• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which spotting scope to buy?

layback04

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2011
Ohio
I’ve been searching for the “right” spotting scope for about 3 years now, just can’t decide on what will do the job all the time. I currently have riflescopes ranging from a cheap truglo 6-24x right on up to a NF ATACR so I am not afraid of spending the money, I just look at the value of what the tool will be used for.

My shooting consists of 22lr from 25-300 yards and centerfire steel plates out to 1000 and maybe eventually a mile. I currently have a burris landmark 20x, Redfield rampage spotting scopes, and Vortex 10x and 15x Diamondback binos. For confirmed hits on steel the 15x binos seem to work well except for 223 impacts on a 2.5moa piece of steel at 1000 yards, misses are hard to judge beyond 600 yards for me with them. The smallest target is about .5moa , in case that changes anything.

I was in at Cabela’s and looked through every spotting scope they had inside the store, Vortex dback, viper, razor, Cabela’s Krotos and the Swarovski STS. Inside the store, everything under $1700 was very small difference in detail, the Swarovski was of course king of the hill and if I was using this scope to make me money or my life depended on it, I’d buy it. But, is spending over Vortex Razor money really worth it, to just call out corrections under 1000 yards on steel and misses in the dirt? I am not dead set on a brand, I just want to buy once and it get the job done, I don’t want to overspend but I also don’t want to be disappointed that I didn’t spend enough.

What is your recommendation for best bang for the money spotting scope to get the job done. PS if I have to save up for nf, Swarovski, Meopta, zeiss or kowa, I will, but I’d rather spend that extra money components to actually shoot.

Last edited:
It depends on if your conditions are challenging etc. Swarovski, Hendsolt, etc. Will pull away from vortex and lesser spotters. I had a razor spotter with the big 80mm objective. Heavy but pretty decent glass. I now have a henny spotter 60 and it is definitely better than the razor. DOF, color, contrast, etc are all better. It really shows its worth in more challenging conditions.
A razor or lesser can get the job done sure but not as easily. Every macth I'm spotter with the henny I can clearly see all the impacts on the plate no problem

I had a Kowa TSN-82SV for a few years. It is about $1100 and was pretty damned nice and the equal of anything near its price point.

I got to the point where a reticle was necessary though and I sold it and moved on but it is one you should consider as it doesn't really break the bank

Go on EBay and buy some vintage awesomeness cheap. Save a piece of history.

It will do everything you need it to do spotting your own target holes.

You will find though atmosphere quickly makes it useless and expect only "gross" information - a new splash on steel or its in the white part of the target - or you assume its in the black or a miss.

Determining the type of target will matter concerning what you see. I shoot cream colored targets with a thick outline of an appropriate size MOA circle. It's either in the circle or out.

If you are in comps, spotting for a friend, maybe you want something else and the reticle would be the thing to have. Going to a mile - spend all you can.

I have a Viper HD 20x60-85 that I caught on sale that I like a lot.
I set it up earlier in the week and was watching the Blue Super Moon with it. Ut worked well even in the driveway with street lights and other light pollution.
I picked up the Fixed 33x eyepiece with a Mil Reticle in it and it's perfect for calling out corrections.

Another vote for Kowa; searched the threads on here a couple of years ago and it was strongly recommended, bought one and zero complaints.

Thank you to all who responded in this thread.
I’m currently looking at spotting scopes also.

Reactions: simonp
I’ve got a decade old razor 85mm with both the 20-60 and the 30 mrad eye pieces and while the swaro is better I’m not sure it’s appreciably better to me for prs stuff.

Reactions: Trent A
Has anybody had a Meopta Meopro, kowa tsn-663, Vortex Razor and Athlon Cronus next to one another? I’m content spending about $1500 but $3k may be more than what I’ll get the use out of.

Last edited:
You really need to get out in different environments and look through a bunch. Don't judge anything in store. The artificial lighting throws shit way off, there is no atmospherics and the distances are too short. See if you can go to a match or two and just ask people if you can look through their glass, almost everyone will be happy to let you try. Look into shadows, mirage and low light if you get the chance.

