• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which shoulder bump/headspace gauges (other than SAC) index off the entire shoulder rather than a datum line?

secondofangle2

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 3, 2017
    As the (long) title says. SAC has a shoulder machined into their comparators, as opposed to the Hornady I have which just uses a datum line/point on a particular point on the shoulder (e.g., for 308, datum line is where the shoulder diameter is 0.4", I just learned). What other options are there for this way of doing it like SAC does? Whidden? RCBS precision mic? LE Wilson? Redding?

Another question is, is this the best way to do it, the way SAC does? I have the intuition that it is a superior method, but no way to know or even support this intuition.

Sinclair inserts have a shoulder. It is a comparator and does not give SAAMI numbers. On a 1.630" GO gauge, my Sinclair 308 Win. insert measures @ 1.561".

If you are looking for a SAAMI number, the RCBS precision mic and Whidden gauge are zeroed @ 1.630".

what is the measurement off of the SAC 308 insert on a 1.630" GO gauge?