• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which trigger should i buy (for PRS)

Cody S

Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
Building a new rifle. Ive used a jewel HVR trigger in my old prs gun and i love it.
some people say they have problems. Mine personally has not yet.
im going to get a new rifle (probably) on a mausingfield action.
this gun will be solely for competitions.
So as far as a R700 trigger...
which brand of trigger and why?
Whats your favorite weight for this type of use?
lets pretend money is no object for this.
thanks in advance

If you've used and love the Jewell, why change? Just wanting to try something different? That's where I'm at as a current Timney CE shooter. I am convinced that I am going to roll with the Bix N' Andy Benchrest trigger. It's a bit spendy at 450.00, but my smith says it's the cat's pajamas (he's a Jewell guy too). Can get down to something stupid like 1oz, yet not have the slamfire issue that Jewell's will experience at his weight. From what he said, they also won't have the issues that Jewell's sometimes have with sand and debris messing up their function.

I presently run a Timney CE down to 10oz. It's a decent trigger for 170.00, but the Bix is supposed to be the pinnacle of quality triggers. They do have a "TacSport" model coming out late May, which uses the same ball bearing system that their benchrest model utilizes, it's just that the TacSport will not go down to 1oz, it's lowest weight will be 10oz.

ETA - TacSport substantially less, looks like it will be about 230-250ish.

I've tried Jewell, Timney Calvin Elite, and the first Bix-n-Andy model they released for the 700 and clones. The Jewell is my favorite of the bunch. The Timney seems solid. But it's got more of a crisp and snappy break. Which, personally, I don't like on a match rifle because it causes the rifle to move. I want the trigger to break cleanly and repeatably. But not with such force that it disturbs my sight picture. The Jewell does have a *small* amount of give/creep/sponginess. But it still has a clean break. And it prevents your finger from disturbing the rifle. The Bix-n-Andy was horrible. Made of soft aluminum, I couldn't get it set at the advertised pull weights (I tried all the springs), and the actual break wasn't very pleasant. If you're shooting a legit benchrest gun on a sled from a sitting position... maybe it's a better application. But for a PRS-style match/tactical rifle... nope.

A buddy of mine told me to look into trigger tech R700 special trigger and it looks real nice and not to spendy either, only 190$.
im willing to spend as much as i have to for the best trigger possible. But most of my friends use either the jewel or the timney CE so my expierence is very limited.
i cant see myself honestly going any lighter than about 2lbs give or take. But im new to the sport, my opinion changes in a daily basis.
ive never used a 2 stage in anything, except my old desert tech but i liked it. It wasnt crap compared to my jewell imho.
maybe you guys have more refined trigger fingers than me, but my jewell is set to right around 2.5-3lbs, but seems to have absolutely no "slack" or sponginess or anything of the sort. Is mine an oddball, or can i just not discern those microscopic levels, the world may never know.
again my jewel just went through a good day in the tennessee mud and rain and it didnt have any problems what so ever. Could again be luck or im to stupid to realise what they were. But it went bang every time i wanted it to and not a moment before

Last edited:
Thx for the advice on xtsp and huber. Never heard of either but ill check them out

Love my huber as well. Something about the two stage seems to help as a subconscious reminder to squeeze even in a stressful situation.

Doesn't really matter brand or type as long as it breaks clean where you want it. My rifles have had tuned old style Rem 700 triggers in them for years and they work fine. Break clean around 2-2.5 pounds. I have a Timney 510 on two rifles that didn't have triggers and they work equally well. Any of the triggers mentioned will work. Pick one, install it and shoot.

I am running the cg Xtreme mod 22 trigger. It is very smooth easy to adjust and crazy crisp. Took 2 tries to get it exactly where I wanted it but has remained there through 180 rounds without a hiccup. I would recommend.

Reactions: Alwaysforlearning
Doesn't really matter brand or type as long as it breaks clean where you want it. My rifles have had tuned old style Rem 700 triggers in them for years and they work fine. Break clean around 2-2.5 pounds. I have a Timney 510 on two rifles that didn't have triggers and they work equally well. Any of the triggers mentioned will work. Pick one, install it and shoot.

Rob thats true, and Rob is one of the experts here, so I'm not going to dispute him. But for me, in my more limited experience, some of the triggers mentioned here have not worked will if I let a little dust and dirt get into them. Huber has some ball berrings built into it that seem to keep the gunk out of the important stuff. I've had good luck with them.

https://youtu.be/qPAWMKSdkLc

Rob is an expert, he knows how to keep things tuned clean and humming along. I'm not, I just want my trigger to work!

