease inside the case necks applied with a Q-Tip will even out the seating forces.

I had so much to say on this topic, but everyone already said it:(
I am stuck with the role of being a spoiler.

If I take an ordinary RBCS seater die and seat the bullet in 3 stages while rotating the case 120 degrees and then again, I will get ammo that is not as straight as the sliding sleeve 7/8-14 seaters or the Wilson, but I will get ammo that is so straight that although I can measure the difference in run out with a concentricity gauge, I can't measure the difference at the range in group size.

I still payed extra for the Sliding seater dies, per this expired patent
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3440923.pdf

I have paid extra for 223, 6mmBR, 243, 257RAI, 260, 270, 7mmRM, 308, 300WM, 7.62x54R, 8x57, and others.

Why pay extra?
Vanity, obsession, fear, etc.