• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which suppressor, but with a twist...

bluegrasspicker

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2005
West Virginia
I'd like to hear some opinions on this...

I'm building my perfect forever rifle. It's a handy not-too-heavy bolt-action precision rig modeled after my current budget version that slowly evolved over the last 15 years. It's used around the farm and at an occasional long-range match (for fun and to get better, I don't want the rifle's form to be motivated by winning matches).

It has a 20" barrel, short action, built with top-notch components. The barrel's a Remington Varmint profile.

My old rifle that this is replacing (that's similar but not so top-notch) has a 9" SAS suppressor with a TOMB. The 9" suppressor's longer than I like.

I'm also tired of switching it back and forth to an 8" SBR.

I did my homework a while back and ordered a Dominus for the new rifle. By my reckoning it seems to be a perfect match for what I'm trying to build. It currently sits in jail.

The balance of compactness and the suppression of the Dominus really sold me on it, along with TBAC's reputation for having a quality product.

Since I've been waiting, I've been reading. Reading always costs me money, haha. Most threads like this one seem to favor the Ultra 7 for what I'm doing. From what I've read here, even the boss man from TBAC himself (Hi, Zack!) seems to favor the Ultra 7 for precision bolt rifle applications.

So, I'm wondering if there's something that I didn't consider. I like the fact that the Dominus is shorter than the 7 Ultra. The size difference is more important on this sort of build as opposed to a dedicated 25 pound 10' prs build. Also, I'm not the tallest dude in the world (I'm 5'7"). While the Dominus is a little fatter, I think I'm going to be impressed by how much lighter and shorter it is than my current can.

It sounds like the Ultra 5 wouldn't offer enough suppression for my tastes.

What I'd like to avoid is hopping back in NFA line several months down the road. I'm still about eight months out on this can (NFA trust laws changed since my last purchase, took me forever to figure it out, yada yada yada, that's another story and blood pressure pill).

If you all convince me that the 7 Ultra will be a better fit for reasons that I've not considered, the Dominus might have a cell mate for a while.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

In the CB versions, the Dominus-CB saves you 0.75" in length and has almost identical suppression to the normal Ultra 7 gen 2. Compared to the Gen 1 Ultras, the Dominus-CB is a little quieter than the Ultra 7 Gen 1 (half the difference between the Gen1 U7 and U9).

Depending on the rifle setup, I find that sometimes you really "notice" the extra diameter of the 1.7-1.8" cans, and sometimes you don't. On a really handy rifle that doesn't have a long fore-end tube, like more of a conventional hunting rifle, or one that I'm gong to be taking in and out of stuff, I kind of prefer the Ultra 7 size because it's smaller on the muzzle to get caught on stuff. However, on AR's or similar chassis-style bolt guns that have a long fore-end tube anyway, the larger OD cans end up about the same "OD" as the tube and it doesn't really change the overall bulk very much.

For example, a MK18 (10.3 or 10.5" SBR AR) with a 9.5" rail, and a Dominus on the end has almost a straight profile and it doesn't seem to add very much bulk to it because the OD of the can isn't super larger compared to what's behind it. Same for a 16" with a 15" tube, or even a 1.8" can on the end of a AX rifle or chassis. But if we're talking like a little handy CZ-527, I prefer a 1.5 OD can on that just to keep the overall profile narrow.

But the above discussion is very subjective as to how someone likes their rifle "set up."

With regard to the Ultra 5, on a bolt gun (6.5 creed for example), a 6.5 Ultra 5 will get the shooter's ear (SE) number down to right around 130 dB (308 w/ .30 cal Ultra 5 is about 3 dB louder @ SE). Where as the Ultra 7/Dominus-CB will have SE numbers down in the mid 120's.

Hope this helps...

In the CB versions, the Dominus-CB saves you 0.75" in length and has almost identical suppression to the normal Ultra 7 gen 2. Compared to the Gen 1 Ultras, the Dominus-CB is a little quieter than the Ultra 7 Gen 1 (half the difference between the Gen1 U7 and U9).