IMO
NOTHING looks better than a Spotter45/60 and its not even close. ( can get a reticle)
Second would be the Alphas from Leica/Ziess/Swaro
Then Swaro STR (Can get a Reticle)
The MK4 with reticle is not terrible, but its an option around $2K.
The Kowas are probably the best bang for your buck especially if you don't want a reticle.

Mirrage and IQ/Resoultion will be the biggest challeneges for spotting .223 impacts on steel and even with good glass, you will have trouble depending on conditions. Target indicators were invented for a reason. Even fast 6mm can be hard as hell to see at that distance.

Spotters are cool but unless I am running a Spotter45/60, I would rather have 15X SLC or 12X Pures. Much more versatile glass and way easier to pack around. Staring through a spotter for more than a minute really really sucks. Eye fatigue creeps up fast.

Reactions: RackSqueezeBang
For me a FFP reticle is critically important - and I would strongly recommend one when spotting long range shooting. There's a huge difference between being able to say "you're a little left" and "you are 1 Mil left" of the target when spotting. Assuming my rifle scope is also in mils, I can hold 1 mil right and get a hit if I manage to shoot before the wind changes. Same for zeroing the scope. Be careful as not all scopes put the reticle in the first focal plane which is needed to measure shots.

Next you want to consider how much power is useful. You want a wide FOV at low power to find targets, but probably over 30x when zoomed in to see mirage for wind calls. Too much power is not that useful, as you usually give up the low power end and it becomes hard to find targets.

So best all around spotting scope for field use: the classic Leupold Mark 4 - 12-40x60mm with TMR (Mil) reticle. Its compact, clear, and what the military uses. The 12x gives you a wide FOV on the low end to find targets, and makes it easy to transition from searching with binoculars over to the scope. The 40x with the mil TMR reticle lets you measure (mill) targets at range (if you have that skill) as well as spot hits/misses. It also does a good job with mirage for making wind calls and works well even beyond 1000 yards.

Final note - the 223 is not really at all effective at 1000 yards. My buddy and I took a good bolt action 223 out to the long range with a nice scope and while we could hit stuff out to 500-600 yards, the shot to shot variation was terrible at 800 and we essentially had an area effect at 900 yards. I was watching the bullets go in on the spotting scope, and they were varying by many meters in random directions for each shot.

^^^^^^^^^
This!
I've got a spare MOA reticle eyepiece listed in the classifieds for the old Gen 1 Razor. Here is a picture of a steel target at 1000yds with it.

Reticle.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 96C and fx77
IMO a reticle is very helpful. I would rethink getting one with out. Bang for your buck with a reticle is the MK4 with TMR reticle. I am on the same page if you don't think you want a reticle binos are easier and more versatile and can spot fairly well to 1000

Reactions: Craig Brown
Thank you for all the great feedback. Still plenty of considerations and I really wasn’t considering a reticle until I saw the picture chutinlead posted.

Thank you for all the great feedback. Still plenty of considerations and I really wasn’t considering a reticle until I saw the picture chutinlead posted.
The Chinese Vortex Razor G1 20-60x85 is currently on sale at Sportsman's for $749.99 with free shipping before any discount is applied.

It's basically the same Chinese spotter as the Burris Signature HD selling for around $1400. The Vortex Razor HD branded version of this spotter doesn't have the Burris Fastfire 3 mounting holes but their optional eyepieces and scope body covers are swappable.

Good news about buying Vortex when they have such excellent sales such as this one is later on if you ever need to use their hassle free no questions asked lifetime warranty warranty, they even send you a prepaid shipping label so you don't need to spend any money out if pocket to send it in. When it finally becomes obsolete, and you send it in for warranty, they will even upgrade you with their newest latest and greatest more expensive current model for no extra charge.

They even send you brand new replacement Vortex items even if you experience an unforseen accident which destroys your Vortex brand products.

If you can buy the Athlon Cronus G2 UHD 20-60x85 (Also Chinese) for a lot cheaper from Expert Voice with your Law Enforcement or Military or outdoorsy type job qualifications, it's actually better than the G1 Razor. Athlon also has a lifetime warranty but probably won't send you a brand new one if you smash yours or have an accident with it unlike Vortex.

