• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which spotting scope should I buy?

Oldmauser

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2018
I would like to buy a spotting scope which would be capable of identifying my shots at 600 m on a paper target 9 (not a steel target) during an f-class match. I have no experience with spotting scopes so far. Budget- below 1000$. What would be your recommendation?

I shoot a little bit of F-class and the spotting scope I bring to the line is a Kowa 82SV with the 27X LER eyepiece. I have used that scope for about 7 years now to read conditions, score, and call wind for teams. I do not know what a target 9 is in F-class, I'm only familiar with the standard NRA and ICFRA targets.

Since each shot is scored and marked with a spotter or appears on the screen with etargets, you do not need lots of magnification. The 27X of the Kowa is plenty. The rule is mid power spotters and high mag riflescopes.

The Kowa is about $800 for the body and $250 for the eyepiece. The 82SV is very popular in F-class circles, mainly for the long eye relief LER TE-17HD eyepiece. I have a couple more eyepieces for my Kowa.

Next up will be a stand or tripod. But that's another thread.

Last edited:
Thank you @Denys. Do you have angled or straight version? Which one do you recommend?

Thank you @Denys. Do you have angled or straight version? Which one do you recommend?
The 82SV only comes in an angled model, as far as I know. Even if it came in a straight model, you would not want that. Take the angled model, it's the only way to use it from position.

Do you have angled or straight version? Which one do you recommend?

All quality spotting scopes will have no problem seeing the white spotting disk at 600, and even 1k. The LER (long eye relief) with an angled scope allows you to stay in position on your rifle and simply look to the side and see through the spotting scope.
IMG_0205.jpg

Reactions: WY_Chas
Seeing holes at 600 yards on paper is a VERY difficult task for any spotter. The Kowa 82 is a nice unit, the Athlon Ares is a nice unit, we have a few used but like new spotters:
Meopta Meopro 20-60x80 HD Angled with case for only $1,099.99
Nikon Monarch Fieldscope 82ED-S with MEP-20-60 #16100 for only $1,099.99
Nikon Monarch Fieldscope 60ED-A with MEP-20-60 #16103 for only $999.99

Give a call, 516-217-1000, and let's discuss what would be best for you

Doug, with all due respect, zoom eyepieces are NOT long eye relief and the OP is not looking at being able to discern bullet holes at 600 yards. If he really is intending to use the spotting scope primarily for F-class, the Kowa 82SV with the LER eyepiece is the most suited for that task in his price range.

The neat thing about the 82sv is that you can change the eyepiece in 3 seconds. Also, the tripod mount is on a collar that goes around completely so it gives you maximum flexibilty in adjusting it when in position.

It's not the best glass in spotters, but it's way good enough for F-class purposes: reading conditions, scoring and so on. Then when you want to look at the Moon, or do digiscoping, you swap out the LER eyepiece and put in the 20-60X one and go to town.

Speaking of digiscoping, I got the accessory collar on mine, to which I attach the Kowa digiscoping adapter.

This is a very flexible unit.

Yeah, there's a reason angled Kowa scopes with LER are predominately seen on the line at F-class or other NRA Highpower events. Other types of shooting ( PRS, tactical, etc) Kowa's are not as popular. It comes down to the right tool for the application.

Reactions: Denys
For optimum use in F-class, you really need a scope to have these three things: Angled body, LER eyepiece, and rotating mounting band (unless using Ray-Vin universal mount).

For optimum use in F-class, you really need a scope to have these three things: Angled body, LER eyepiece, and rotating mounting band (unless using Ray-Vin universal mount).
any particular suggestions?

any particular suggestions?
The Kowa TSN series are all good. You don't need the Prominar ED glass for F-class. You won't really need the larger 88mm or 82mm lenses either. Even the 60 or 66mm will be fine. However, I believe the TSN-500 does not allow changing the eyepiece-Not sure though. The TSN-600 models do not have a rotating band mount. It's not a big issue, but the rotation allows better adjustment to meet your eye up close.

You could also consider a used Kowa. Birdwatching forums generally have lots of Kowa scopes available. That's where I picked up my used TSN-663 for a great price. The older TSN-1/TSN-3 scopes are still great, but unless it has the LER eyepiece I believe the new eyepiece design is not compatible.

Aside from Kowa, I'm not sure what brands are available to you in Europe. At least now you have some ideas of what features work well for spotting scopes as it pertains to F-class.

Last edited: