• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Short Action Customs Vice Bushing for a TRG42 300WM

GBMaryland

Herr Oberst
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2008
    Maryland, US
    So here’s a question for you:

I have a short action customs barrel vice. I’m thinking of trying to get the barrel off my TRG 42A1 by myself. (300wm)

However, I’m not really sure which bushing I should use for the modular barrel vice.

Does anybody have a clue as to which set I would use, or do I actually need to call them up and have a make me one?

SAC has indicated that they get barrels off without the need to do a relief cut, and I would like to save this barrel because it’s basically new.

Do you not own calipers or get how physics work?

I ask because this is pretty simple.

The fact you bought either SAC vice and not the bushings speaks for itself…..

Take it to a smith.
    This is one of those things, if you arent mechanically inclined enough to sort it out yourself, you are in over your head.

SAC told me to use the 1.130” bushing for my TRG-22. Are the profiles any different on the magnums?

The answer is the diameter of the barrel at the point you are going to clamp it.

The TRG barrels are sometimes really hard to get off. Might not be a good place to start if you haven’t done it before.

Reactions: GBMaryland
    Do you not own calipers or get how physics work?

I ask because this is pretty simple.

The fact you bought either SAC vice and not the bushings speaks for itself…..

Take it to a smith.
    This is one of those things, if you arent mechanically inclined enough to sort it out yourself, you are in over your head.
    You’re making a lot of assumptions there.

The other possibility is, I have every conceivable thing that I need but I also figured I would ask.

…and there is also the possibility that SAC needs to make a custom bushing for a metric shank , as opposed to whatever came in the kit.

• Haha
    Reactions: powdahound76
    SAC told me to use the 1.130” bushing for my TRG-22. Are the profiles any different on the magnums?
    I’ll check the diameter and see if that aligns with the magnums.

The TRG barrels are sometimes really hard to get off. Might not be a good place to start if you haven’t done it before.

yeah, I typically I’ve gotten them off in the past using a relief cut…. However, SAC does indicate they have pretty good abilities to get the barrels off… I’m not sure if they’re using heat to do it.

You’re making a lot of assumptions there.

The other possibility is, I have every conceivable thing that I need but I also figured I would ask.

…and there is also the possibility that SAC needs to make a custom bushing for a metric shank , as opposed to whatever came in the kit.

Hahahahaha

Go drive yer Tesla stud.