I would have suggested the SV BONY branded version of this Chinese Athlon Cronus UHD G2 spotter at a nearly half price sale for around $399 or less if you didn't care about warranty.

Athlon just put out the Cronus G2 7-42 with a reticle.
I'd like to get my hands on one of them.

We expect delivery shortly on these new scopes and are accepting pre-orders
What's country of origin on Ares ETR 12.5-50x56 and new Cronus G2 7-42x?

How does the 12.5-50x Ares ETR image quality on it's highest magnification stack up against the Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60x and Sightron SIII 10-50x?

*** Top paragraph probably useful for all ***

Even if you don’t agree with my selection, I think I do have a tip that anyone can benefit from. Narrow your selection to a total cost that you can bare missing the funds on for 1-2 months, then buy all of them on Amazon, making sure that your selection is directly from Amazon and/says free returns. When it’s marked with that, Amazon will take anything back provided you return it in its like new state. Compare your top selections side by side and never have to wonder if you would have liked one more than another. Just be carful to keep them in a new state, which shouldn’t be to hard if your carful with them. Even at that, if it’s Amazon directly or at least Amazon who handles the shipping and distribution from a 3rd party, they are lenient with ‘new state’ which is nice, but to be safe (and fair) I wouldn’t push it, lol, but it’s nice to know if they get a small scuff, they likely won’t make anything of it.

*** The rest is only useful if looking for the best bang for your budget buck ***

Short version of the following: get the Vortex Diamondback 20-60x85, new version, not the old version.

The above is likely the more useful part for most readers, of which likely won’t agree with my pick, which is why I posted that first and my pick second, so you can skip it as soon as you see me mention ‘Vortex Diamondback’ if you like, lol.

So, for anyone still reading, lol, my suggestion is going to probably be the cheapest of the crowd, but if you’re looking for best bang for your buck, Vortex Diamondbacks 20-60x85 have been where I’ve put my money. I was surprised by how great they were. I did what I stated above, ordered the older version of the vortex diamondback, the current version of it, and the current vortex viper 20-60x85. I was expecting to keep the Viper, having read all kinds of positive reviews about how they were the best band for your buck spotting scopes and that they were very nearly on par with the Razor that cost significantly more. What I found was, I preferred the new version of the Diamondbacks over the other two options. The new version was considerably better than the old version, and definitely worth the cost difference. So then I had the new diamondback and new viper. Side by side, much to my surprise, I preferred the new diamondback. I fiddled with the diopters and focus settings for a couple hours, thinking it must be something I was doing wrong, but no matter what I did I still found the new DB to be just slightly better than the Viper. Now I don’t have great eyes, so I still thought it was me, so I had my wife fiddle with them, and she didn’t know one from the other or the cost between them as I gave her no info other than how to adjust them. She agreed, the new DB was slightly better, and far better than the old DB. Decided to repeat the process with my father in law who knew a bit more about spotting scopes and didn’t need coaching on how to adjust it, yet doesn’t know current trends or values, so he didn’t know which was the more expensive of the three. Same results.

Maybe I got a bum Viper that skewed my results. That’s my best conclusion as it seems every other review out there raves about how great the Viper is, especially at its price point. Still, I had gained enough information in my testing to see the new DB would fill all the rolls that I was going to ask of it. I could read the street sign that was well over a mile away, the kind that’s about 6” deep from top to bottom at a cross roads. So, I kept the new DB, returned the old DB and Viper, and have been happy with my purchase since. Liked it enough to suggest the same one to my father, who has also loved his, and he uses Swarovski binoculars and knows good optics better than myself, and has still been happy with the new DB spotting scope.

Reactions: Scopeye
I love my Razor gen 1 that sportsman's has on sale, that was previously mentioned. Is it the best? No, but it is very good and I have zero stress sharing it with other shooters who may not be as careful as I would like.

