• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Which upper for deer and pig hunting?

Laser1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2009
The Great State of Texas
Got a AR-15 Bushy lower ready to go, but can't decide on which upper to put on it for deer and pig hunting out to no more than 200 yards. Anyone have any thoughts?

Re: Which upper for deer and pig hunting?

I have a friend that hunts a lot with his 6.8.

it will be hard to argue the 6.8 .......doesn't the 458 and 450 have something like a 12" drop at 200?????

6.8 with an 85 grain TSX would be good. I would think the the new WSSM (243 or 25) cases would be awesome in an AR for hunting. Even a 6.5 grendel would be fine.

I'm using a .223 with excellent results. I would like to step up to the 6.8 SPC though.

Haven't killed any pigs with it, but a 25Wizzer pushing a 100gr TSX @ 3100'ish has worked well on a few whitetails for me...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haven't killed any pigs with it, but a 25Wizzer pushing a 100gr TSX @ 3100'ish has worked well on a few whitetails for me... </div></div>
What are you wizzing about! LOL! Never heard of it. Tell me more about this round. That's fast out of an AR platform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haven't killed any pigs with it, but a 25Wizzer pushing a 100gr TSX @ 3100'ish has worked well on a few whitetails for me... </div></div>
What are you wizzing about! LOL! Never heard of it. Tell me more about this round. That's fast out of an AR platform. </div></div>

25 WSSM

To answer the earlier question, the drop on a 450 or 458 is easily dealt with from a BDC reticle. It's going to pack a serious whomp though, even at 200y I'm pretty sure those heavy, flat nosed bullets will slam a pig broadside.

You can also get the loads in excess of 2200 fps with the right bullets, and they have BC's on the same kind of level as a 30-30. Lots of animals have died at the trigger of a kid using Kentucky windage and a 30-30 past 100y. I've done it myself.

while the 25wssm would be my first choice, i havent had a problem knocking them down with my 223 ar upper this year.

so far 223 ar spr upper 2 deer 0

I'm not entirely comfortable using my .223 although I have taken a few small pigs with it. I am looking for something with a bit more thump maybe out to 400 yrds if needed. Just not in the same league as some of you in the skill level. Thanks for any and all comments. I heard something about Rem coming out with some 30 cal for an AR platform, but dont' know anything about it.

300 OSSM 150gr bullet at 2950. New from Olympic arms.
Necked up 25wssm case. Should be interesting if it becomes available soon.

458 SOCOM will smash the hell out of anything with in 200 yds. IF I ever do a pig hunt, i'm bringin mine.

Just knocked one down with my 458 , 300 grn JHP, it was like closing the lid on a piano..It is gonna be my go to from now on.

After some review, it looks like the 6.8 will be about right. Any particular uppers to stay away from or to consider for purchase. Looking for good hunting accuracy to 400 yrds max. Also, what barrel length, twist rate, off the shelf ammo...etc. Thanks.

Are all of you crazy
smile.gif
only one The "WULF"