• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which Spuhr mount for long range 56mm scopes?

cashewnut

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2018
I have two Kahles K16i's mounted on Spuhr SP-3026's, which are cantilever style and 1.26“ high.

The cantilever style is perfect for this scope - because of its huge eye relief you have to shift it forward on the rail quite a bit.

I have two Kahles K525i's on order, one to go on an AR and one on a Tikka T3X TAC A1. Is there any rule of thumb on whether to use a cantilever style mount on long range 56mm scopes like this? For example, two possible Spuhr choices are the 4001 and 4026. The 4001 is 1.18“ high and not cantilever. The 4026 is the 34mm equivalent of the 3026 I have on my K16i's - 1.26“ high and cantilever style.

Is there any disadvantage of going with the cantilever style? I know it's really scope, rifle, and use dependent but my thinking is I can "remove" as much of the forward shift of the cantilever mount as I want by just mounting it further back on the rifle.

Which mounts do people usually go with for long range 56mm scopes?

Thanks!

I only use cantilevered mounts when I need the optic more forward for proper eye relief(which is almost never in my case).

If you need the cantilever to obtain the proper eye relief, get it, if not, don’t.

I personally stick with the spuhr 3601 and 4601 for 30 and 34mm tubes with objectives up to 56mm on a standard bolt rifle. If you’re running an AR or a flat top chassis, you may have to run the 1.25” or if you plan on using NV, a 1.5” mount.

I only use cantilevered mounts when I need the optic more forward for proper eye relief(which is almost never in my case).

If you need the cantilever to obtain the proper eye relief, get it, if not, don’t.

I personally stick with the spuhr 3601 and 4601 for 30 and 34mm tubes with objectives up to 56mm on a standard bolt rifle. If you’re running an AR or a flat top chassis, you may have to run the 1.25” or if you plan on using NV, a 1.5” mount.

I guess my question is, and perhaps this is a dumb question... how do you know if you need a cantilever style mount to obtain the proper eye relief, short of buying both types of mounts and then playing with the scope position? Is there an easy way to know ahead of time before buying the mount based on the published eye relief, scope dimensions, etc.?

I guess my question is, and perhaps this is a dumb question... how do you know if you need a cantilever style mount to obtain the proper eye relief, short of buying both types of mounts and then playing with the scope position? Is there an easy way to know ahead of time before buying the mount based on the published eye relief, scope dimensions, etc.?

I’m sure someone has a better way to know, as I’ve used so many types of mounts I know what I like.

You can always buy a super cheap set of rings and use them to see where they end up once you have the optic in the right spot for you.

Reactions: Lthrt

AR-15: cantilever
AR-10: maybe
Bolt gun: no cantilever

Odd body shapes and shooting positions may vary, but this is a general rule of thumb.