*** Top paragraph probably useful for all ***

Even if you don’t agree with my selection, I think I do have a tip that anyone can benefit from. Narrow your selection to a total cost that you can bare missing the funds on for 1-2 months, then buy all of them on Amazon, making sure that your selection is directly from Amazon and/says free returns. When it’s marked with that, Amazon will take anything back provided you return it in its like new state. Compare your top selections side by side and never have to wonder if you would have liked one more than another. Just be carful to keep them in a new state, which shouldn’t be to hard if your carful with them. Even at that, if it’s Amazon directly or at least Amazon who handles the shipping and distribution from a 3rd party, they are lenient with ‘new state’ which is nice, but to be safe (and fair) I wouldn’t push it, lol, but it’s nice to know if they get a small scuff, they likely won’t make anything of it.

*** The rest is only useful if looking for the best bang for your budget buck ***

Short version of the following: get the Vortex Diamondback 20-60x85, new version, not the old version.

The above is likely the more useful part for most readers, of which likely won’t agree with my pick, which is why I posted that first and my pick second, so you can skip it as soon as you see me mention ‘Vortex Diamondback’ if you like, lol.

So, for anyone still reading, lol, my suggestion is going to probably be the cheapest of the crowd, but if you’re looking for best bang for your buck, Vortex Diamondbacks 20-60x85 have been where I’ve put my money. I was surprised by how great they were. I did what I stated above, ordered the older version of the vortex diamondback, the current version of it, and the current vortex viper 20-60x85. I was expecting to keep the Viper, having read all kinds of positive reviews about how they were the best band for your buck spotting scopes and that they were very nearly on par with the Razor that cost significantly more. What I found was, I preferred the new version of the Diamondbacks over the other two options. The new version was considerably better than the old version, and definitely worth the cost difference. So then I had the new diamondback and new viper. Side by side, much to my surprise, I preferred the new diamondback. I fiddled with the diopters and focus settings for a couple hours, thinking it must be something I was doing wrong, but no matter what I did I still found the new DB to be just slightly better than the Viper. Now I don’t have great eyes, so I still thought it was me, so I had my wife fiddle with them, and she didn’t know one from the other or the cost between them as I gave her no info other than how to adjust them. She agreed, the new DB was slightly better, and far better than the old DB. Decided to repeat the process with my father in law who knew a bit more about spotting scopes and didn’t need coaching on how to adjust it, yet doesn’t know current trends or values, so he didn’t know which was the more expensive of the three. Same results.

Maybe I got a bum Viper that skewed my results. That’s my best conclusion as it seems every other review out there raves about how great the Viper is, especially at its price point. Still, I had gained enough information in my testing to see the new DB would fill all the rolls that I was going to ask of it. I could read the street sign that was well over a mile away, the kind that’s about 6” deep from top to bottom at a cross roads. So, I kept the new DB, returned the old DB and Viper, and have been happy with my purchase since. Liked it enough to suggest the same one to my father, who has also loved his, and he uses Swarovski binoculars and knows good optics better than myself, and has still been happy with the new DB spotting scope.
I always try to make every effort to compare all new items I buy with what I already have and usually buy a couple of different brands at a time and plan to return most and I ly jeep the ones I feel are worth keeping.

Amazon has a good return policy when they specify free returns. I really like Walmart online too especially their free returns with 90 days (careful, some items are only for 30 days though) and you can even return them at your own local Walmart too if you aren't happy with your purchase. Not everything at Walmart online is actually worth buying though. There's way too many regular priced items selling there so don't assume they have the best deals and always be mindful to shop around for the best prices before buying anything from them. They are indeed very good just to try out stuff if you already planned to return almost everything you buy though after comparing different brands of scopes and optics. They're better than even Midway USA regarding totally hassle free return policy. Just try not to abuse the system too much and too often.

I encourage buying several different brands of what you want at the same time and only keep the best one you personally feel is actually worth keeping and return the rest. Always keep detailed notes on items you already tried and returned for refund and what's the closest comparable quality item both up and down in level. Put out a couple of business cards at 100 yards for a reference to glass quality that you are able to read them with.

