• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which training course for me?

cliffy110

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2020
I've read the books and understand the concepts... for the most part. Mil-dots still make me dizzy. I'm a good rifleman within my limits. I've taken 5 different practical and scout rifle classes and I am pretty good at the fundamentals. I earned an "expert" rating twice from Tom Russell in his scout rifle class. I'm quick and pretty good out to 300 yards with a scout rifle. Position shooting, running the gun, transitions, sling use and all forms of jackass positions are solid.

I'm ready to move forward with my learning but I'm a bit specific about what I want to accomplish. I don't have a 1000 yard range, nor do I ever envision a need for me to shoot anything at that range. I'm not looking to change rifle platforms. I am a scout rifle kind of guy and my goal is to stretch the legs of that platform. I know that will handicap me from being competitive but winning a match isn't my goal.

I live in central VA and have a shooting buddy in Bristol TN who might also want to do this.

The rifle is a Steyr Scout with a Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 1.5-5X scope and a Ching sling. I want to learn how to hit reliably to 600 yards give or take. I need to understand wind calls and DOPE for that those ranges. I've been looking at the NRL Hunter series and I'd love to try the TN match if they do it again next year. Again, I realize I will not be competitive with this set-up but that's the kind of event that gets me fired up.

Any suggestions? I looked at the Treadproof class but am a bit intimidated by the description. I don't think I qualify as "an "intermediate to advanced precision shooter." I'm an intermediate to advanced rifle shooter, but not a precision shooter. Any class or private instructor recommendations?

BTW... thanks to Frank for the podcasts. I just got back from the scout class in NM and listened to them on the drive across the country. Great stuff.