• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which short action magnum?

Usaf197

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2020
Looking at ordering a prefit in the near future. I have a solus action that I shoot 6 and 6.5 creedmoor and 308 from.

Recently picked up a .540 bolt face for it and want some input on what magnum would serve me best.

I have access to steel out to about 1700 and I’m located in the PNW, hunting elk/deer.

Not completely opposed to single feeding but mags are cool to use and would mag feed for hunting.

I hand load for all cartridges and will for whichever new round I end up deciding.

Ideally in the next year I’ll be ordering a CDG long action and will be running a 300 prc as well.

Last edited:
I’m a big fan of the 7 saum but I Do prefer it throated long so it really shines in a med or long action. My next mag will be a 25 in a saum or prc case

6.5 PRC is an amazing cartridge with very accurate factory ammo. It’s tough to beat. I don’t think I’d personally chase well with it. It’ll get the job done, there’s no doubt about it. I also own a 300wsm. I load for both of the cartridges and both aren’t to hard to loud for. I was amazed at how easy it was to load for my 300wsm. I shoot 185 bergers out of mine at 2900fps in a 20” barrel. Super handy rifle and will do a great job on an elk. If you’re really wanting to stretch it you’ll need to bump up to something like the 215 Berger to maximize the range of that cartridge. I would single feed if you went with a 215. The 147 eldm has done a great job for me as well and is a very efficient bullet. You can stuff a magazine full of loaded 147’s without the hassle of single feed.

With you already having a 6.5cm I'd go with a 7saum if you reload or 300wsm if you want more factory options. The prc isn't that much of a jump over the CM.

If you’re getting a long action CDG in the future then 6.5 prc seems to make the most sense for your short action

In the future you can buy all of the barrels throated long to really maximize their potential

I try to make objective based decisions, and really define the purpose. You mention steel out to 1700 and hunting elk/deer in the PNW.

Two very different objectives.

6.5 PRC, 7 SAUM and 300 SAUM/WSM are good options, but the rifle configuration will determine how much you like the rifle.

An 8lb WSM will be great to pack in the woods and put the hurt on elk, but would be a pain to shoot on steel all day. Sure a few rounds, walking out to distance is doable, but it won't be pleasant all day.

If your goal is to shoot more steel, and occasionally hunt, then you could build something around 10lbs and shoot the 6.5 or 7mm. Mild mannered on the range but manageable in the field.

300 WSM - 2 loads, 1 mag length for hunting / steel <1K, and one seated long and single fed for steel beyond 1K. Agree with the caveat above though - if she's lightweight, just focus on your preferred hunting projectile and wait for your long action to build the long range hammer.

300 WSM, 215 Bergers, medium action, 26” carbon fiber barrel

I try to make objective based decisions, and really define the purpose. You mention steel out to 1700 and hunting elk/deer in the PNW.

Two very different objectives.

6.5 PRC, 7 SAUM and 300 SAUM/WSM are good options, but the rifle configuration will determine how much you like the rifle.

An 8lb WSM will be great to pack in the woods and put the hurt on elk, but would be a pain to shoot on steel all day. Sure a few rounds, walking out to distance is doable, but it won't be pleasant all day.

If your goal is to shoot more steel, and occasionally hunt, then you could build something around 10lbs and shoot the 6.5 or 7mm. Mild mannered on the range but manageable in the field.
^This^

I've got both a semi auto 6.5 PRC and 300 WSM. The PRC with 147gr ELDMs is very very smooth to shoot, I could easily shoot it all day without it beating me up. The 300 WSM with 190gr Bergers is a bit harder on the shoulder, but it's an elk killer. Since I do a lot of hunting, I'm shooting my WSM a lot more than the PRC, I like to keep practicing with the rifle I'm taking in the field. But if I was mostly putting rounds on steel and paper, the PRC is very mild with the recoil, and can spot hits easier too.