Have an Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 and several Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 G2s on hand for reference and only keep the ones clearer than those Athlons. Midas Tac should be bare minimum acceptable level of clarity and the Ares BTR G2 is at least one noticeable step up above the Midas Tac in glass quality with equal turrets. These damg Athlon scopes really ruined my expectations and keep ending up returning or getting rid of a lot of other brands of scopes I buy after comparing them to these. In fact I got rid of two of my Japan made Tract Toric 4-20x50 scopes with German Schott glass after comparing them side by side to the Chinese Ares BTR and I usually prefer Japan made LOW scopes over Chinese made scopes TBH. I have yet to find any other scope brand selling their Chinese made scope models to be able to actually beat the Ares BTR regardless of price. I paid $700 for each of mine but they're even cheaper on sale now at $565.49. I would never buy them at their regular $869.99 street price though since they're still made in China no matter how wonderful they are $500-$600 is the maximum limit worth paying for anything Chinese IMHO only with no questions asked lifetime warranty including their electronics. It's totally insane to pay regular prices for anything made in China that doesn't have a real hassle free full lifetime warranty including their electronics unless you really like to keep on buying disposable throw away goods.

I use Burris Signature XTR rings so there's zero evidence that the scopes have ever been mounted. I honestly feel the Burris Signature XTR rings are the best regardless of how cheap you can buy them for on sale $70-$80 through certain dealers. Sometimes get lucky for $60. No need for lapping and able to optically center any scope to your rifles and even add additional MOAs from 5 to 40 MOAs without the need to buy an additional 20 or 30 MOA base. These rings will also fix any kind of zeroing problems as well even with broken scopes that turrets don't work as they should and if you already got screwed over by that brand's warranty department denying repair or replacement.

I always try to make every effort to compare all new items I buy with what I already have and usually buy a couple of different brands at a time and plan to return most and I ly jeep the ones I feel are worth keeping.

Amazon has a good return policy when they specify free returns. I really like Walmart online too especially their free returns with 90 days (careful, some items are only for 30 days though) and you can even return them at your own local Walmart too if you aren't happy with your purchase. Not everything at Walmart online is actually worth buying though. There's way too many regular priced items selling there so don't assume they have the best deals and always be mindful to shop around for the best prices before buying anything from them. They are indeed very good just to try out stuff if you already planned to return almost everything you buy though after comparing different brands of scopes and optics. They're better than even Midway USA regarding totally hassle free return policy. Just try not to abuse the system too much and too often.

I encourage buying several different brands of what you want at the same time and only keep the best one you personally feel is actually worth keeping and return the rest. Always keep detailed notes on items you already tried and returned for refund and what's the closest comparable quality item both up and down in level. Put out a couple of business cards at 100 yards for a reference to glass quality that you are able to read them with.

Have an Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 and several Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 G2s on hand for reference and only keep the ones clearer than those Athlons. Midas Tac should be bare minimum acceptable level of clarity and the Ares BTR G2 is at least one noticeable step up above the Midas Tac in glass quality with equal turrets. These damg Athlon scopes really ruined my expectations and keep ending up returning or getting rid of a lot of other brands of scopes I buy after comparing them to these. In fact I got rid of two of my Japan made Tract Toric 4-20x50 scopes with German Schott glass after comparing them side by side to the Chinese Ares BTR and I usually prefer Japan made LOW scopes over Chinese made scopes TBH. I have yet to find any other scope brand selling their Chinese made scope models to be able to actually beat the Ares BTR regardless of price. I paid $700 for each of mine but they're even cheaper on sale now at $565.49. I would never buy them at their regular $869.99 street price though since they're still made in China no matter how wonderful they are $500-$600 is the maximum limit worth paying for anything Chinese IMHO only with no questions asked lifetime warranty including their electronics. It's totally insane to pay regular prices for anything made in China that doesn't have a real hassle free full lifetime warranty including their electronics unless you really like to keep on buying disposable throw away goods.

