• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Should I Choose- Barrett MRAD or AI AX .338

sgtsmmiii

Lieutenant
Minuteman
  • Sep 2, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I have the opportunity to buy a slightly used .338 Lapua in either the Barrett MRAD or AI AX platform. My question is, which platform can I expect the better accuracy at longer ranges ( blush, OK it's prairie dogs in the 1000 to 2000 yard range :) ). Are they comparable, or is one significantly better than the other? Any thoughtful insight is appreciated. Thanks.

That's a tough one. Personally, I think Barrett rifles are overpriced for what you get, but now that the conversions are finally available for the MRAD, it does have an added level of versatility over a straight-up AX. However, if you only intend to shoot one cartridge in your rifle, then you don't need that versatility, so I would default to the AX. That's basically how I would decide between the two if cost is the same.

I own a Barrett. It's the M98, the previous version prior to the MRAD. No folding stock, no caliber change options. Chambered in .338 Lapua.

Go ahead and purchase the AX338, send it to me, I will gladly send you my Barrett, and $2K cash!