• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Stock for Rem 700 SA?

Ebby

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
MS
Looking for some help choosing a Stock for my Rem .308. I own several McMillans and have always been pleased with quality. This will be a tactical style which I currently don't own anything of. I would like to get started with it. I have a friend with a Manners on his .308 and I really like it. I have also looked at the AICS stocks and the JAE stocks. I don't won't to overpay but I'm not afraid to pay what it takes to get quality. Any thoughts for me? Thanks guys. Mostly a lurker but have enjoyed the site a lot and feel like I've picked up a great deal of info.

Re: Which Stock for Rem 700 SA?

My thoughts: a search... or continued lurking... huge amounts of threads on this topic. The brands you have mentioned are all quality, it is subjective as to personal preference from there.

Yeah, Ive searched and of course have found good and bad. I'm familiar with the McMillan's and Manners and know what they are like. I have no experience with any of the AICS or JAE stocks. I'll search some more. Thanks
Lee

If I were looking for a stock for a Remington the AICS would high on my list. Just bolt it in and go right now.

If you like pretty rifles that also have functional value get a McMillan or Manners. If function is your only concern then an AI will work just as well. I have both and enjoy both.

I have tried the Manners T4, AICS 1.5 and Mc Millan A5. I prefer the Mc Millan/Manners grip as I found the AICS thumb hole a little restrictive. Between the A5 and the T4 I prefered the T4 since the forearm did not taper. Having said that, I know Mc Millan has the A4 that has no taper. As mentioned above, it's all a matter of preference and figuring what works for you. Good luck.

why don't you post up in the member link up section and look for people in your area. Then you can actually get behind some stocks and see which on you prefer.

My opinion: The McM A5 is the greatest of all time. Many will disagree
grin.gif

the jae stock is still pre production, when i emailed them about getting one for my 700 i believe they told me they won't be out till may. So, i went with the aics, instead, and i'm pretty happy with it. the aics and the jae stock are pretty much the same price wise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnManCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody know the weight on the A5?</div></div>

Depends on the type of fill requested when the stock is ordered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hgr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were looking for a stock for a Remington the AICS would high on my list. Just bolt it in and go right now. </div></div>

OP, if you really like McMillans, I would ensure you get behind an AICS before purchase and actually SHOOT the AICS stock rifle. It is a completely different feel and the size of your hands truly affects the feel of the thumbhole. IF you want an integral DBM, check out the Manners MCS-T5. That will give you a traditional stock feel with the integral DBM and bedding block. And yes, I use "integral" understanding that the DBM is a separate piece.

Josh

I own and can recommend the Kelbly's line of stocks. In fact I have a 308 heavy bbl Remington going into one as we type. Just need to get off my lazy ass and get it done. This stock is remarkable! The balance point is like nothing I've ever seen before. If you pick this stock with one hand on the pistol grip, the weight of the stock seems to disappear. The balance is that good. Give them a look see and if you call them, ask for Jim and he'll answer any and all questions you might have. Great folks to deal with. http://www.kelbly.com/

Wow, thanks guys! This is the kind of info I was looking for. I'll check out the Kelbly stuff. I am thinking about the Manners with the included bottom metal. Has anybody gotten one yet? I know they did a group buy on them a week or so ago but of course I missed it. Looks like a pretty nice system. The McM A5 is the one I would go with if choosing the McM. Thanks again.
Lee