I use Burris Signature XTR rings so there's zero evidence that the scopes have ever been mounted. I honestly feel the Burris Signature XTR rings are the best regardless of how cheap you can buy them for on sale $70-$80 through certain dealers. Sometimes get lucky for $60. No need for lapping and able to optically center any scope to your rifles and even add additional MOAs from 5 to 40 MOAs without the need to buy an additional 20 or 30 MOA base. These rings will also fix any kind of zeroing problems as well even with broken scopes that turrets don't work as they should and if you already got screwed over by that brand's warranty department denying repair or replacement.

Great info, and enjoyed the read, but I do believe the OP was looking more for spotting scope selections. Still, more relevant/useful than 90% of my post, lol.

I would be interested though, since you seem to be big on Athlon, do you have any experience with their spotting scopes? I’ve been interested in their Cronos spotting scope but haven’t made up my mind, primarily due to the fact of watching a few posts on here having a hard time selling theirs. Hopefully I would get it and love it, but with the uncertainty of it, I feel uneasy knowing it might be a hard product to back out of with a decent resale value in the event I decided against keeping it.

Reactions: Scopeye
Great info, and enjoyed the read, but I do believe the OP was looking more for spotting scope selections. Still, more relevant/useful than 90% of my post, lol.

I would be interested though, since you seem to be big on Athlon, do you have any experience with their spotting scopes? I’ve been interested in their Cronos spotting scope but haven’t made up my mind, primarily due to the fact of watching a few posts on here having a hard time selling theirs. Hopefully I would get it and love it, but with the uncertainty of it, I feel uneasy knowing it might be a hard product to back out of with a decent resale value in the event I decided against keeping it.
Buy it through Expert Voice for probably around $600 or less for the 20-60x85 Cronus UHD G2 then you won't have trouble selling it later. They sell items for around half the price. Pay attention on Amazon and Walmart online too sometimes certain Athlon items and other brands of stuff goes on sale for unbelievably cheap same as Expert Voice prices for certain items. If it's the 15-45x Cronus G2 spotter check Expert Voice or seller/dealer on Rokslide often sell Athlon stuff for pretty dirt cheap with opem box or damaged box new items. I think the Ares G2 was low as $350 damaged box.

The Chinese Athlon Cronus UHD G2 is better than the Japan made Tract Toric Spotting scope with German Schott glass. If warranty doesn't matter to you then check Amazon for the SV BONY brand version of the G2 Cronus spotter last time I saw it was on sale for $380 or $360 roughly half off.

If you are insane and buy Athlon and most other brands of scopes and optics at full regular street prices of course you will definitely lose money later when you sell it. If all else fails Doug at Cameraland is known to offer the best discounted prices over the phone for Athlon and other brands he sells but won't be close to cheapest EV price deals. If only Scott at Liberty sold Athlon brand, I bet he could match EV prices.

Most places won't budge and expect you to pay full price. Once you find the certain cheapest priced dealers over the phone and compare prices with others who won't budge or give you higher quotes you know who never to buy from or even bother calling them ever again. They rather lose a customer than hurt their profits and prey on ignorant customers who don't know any better.

I have absolutely no idea why most buyers are even happy to pay regular street prices for their stuff when they are selling the same items for significantly cheaper at certain places. I personally used to feel really stupid paying (Example) $800-$1000 for Chinese Bushnell scopes when they were selling for half price or less through some second party authorized Bushnell dealers. I make sure this is never going to happen again. This is the reason I came to realize how much their optics are really marked up like Riton. Vortex is excused because of their LE/Military discount at least 40% off through EV sometimes Focus Camera EuroOptic and Scopelist have dirt cheap sales too and Vortex has their unmatched best in the business number one no questions asked VIP lifetime warranty including their electronics.

Just to clarify, I'm not really big on Athlon. I'm only big on certain Athlon models and only when they go on sale. I can never recommend paying regular prices for them no matter how great I think they really are.

The Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 sucks it's as terrible optically as the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50. I really regret purchasing two of them and can never ever recommend buying them no matter how cheap they go on sale for.

Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 I recommend only when paying around $500 or less for.

Athlon Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 I recommend only when paying under $600 for maybe a little over that much is fine.