You are 100% right that reliability is a key concern and assume others think that too but I shouldn't. That is part of the reason I run the Remington tuned triggers as they just plain work. They have been in down pours and dirty dusty and muddy conditions and kept working. I don't do anything special to them and honestly don't do anything except blow a little air through them after a match where they got wet or dirty. Jewell are about the only trigger I would say not to use as I have seen quite a few have issues over the years at PRS matches.

I am running the cg Xtreme mod 22 trigger. It is very smooth easy to adjust and crazy crisp. Took 2 tries to get it exactly where I wanted it but has remained there through 180 rounds without a hiccup. I would recommend.

I've got six guns/guys running the CG Xtreme Mod 22 "Milspec" trigger in duty guns and they haven't let us down yet! I would highly recommend them as a two stage trigger.

@FourT6and2 - damn man, that's shitty to read that about the Bix triggers...I read one description, it called the Bix the "Ferrari" of single stage triggers. I figured the Huber and the Tubb triggers are about the same price, but I don't like two stage triggers (it's just my personal preference). In fact, I was going to buy an AIAX up until the point where I shot one. I just could not get used to that two stage trigger. I am not bashing any of these products, just wanted to reinforce the "personal preference" issue.

I had a TriggerTech in my hands last night, was going to buy it, but then bitched out. I would like to try one before I buy it. May sound stupid but I was mostly deterred from the fact that they cannot get the squeeze weight below 1lb. After running my CE at 10oz, I really do like the lighter squeeze weights.

I would make my life really simple and just run a Jewell, they are outstanding, but like Rob, I have seen them fail during matches. In fact, we have a mutual friend who is having two Jewell's on their way back to Jewell as I type this. I've heard from a Jewell dealer (same dude who had the TriggertTech) that they typically have the triggers for about 5-6 weeks before they get them returned.

I need to quit typing about this subject, I thought my analysis paralysis was bad before...shit.

ETA - This is not the first discussion that has spurred my curiosity into questioning why companies such as Geissele and JP haven't entered into the bolt rifle game? They obviously know what they're doing...I believe the Geissele (2 stage) and JP (single stage) AR triggers are unparalleled in their function. I bet they'd do well in the bolt rifle game, but I digress...

Last edited:
@FourT6and2 - damn man, that's shitty to read that about the Bix triggers...I read one description, it called the Bix the "Ferrari" of single stage triggers. I figured the Huber and the Tubb triggers are about the same price, but I don't like two stage triggers (it's just my personal preference). In fact, I was going to buy an AIAX up until the point where I shot one. I just could not get used to that two stage trigger. I am not bashing any of these products, just wanted to reinforce the "personal preference" issue.

I had a TriggerTech in my hands last night, was going to buy it, but then bitched out. I would like to try one before I buy it. May sound stupid but I was mostly deterred from the fact that they cannot get the squeeze weight below 1lb. After running my CE at 10oz, I really do like the lighter squeeze weights.

I would make my life really simple and just run a Jewell, they are outstanding, but like Rob, I have seen them fail during matches. In fact, we have a mutual friend who is having two Jewell's on their way back to Jewell as I type this. I've heard from a Jewell dealer (same dude who had the TriggertTech) that they typically have the triggers for about 5-6 weeks before they get them returned.

I need to quit typing about this subject, I thought my analysis paralysis was bad before...shit.

ETA - This is not the first discussion that has spurred my curiosity into questioning why companies such as Geissele and JP haven't entered into the bolt rifle game? They obviously know what they're doing...I believe the Geissele (2 stage) and JP (single stage) AR triggers are unparalleled in their function. I bet they'd do well in the bolt rifle game, but I digress...

For what it's worth, I've had a Jewell in my rifle for more than a year with zero problems. I've never cleaned it. But I'm not shooting in the pouring rain with mud and sludge. Dusty conditions? Sure. But nothing crazy. If I were shooting in really bad conditions, I might opt for a Timney or something. But I really like the feel of the Jewell. I've never tried any of the two-stagers though.

Texas Vet mentioned the XTSP triggers so I went to their website, lo and behold, they had a coming soon page for their new single stage offering. Info stated it would go from .5lb to 3.5lbs. That's pretty damn good. At least we have options.

I much prefer two stage triggers.

After trying a bunch of them, even the $500 Bix-n-Andy, I settled on the Tubb.

Some of my rifles have the AI factory two stage and they are my favorite.

At the risk of sounding like the cheap bastard I am... I would recomend the regular Trigger Tech R700 trigger. I've felt Timney's, Shilen's and the Trigger Tech, and I like Trigger Tech the most. Can't be beat for $125 imo. If you want something that goes lower than 1.5lbs, then they have the "special" model which will put you at 1 pound.