Depending on the rifle setup, I find that sometimes you really "notice" the extra diameter of the 1.7-1.8" cans, and sometimes you don't. On a really handy rifle that doesn't have a long fore-end tube, like more of a conventional hunting rifle, or one that I'm gong to be taking in and out of stuff, I kind of prefer the Ultra 7 size because it's smaller on the muzzle to get caught on stuff. However, on AR's or similar chassis-style bolt guns that have a long fore-end tube anyway, the larger OD cans end up about the same "OD" as the tube and it doesn't really change the overall bulk very much.

For example, a MK18 (10.3 or 10.5" SBR AR) with a 9.5" rail, and a Dominus on the end has almost a straight profile and it doesn't seem to add very much bulk to it because the OD of the can isn't super larger compared to what's behind it. Same for a 16" with a 15" tube, or even a 1.8" can on the end of a AX rifle or chassis. But if we're talking like a little handy CZ-527, I prefer a 1.5 OD can on that just to keep the overall profile narrow.

But the above discussion is very subjective as to how someone likes their rifle "set up."

With regard to the Ultra 5, on a bolt gun (6.5 creed for example), a 6.5 Ultra 5 will get the shooter's ear (SE) number down to right around 130 dB (308 w/ .30 cal Ultra 5 is about 3 dB louder @ SE). Where as the Ultra 7/Dominus-CB will have SE numbers down in the mid 120's.

Hope this helps...
Straight from the horses mouth… If i was building my “perfect-forever rifle” that was modular, it would probably have the dominus on it.

Wow! It took all of 20 minutes on a forum on Saturday afternoon. I guess what they say about TBAC's customer service is true. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the insights, Zak. That makes a lot of sense.

You're correct, I was talking about the CB version.

Even with all of that insight, I guess it still comes down to a subjective call.

Black5.3, did you handle a smaller precision rig with a Dominus on it? Why are you leaning that way?

Given that it's subjective, I'd especially love to hear folks chime in if they've used a "practical" precision rifle with a Dominus.

Maybe I'll wrap some duct tape and foam on my current suppressor to simulate...

Sweet, I've been looking for that answer as well. I should have my Dominus in a month or two (maybe) but I've seen Zack recommend the U7 over and over. Kinda made me wonder but I still think the Dominus CB is the can I want.

It seems like short and fat is a growing trend in suppressors, cartridges and even scopes and I'm really digging it. It's a form meets function thing for me.

I do not own a dominus but have fondled one in hand and on the end of a 11.5” ar. My reason for saying i would have one is because of light weight, level of suppression, and it fits in just fine on a precision bolt gun as it does a carbine. I have already bought into a couple Ultra 7’s so that is what i run in my bolt guns. I do have a couple other “hard use” cans for my shorter barrel ar’s but they were purchased before the dominus was a thing.

Overall theres significant overlap between the dominus and the 7. Seems like splitting hairs to get a 7. This is similar to another thread thats been going on a week or so, where the OP already has the 7. Both of you have the goldilocks can already, either go larger and quieter, or smaller and more handy if you must buy another.

Overall theres significant overlap between the dominus and the 7. Seems like splitting hairs to get a 7. This is similar to another thread thats been going on a week or so, where the OP already has the 7. Both of you have the goldilocks can already, either go larger and quieter, or smaller and more handy if you must buy another.
Yeah knowing what I know now, I probably would have skipped getting another Ultra 7 and got a Dominus. But i got my second Ultra 7 before the Dominus was released. The Dominus is definitely on the short list though when im ready to make a move on another can.

Thanks to all who chimed in. That really helps.

I'm going to stick with the original plan and run the rifle with the Dominus.

Only eight more months to go! ---(assuming my barrel shows up by then)

Reactions: black5.3
Thanks to all who chimed in. That really helps.

I'm going to stick with the original plan and run the rifle with the Dominus.

Only eight more months to go! ---(assuming my barrel shows up by then)
I don’t think you will regret your decision.. And as you already noticed, if you need anything from the TBAC crew they are awesome to deal with.