Athlon Midas BTR HD G2 4.5-27x50 SFP especially when paying under $500 for.

The only brand that I'm willing to pay regular prices for I feel that are actually worth it are March scopes and Tract Tekoa BDC with tall turret zero stop sunshade kit maybe the Athlon Midas BTR HD Gen 2 4.5-27x50 SFP and prrobably the only Chinese made scope actually worth paying $599.99 regular price for that you'll probably never want to sell anyway.

We expect delivery shortly on these new scopes and are accepting pre-orders
Athlon just put out the Cronus G2 7-42 with a reticle.
I'd like to get my hands on one of them.
Is this a new model? I thought they have been out for quite a while? What changed?

I’m interested in this, but wondering if the weight will be an issue.

Not a spotter expert at all, but I just got the Burris Signature HD spotter. 2200yds, with no mirage, I can make out the decorative panels of a white colored entry door. Definitely could make out hits if it were a steel plate. Don't know if this is common to all spotters, but 45X max power is really all that's needed to see a good detailed sight picture.

I just checked Amazon for the top of the line SVBONY brand version of the Athlon Cronus G2 UHD spotter and it's currently $799 and only has a minimal discount option so don't buy it. Only buy it when it goes on sale for less than half price for under $400 in the mid $300's.

The SVBONY SV46 HD with better than average free tripod is currently on sale for around $100 and change with free shipping and free returns $199.99-$99.00 discount promo. It's the same $250 spotter used to compare to the $900 G1 Razor HD but it's now on sale for around $100 with free tripod.

"Amazon.com: SVBONY SV46 Spotting Scopes, Angled 20-60x80 Spotting Scope with Tripod, HD Dual Focus Spotting Scopes, IPX7 Waterproof Fogproof Long Range Spotting Scopes for Bird Watching : Sports & Outdoors"

That YouTube video review compared it to the Gen 1 Vortex Razor (currently on sale for $749.99 with free shipping at Sportsman's).

The higher model SVBONY SV406P with ED glass is under $300 ($379.99-$85.00 discount) with current Amazon discount with free shipping and free returns.

"Amazon.com: SVBONY SV406P 20-60x80 Spotting Scopes, ED Dual Focus Spotter Scope, BAK4 FMC Spotting Scopes for Bird Watching Wildlife Viewing : Sports & Outdoors"

If you're really tight about spending money I'd buy both of these SVBONY SV46 $100 with free tripod and SV406P $300 spotters and plan to return one or both after comparing them side by side.

I bet that sub $300 SV406P is very close to the Vortex Razor G1 HD while the $100 SV46 might even be good enough for your own use (at least better than the Athlon Argos and Vortex Diamondback HD) and no problems breaking even on that cheaper one since other places are currently selling it for $259 and up and the free tripod looks at least as decent enough as the $25-$30 ones sold on Amazon. Probably break even on it just on the spotter alone and even get to keep that tripod too.

Best of all it's totally risk free just to try out both of them to compare side by side for yourself with free shipping and free returns through Amazon for both.

If stuff is really cheap enough you can probably afford to overlook their lack of warranty. Just don't use them as a hammer or leave them outside in the rain. You can also do much worse by buying junk that cost similar or even more money than these with no warranty anyways.

Edited to add - to minimize the apparent chromatic aberration, just find something that fits into the end of the spotter like a plastic cover from Pik Nik shoestring potatoes or maybe a coffee can cover and cut a hole the size of a DIME in the center and if it gets too dark, keep widening that center hole slightly probably up to a quarter size coin or so but the old Susan B dollar coin may be too big to positively help. Be sure to always keep their sunshades fully extended when looking through them during the daytime.

Last edited:
  • Love
In regards to Athlon warranty, my one experience was excellent. Had the original Ares 15-45 spotter. Wind blew tripod over and would no longer change magnification. Dealt with it for about six months until hunting season was over as I figured it would take months for warranty. Had the new gen 2 version 10 days after I mailed it out, with emails from them to confirm receipt and then saying a new one was on the way with tracking info. Very satisfied with service.