At first I was going to spring for a Jewell as well, because I thought I would REALLY like a SUPER light trigger.... But as it turns out, I realized I don't want anything under 1.5 pounds for PRS style matches, so I saved the money and bought the Trigger Tech. It's been super sturdy and reliable so far! But hey YMMV

I decided to go with the timney calvin elite, just because i tried them, liked them, and more importantly, it came on the used rifle i bought LoL. Mainly the last reason. Good trigger though, just need to adjust it down. Apparently my jewel was set to about 2 lbs and i like that weight.

I would go with:
A. Tubbs T7 2-stage trigger - great break adjustable and I haven't seen any fail during competition
B. X-Treme Shooting Mod22 - also a great 2-stage trigger also adjustable and also very low failure rate

I don't personally like the idea on the Huber that when you release tension from the trigger (without taking the shot) that the trigger doesn't reset.

I have seen Timney's and Jewells go down at competitions from dirt/dust/debris (multiple triggers of the same kind failing due to lots of wind blown sand)...

I have two Timney Calvin Elite Single Stage and love them. With my most recent rifle I went off and tried the 2 stage CE with flat trigger. I don't like it for all around competition, with the exception of mover stages.

Used a Timney 510, had issues one time on the range during a dust storm. Trigger would not fire, had to work it a bit to get the debris out, it worked after. I'm now using a Timney CE 2 stage, 2 lb total weight. No problems yet but I haven't had as much dirt in it as the 510. I had some creep in the CE's second stage when I got it, it's almost non existent after 2 months.

Like some others have said, i think the Tubb looks good.

Last edited:
I see that this thread hasn't been posted on in a while, but for the people doing searches, I thought I would drop in my experience and two cents. I have been shooting the Bix n Andy triggers for about 4 years and have never had a problem with any of them. I have the marksman and more recently the tacsport. Other than manufacturers changing the specs so that the triggers required different seers, I haven't even heard of any problems except in this thread. Not sure how someone got one to be "terrible". The adjustability and consistency is better than anything else I have bought and used including my Jewells, Trigger Tech, Timney and Shilen. These were all either a lot less (Marksman) or a little less (Tacsport) expensive than the BnA triggers, so there is that to consider. I have tried the Hubers on a buddies rifle and I do think it's interesting and he definitely likes it. I did watch a video where a guy got the BnA to fail to reset, but he had basically gotten a bunch of solvent in the trigger that dried up and was mechanically blocking the trigger from resetting. The triggers are user serviceable and all that was needed was a quick disassembly, cleaning and to put it back together.

For the record, I am not sponsored by anyone nor do I make any money from the shooting industry. These are simply my opinions and experience. I just wanted to get another BnA perspective out there because I felt the one in this thread was completely at odds with the performance I have experienced with them.

I've run Jewells, Shilen, Timney and Huber. The Huber is my favourite by some distance - If I could I'd have them in all my rifles (make one for Tikka's please!)
BP

At the risk of sounding like the cheap bastard I am... I would recomend the regular Trigger Tech R700 trigger. I've felt Timney's, Shilen's and the Trigger Tech, and I like Trigger Tech the most. Can't be beat for $125 imo. If you want something that goes lower than 1.5lbs, then they have the "special" model which will put you at 1 pound.

At first I was going to spring for a Jewell as well, because I thought I would REALLY like a SUPER light trigger.... But as it turns out, I realized I don't want anything under 1.5 pounds for PRS style matches, so I saved the money and bought the Trigger Tech. It's been super sturdy and reliable so far! But hey YMMV

+1 on the Trigger Tech standard model. For the money you can't beat those things. Ive had most of the high end triggers out there and will probably buy more of them in the future but for a PRS or tactical gun thats going to get beat up and/or if cost is a concern you just can't beat the performance to price value on the Trigger Tech.

I personally prefer single stage triggers, therefore i am using a Trigger Tech special which goes down to 1 lb. Trigger Tech also offers the Diamond model which goes down to 4 ounces.

Last edited:
Cadex 2 Stage here. Breaks clean and never had it fail me yet, even after a multi day shooting course on the windy/dusty bald a$$ prairies.

Huber Warning: I took a chance and tried a Huber two-stage. I immediately became hooked and now have six.

For those with the Huber, what poundage do you guys all run on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those with the huber, what poundage you guys have?

Been running the Tubb t7t for a couple years now and it has never let me down rain, dust, mud, ice it just works. Highly adjustable and imo a very nice feel. It does take some relieving to get it to fit in your stock but it’s worth it.

Those with the huber, what poundage you guys have?

I went with a 12 oz /12 oz trigger. I have a few in stock if you are looking for a new trigger.