• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which states has the most options for PRS natches

Jayhop101

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2014
I am in a unique position that i can move to any state I want with my job. I am just trying to find out what states has the most options for prs or nrl competitions (not .22). This is one of the factors that will drive my decision. Thanks for your input.

definatly not delaware there is only one place that you might even shoot 1k .

Go to each of their sites and look at where their matches are being held and see which has more sanctioned matches in a certain area and use that to help.

Central PA- you have 7 places which host PRS / PRS style matches in drivable distance and you have 7-9 Pro series matches in drivable distance. The competition is kick ass. There are no NRL non rimfire matches on the East Coast.

PRS options

2023 PRS .jpg

That's only part of the options. The Regional has more matches.

depending on how close to 'infrastructure' you need to be, West-by-doG may be a good option. Just over the VA border up close to the MD/WV/VA borders. Peacemaker/Shadow Hawk territory

Very 2A friendly state. Not much in the way of jobs otherwise tho

M

Out west. Depends how far you want to travel. Have lived all over the US and now back on east coast. There are a like 7 or 8 2 day prs matches within 6 hours and about 2 dozen 1 days within 3 hours. But you are stuck on east coast which sucks.

Eastern WA/ID is good for PRS/NRL/RTC matches. Utah would be pretty nice and lots of matches in texas/okie.

If it was me I would start with states that do not have an income tax, then have lowest cost of living/total taxes.

If you live in Wichita, you can shoot a match every weekend all season long and never have to drive more than 3 hours.

Reactions: 308pirate
Move to Utah. You will have matches all around you.

Plus it doesn't quite have the commie stink some of the states have in that area.

Don't move to South Dakota. We are full and we have snow 10.5 months of the year. Our mosquitos and rattlesnakes are having a competition of who can kill more.

Utah is full as is....

highly recommend Wyoming ask @Bender plenty of room very consistent weather...

I wouldn't move based on match frequency or availability.
Why not? People move to be closer to the recreational activities they enjoy all the time. There are definitely places where shooting is a much bigger pain in the ass. The OP should move to Wyoming, close to Cheyenne. Buy enough land to shoot on his own property or use the range on Otto road to train and then have access to matches from Kansas to Utah all within 6 hours drive. PRS, pro and regional, and NRL. It’s paradise.

Reactions: Rexwagon
Why not? People move to be closer to the recreational activities they enjoy all the time. There are definitely places where shooting is a much bigger pain in the ass. The OP should move to Wyoming, close to Cheyenne. Buy enough land to shoot on his own property or use the range on Otto road to train and then have access to matches from Kansas to Utah all within 6 hours drive. PRS, pro and regional, and NRL. It’s paradise.
You could essentially travel and shoot all you want for a year due the cost savings of paying low/no taxes and low cost of living. Saving 7-15k a year is alot of prs/nrl matches.

You could essentially travel and shoot all you want for a year due the cost savings of paying low/no taxes and low cost of living. Saving 7-15k a year is alot of prs/nrl matches.

Totally agree. Find a place that is cheap to live and low taxes and then travel some to matches if need be but now with so many matches you can live a lot of places and still have them close enough.

Utah has a 1 day centerfire match nearly every weekend between Price, Manti, Hurricane, and Blue Creek (Tremonton), and the NRL22 crowd is pretty big too. Salt Lake up by the air port, and down in Hobble creek, with X-Matches interspersed.

Reactions: Oldloser
Pa has a ton. Im in NE ohio and can shoot almost every weekend with a 4 hour or less drive. Plus theres a shit ton of 2days within 12 hour drive(like half or more of them). Plus the politics of OH are still pretty good.

My suggestion based on history. Once, upon a time in Louisiana, one could shoot an IHMSA match every weekend at a different location all through the year. IF, you made a reservation to shoot the matches at least a week or sooner in advance. (They usually filled up, shooting often starting at first light and finishing when it was too dark to shoot.)

Now, there is one very struggling match at Hodge Louisiana (with no fall targets, kind like practicing at paper) and two small bore matches held in Gonzales and Ringgold, all put on by the same gentleman. The only other match within a full days driving is in New Braunfels Texas. (A three day trip, one to go, one to shoot the match and the last to return.). Rarely are there more than one or two shooters at the current matches In Louisiana

Point, live where you are happy, where you can make a good living, with climate that suits your purposes and lifestyle. Matches as well as sports come and go. Moving to a location that has lots of matches today, maybe days away from even sparsely attended matches tomorrow. (Leaving you living in a place you hate and hates you)

Last edited:
Casper. Salt Lake City. Within an hour of Dallas or Austin. Wichita. Little Rock. PRS matches are popping up everywhere. And WyCO is very active too.

Your big constraint will be a range out to 800+ yards that is not FUDDy or too expensive that has lots of props to work off of and a staff that works hard for you. Some ranges just need someone to invest in some welder time to get the props up.

If I had my pick, I’d choose Utah or Idaho. Lots of shooting and amazing climbing and hunting.

Yeah i have lived most of my life in the South East. Grew up in Tennessee and then Ft Benning, Campbell, Bragg. The SE hates me now because apparently i have developed an allergy to White Oaks when they bloom (thankfully not when they are aging Whiskey). I was looking in Nevada also. No income tax, pretty Vet friendly. Thatnks for you advice guys another factor is cheap plane tickets to fly my daughter to me...so again Nevada is on the list. I know i know...the heat but i currently work at the Embassy in Iraq as a DDM so the heat isnt bad....as long as the humidity isnt with it. Looks like i have some traveling to do on my leaves from this crap hole.

Also what does the PRS NRL ELR scene look like in Nevada? I am also interning with a rifle builder and building ling range rifles ( turning barrels, blueprinting actions etc so i would also like a place to showcase my work.

I would say NE Nevada.
It's just a club match but we shoot a long range prone Varmint Silhouette match once a month.
You have to earn your way out to the Eight hundred yard line.
Some shooters that do prs said they thought this was harder. I personally do not know since I don't shoot prs.

Sometime in the next year I'm going to start a long range 22 match based off the Varmint Silhouette match.

From Elko you can go to Utah, Idaho, Oregon it all depends on how far you want to travel.

Reactions: John Glidewell
Well looks like a moot point. My ex is moving with ny daughter to Milwaukee. So i will be moving around there to be with my daughter (when your 5 year old asks..how can i saw no?) Didnt know that kreiger and bartlein are near Milwaukee.