• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision Which to choose?

Newtoit

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2018
Some Moore advice on which scope to choose would be appreciated. I have raised what I am willing to spend on my scope to 4000ish. I was looking at the flir pts 233 but with a native mag of 1 I don't think this is going to work for me because most of my shots will be in the 150 to 300 yard range. I have heard good reviews on the scope but very concerned of what 4x would look like. I have seen a few other 320 scopes with 4x native mag and I am thinking this would be much better for my intended use. I would prefer scopes with 640 res and 30hz. Would love to have a trijicon but budget will not allow. Looking at any quality scope that fits in this category, not interested in atn. I you were spending your money what is your opinion on the best scope in this price range.

Your requirements fit in to the Pulsar realm, currently.

If you want more native magnification, then the XQ50 has 2.7x at 384. The 640 version only has 1.6x unfortunately, though you can convert it to 320 with 3.2x by pressing 2x digital. The 640 runs about $1k higher than the 384. So you are at a street price of $4,500 to $5,000 for the 640 and $3,500 to $3,800 for the 384.

One advantage of the 640 is that 1.6x gives you are great field of view, and the 2x digital could be used for longer distance shots where you need more magnification. but that flexibility comes with a price tag of an extra $1k.

==
Now, probably sometime this year, the new FLIR/Armasight "bosun Zeuses" will be available. These are 320 only so far, maybe 640 next year? There is a 50mm 4x version and a 75mm 6x version. But, AFAIK at this point, only a few dealers have demo models.
So, if it was me, I'd wait a year on the FLIRs. This is a new blend of the older, well established Armasight technology and some new FLIR technology, but these have not proven by multiple, non-dealer hunters in the field yet. The Pulsars have been.
I don't have to live on the bleeding edge, something that works, works for me. But, there are certainly others who live for the bleeding edge and those folks will be waiting for the"bosun Zeuses" !!! :)

Actually, wait, I'm seeing Night VIsion Guys is showing the 6x 320 Bosun Zeus is in stock and shipping in 24 hours !

https://www.nightvisionguys.com/the...-60hz-thermal-weapon-sight-with-boson-320x256

Now again, if it was me, I'd wait a year, but for those who want to dive in, maybe they can be had now. That said, this 6x, might be more like 7x or 8x ... and even 6x is too much magnification for me ... the 200yd pigs will look like they are 50yds :D

I was thinking about pulsar. Are they rugged and dependable? Battery life? How is their customer service?

I've owned 4 pulsar thermals over the past 2.5 years. I've never had a CS event. With Armasight, I owned 5 thermals over the past 4 years and had six CS events. With ATN, I've owned 2 thermals over the past 2.5 years and had 3 CS events. Trijicon, I've owned 3 thermals over the past 2 years and had 2 CS events. BAE, 1 thermal over the past year and zero CS events.

So, maybe that data speaks for itself?

As to battery life, well, the new trails have big battery packs. That said, battery life is a big variable that also depends on the temperature and how you are using. My solution to battery life is to carry spares and practice changing batteries in the dark, 100 times with each type of unit. Then I don't think about battery life. My worst thermal in the worst conditions (sub-zero) last about 15m. The best one in the best conditions lasts several days. But I carry spares and practice changing in the dark for all of them. You can practice changing in the dark in the house. If you don't cheat, just close your eyes. Practice 10 times with looking and get familiar with everything, then try closing your eyes. The Zeus Pro was the toughest, because it you had to put a LOT of pressure on the 4 batteries while threading the cap on. But practice makes perfect.

==
The military thermals are WAY more rugged than the civilian ones ... but they cost WAY more. 2-3 years ago, Armasights cornered the civilian market on the low end ... for the past 1.5 years it has been Pulsar ... Trijicon has the middle end ... and various military thermals have the high end.

No way the PTS233 is going to do what you want out it. I have one and it’s good for what it does and at its price but it is limited. In my opinion for what you are looking to do magnification is crucial. However I saw on the other ar site that the 6x PTS has a crazy narrow FOV like 2* or something like that. So be sure to keep that in mind too.

Listen to Wig.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heineken