• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which SSHD?

Twitch2120

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2012
Atlanta, GA
time is slowly ticking away on the HD deals and I don't know which way to go. my rig is a 308 aac-sd, 20moa badger rail and 30mm talley tacticals. shooting paper/steel out to 800yds. doubt it will see hunting unless a squirrel runs onto the range. this rig is a training tool for me as I've not shot distance past 100 and havent used mil/mil scopes. also going to be my first bedding job on rail and gun.

the 10x seems kinda idiot proof and simple. slightly cheaper at $700. money saved going into reloading components and/or trigger. the 5-20 gives me mag range which should make reaching out a bit easier at a higher price tag. im just not sure which way to roll. any advice or first hand experience is welcome

Re: Which SSHD?

well, I would obviously vouch for the 5-20, I own two of them! I will chew up a few of the issues I would personally be thinking about, just in case you have not...

I guess much of the decision comes down to cash...you willing to spend 600 or 1050 (with current coupon)? To be honest, if you purchased the 3-9 over the fixed 10, you would still have that capability to decrease your magnification range, while not missing much on the top end on 9 power (versus 10 power). You would also get a chance to learn ranging, etc with an FFP reticle while saving $200.00 (going with 3-9).

BUT, there is something to be said about spending that extra couple of hundred and just going with the 5-20. You can chant "buy once, cry once" while you type your credit card number in...seems to help me just a bit! You never know if SWFA will run one of these specials again. For 1300, this scope is a great price. For 1050, if you've got it, it's a no-brainer.

Did I talk you into it?
wink.gif
Keep us posted!

Re: Which SSHD?

i went with the 5-20.... easier to spot holes with the higher power & vapor trails seem to be easier to spot at ~15x so i can help spot for friends